PDA

View Full Version : The Daisies - WIP

RandyC
05-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Been working on this new flower piece and it is taking me forever. Here is what I have so far. It will be 18.5" x 12" when done. What I have here is about 5" x 12". I'm working on Strathmoore cold press watercolor paper 400 series. Using a 2 x 0 rapidograph. I was going to add color when I was done inking, but I may let it stand alone. C&C welcome.

Jakeally
05-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi Randy .... you have a great start here. Wonderful depth and a good range of tones. It's going to be a beauty.

MonicaB
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Really nice start, Randy!

CPM
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Randy, Looking great! I like the perspective (like I am looking straight down on the daisy patch). This really stands out. Keep up the good work. - Chris

RandyC
05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I just noticed the type-o in the title. It should say the Daisies. I guess I was was up too late last night :)

sassybird
05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Randy, this will stand fine on it's own without color. I love how you have the stems mixed in with the flowers, which are great:D

ARTMUTT
05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
This is great. It almost has a wood-cut feel to it, as far as color how were you going to add it? with a brush or with a pen? Either way I think it will look fantastic!!!:thumbsup:

viking57
05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi Randy,
This is looking really good. I really like your nice use of the rich darks to pop the flouwers out and add mystery to the piece. Excellent! Why not scan it before adding color so you can have both versions. Looking forward to seeing the completed piece.
Ron

RandyC
05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
This is great. It almost has a wood-cut feel to it, as far as color how were you going to add it? with a brush or with a pen? Either way I think it will look fantastic!!!:thumbsup:

I add color with watercolor pencils. I've done this in the past with great results.

Why not scan it before adding color so you can have both versions

good idea. I was going to scan it and do a quick color in photoshop to see if I liked it.If I decide to add color I'll get a good B+W scan first.

signman drew
05-30-2006, 11:25 PM
WOW Randy, lots of lights and darks on this one. Its coming out really good. Drew

ManuelHampton
05-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey Randy,

That is some great work. When you choose your plant victims to draw, do you draw the actual plant in real time or does it come from your memory? I’ve drawn flowers and plants but never a grouping of them. It seems I have to focus on a flower or two.

RandyC
05-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey Randy,

That is some great work. When you choose your plant victims to draw, do you draw the actual plant in real time or does it come from your memory? Iíve drawn flowers and plants but never a grouping of them. It seems I have to focus on a flower or two.

I am drawing this from a reference photo. I have draw from life, but this is too big and time consuming to do that. Half the flowers would be dead by the time I get done.:)

ManuelHampton
05-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Randy,

I know what you mean. :) Great work!

DBSullivan
05-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Randy, I'm not really into flowers, but I like this a lot! The ink work is excellent. I like the crop you did, and the sense of chaos you've established. I suppose that sorta thing appeals to me.. chaos, that is! ;)

This (to me) is a perfect example of "it's not what you draw, but how you draw it".... great job!

btw - definitely print out a copy to play with the color... I'm an avid supporter of that practice! I use colored pencils to color my prints. You mentioned watercolor pencils.... do you use them dry, or do you go wet?

RandyC
06-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks Manuel

You mentioned watercolor pencils.... do you use them dry, or do you go wet?

Thanks Dave.

I put them on dry, then use a brush dipped in water to mush the color around. I have tried tube watercolors, but with poor results. I'm not very good at mixing colors. The watercolor pencils give me much better control of the colors.

valchina612
06-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Randy, this is really brilliant. I love it to bits. One of my favourite subjects to work on is all-over floral work, in various mediums, including Ink, and I would be tickled pink if I had a piece like this one. Super work so far. I love how the petals and foliage intertwine so well. I'm looking really forward to your next update. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

ARTMUTT
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I use colored pencils also in my work--great idea about scanning and playing around with color--hmmmm wonder how many drawings I could have saved if I had done this before I added color, hated the color and ripped the drawing to shreds in frustration!!!:rolleyes:

RandyC
06-02-2006, 09:28 AM
valchina612 - Thanks for the very kind words. I'll update again this weekend. I have another inch or two done.

hmmmm wonder how many drawings I could have saved if I had done this before I added color, hated the color and ripped the drawing to shreds in frustration!!!:rolleyes:

That is what I am afraid of. After all the time I am putting into this the last thing I want to do is ruin it by adding color or the wrong color. I am not going to add color to the original piece. I'm going to look into printing on watercolor paper and color that.

Vegas Art Guy
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope you go with a couple of splashes of color. I really like how it looks so far though!

Alison2
06-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Beautiful work Randy!

I love it just as it is, but playing about with colour on copies would be worth doing too. It's gorgeous!

