PDA

View Full Version : Silent Film Star - Fabric Collage

diane555
03-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone
I had posted this in the drawing & sketching forum because I started it as a part of last Saturday's Art Event, but I think it really belongs in here. This is from a portrait of silent film star Lupe Velez. I decided it would be more fun in color :D Not finished yet, but I'm having a great time working on it. It started at about 25" X 30" but seems to be growing and I have borders to add before it gets quilted. I don't normally work in these colors so this is a fun change for me.

Di

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2002/starsd.jpg

CarlyHardy
03-06-2002, 10:20 PM
This is wonderful, Diane! Is she painted on the fabric? or entirely collaged? She looks as if she should have a coke in her hand!
carly

diane555
03-07-2002, 07:50 AM
Hi Carly

Thanks form the nice comment. She is entirey fabric. Occaisionally I use some paint or permanent pens but I enjoy the challenge of doing it all in fabric. I can always enhance things later with different threads on the sewing machine. Here is a copy of the photo I worked from in there is anyone that hasn't seen it. She does look like she should be holding something, which I why I put her other glove in that hand...in the pic there was one missing :D

Di :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2002/lupe.jpg

Leaflin
03-07-2002, 10:52 AM
:clap: Hi Diane :clap:
I love this.
What a wonderful talent you have.
I love to quilt and so much enjoy seeing others express themselves with this form of art.
Thanks for posting this :)

geeperstx
03-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Wow Diane! Your work is really wonderful. The colors are especially nice. I was wondering, is the background pieced together from fabric you found or did you dye it yourself? It almost looks marbeled. What kind of fabric markers do you use?

Great subject too!

GB

MissMouse
03-09-2002, 08:35 AM
This is so cool - my first visit to this forum boy have I been missing out.

TeAnne
03-10-2002, 10:12 AM
My God, this is sooooooo good. I'm envious. Well done. :cat:

diane555
03-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Hi all

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Leaflin: I truly love to quilt but I think because I was an artist long before a quilter the two mediums just kind of melded together. I love traditional quilts as well and am currently working on a hand appliqued quilt in hand dyed fabrics on a black bkground.

Geeperstx: Some of them I hand dyed and many of them were a gift sent to me by a friend back home that has her own little business. I haven't done much with fabric markers...I prefer Procion fibre reative dyes. I love the lush rich color that can be attained with them. The rest are purchased prints and batiks.

Miss Mouse: Thank you and we all hope to see you in here more :)

Teeannne: It's great fun...give it a try sometime.

Below is an update with the new borders. I am almost ready to start the machine work on this and then I will be embellishing by hand. I got a great deal on a string of fresh water pearls that I intend to use on this.

Di

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2002/lupebb.jpg

sassybird
03-11-2002, 02:12 AM
I'm impressed, Diane. I am a fibers artists as well as a fine art printmaker. I want to combine my printing on sheer materials and do a collage with other materials. Isn't it great fun? I am a hound for material, and I also use a lot of natural fibers in my work also. If you have more of this type work to show I would love to see it.

diane555
03-11-2002, 08:01 AM
Hi Sassybird. Thanks for the kind words. I too am a fabric addict!!! Luckily for me my hubby finds it amusing as I stalk the aisles of fabric, upholstry & antique stores :D The trouble is finding a way to organize it all that makes sense and still leaves me room in this studio to sculpt some days! I am just beginning a series of sculpted people in clay that I will incoorporate miniature quilts into after firing.
I have a couple more fabric pieces on the go and I'll post them soon. I'll have to look for more of your work. I'd love to see what you are doing also.

I've done very little printmaking yrs ago but haven't spent as much time on it as I would have liked. Right now I am trying out a new product called "bubble jet set" to print permanently onto fabric with my computer. I've designed some of my own fabric with this process and it's an excellent way to print pics & photos without having that iron-on stuff on the fabric. I want to try creating a sort of collage (of architecture, people etc) in photoshop and use the resulting fabric in my pieces. have you tried this product at all?
Di

onefromheaven
03-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Diane, :clap: :clap: What a talented lady you are!You've captured so much here. I am just amazed with this type of work and your endless creativity. Well done and thanks for sharing the pic's:clap:

baquitania
03-11-2002, 05:10 PM
I love seeing the progress on this... was startled by it's creative explosion when you first posted it... It just keeps getting better...

Ivyleaf
03-12-2002, 02:56 AM
Oh wow...you do some amazing work!!

:D :D :D
Ivy

artbabe21
03-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Diane! This is stunning!! Wow! :clap:

I have seen this art form with torn papers in collage, but I looked at it and said, naw, I'd rather use paint, though I think I'd enjoy the challenge of using paper or fabrics!! Great colors and your subject is delightful!! Keep up the good work!
Cathleen~