Alison2:wave:

DSPIT
06-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Love the contrast and spontaniaty (sp?). make sure you post the color one, will be interesting as well.

RandyC
06-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I fell a little behind with a busy weekend, but here is the latest update. Slowly but surely I'll get it done.

viking57
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Randy,
This is coming along nicely....that's a lot of stems to be working around. You are giving them a nice effect with your use of shadow in there. Looking great so far.
Ron

ARTMUTT
06-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Randy,

This is looking great--I like the layers you've acheived with the stems and the values--very very nice:thumbsup:

Ranger Dan
06-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Wonderful work! Are you using super light pencil sketch or no pencil at all? Either way it is coming out great, I just know I could get that kind of detail without pencil lines to help. At least not at my current level of concentration.

RandyC
06-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, I have a pencil drawing down first. I would mess up way too much if I didn't. Here is a pict of my set up. You can see a bit of the pencil drawing on the left side of the piece.

mel-ink
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Wow, this is such a great piece!! And so big!! :eek: Looking forward to how it finishes up...you have a winner so far!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DBSullivan
06-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Looking great, Randy! And thanks for the "big picture". It's always interesting to see how big the piece really is.

Jakeally
06-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Wowee ... looking fantastic Randy:clap: :clap:

CPM
06-10-2006, 09:49 AM
This coming out great! Awesome composition. Great depth! - Chris

valchina612
06-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I love this Randy. The intermingling of the stems is great and your flowers really sit up beautifully. It is going to look so super when it is finished, framed and hanging on the wall. :clap: :thumbsup:

MonicaB
06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
This is looking great!

RWSewell
06-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Seeing your full image set up on the table helped me appreciate your goal and intentions. This is going to be incredible when finished - the texture alone will have people looking again and again. Add color? You wouldn't want to overshadow the rich detail of the stem by adding a new element...but then that's what copies are good for!

Actually saw this on your blog first and had to poke my head in here to say...:thumbsup: !

Rob

RandyC
06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. You are very kind. I hope to wrap this piece up this coming weekend.

I have given up the idea of adding color. That was my original intention, but the piece is very strong on it's own.

marcs_art
06-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Randy - Beautiful work. The shading gives it great depth. My vote is for the B&W version. Ron's suggestion is a good one, scan before coloring, if you decide to that way. Thanks for all the views. Would love to see some close-ups of the finished product (both versions). Really nice piece. - Marc

RachelFlyer
06-16-2006, 01:15 AM
I was thinking color, back when I thought the piece was SMALL, but now?
Nope.

ARTMUTT
06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I have given up the idea of adding color. That was my original intention, but the piece is very strong on it's own.

Randy,

I agree the piece is strong as a black/white without the color--I think it will be wonderful when you finish it...can't wait to see it....:thumbsup:

Meisie
06-17-2006, 01:20 PM
This is really beautiful!

Meisie

tanianault
06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Beautiful! I love the detail - getting lost among the flowers and foliage is just wonderful.
I love black and white, so if you're still accepting votes... don't colour it!

- Tania

RandyC
06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks again for all the kind comments, You're certainly giving me a BIG head.

I am in the home stretch. I should be able to finish this up in the next couple of days. Meanwhile here are a couple of close-ups.

RWSewell
06-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Mmmmm...so close you can almost smell them...or is that the ink?

Looking forward to the finish...and I applaud your patience! -Rob

RandyC
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
It's done, it is finally done. It was so big I had to scan it in four steps and put it together in photoshop. The specs again: 18.5" x 12" Done on strathmoore 500 series watercolor paper with a 00 rapidograph. The watercolor paper was not ideal for pen & ink, but my original intent was to color it when I was done. I'm not going to do that. With I had use bristol board, but too late now.

ARTMUTT
06-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Randy,

This is awesome!!! I love it, love it, love it!! Did I mention that I love it?:p

I like how you filled the space and the darks and lights really play off each other very well in the different layers.....this is one of my favorite WIPs:thumbsup:

ewin
06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Wow, I love it! And I definitely think its looks great left in black & white. the texture is amazing! And the size, WOW, that's a lot of lines!

DBSullivan
06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Randy, This really came out great! The composition/crop is outstanding! As I mentioned earlier, I don't care much for "flower art", but I really like this alot!This can definitely fall into the category, "it's not always what you draw, it's how you draw it"! :thumbsup: Well done!

Now what you should do is take this to your local printing shop to have a few laser copies done on card stock, either full size or some 8.5 x 11 reductions. (they can be scanned up to 11" x 17" so you'd lose a bit of the edge). I do this everytime I finish a piece.... for my 8.5 x 11 portfolio, to have "backup copies", and to play around with color. Also, the 8.5 x 11 reduction fits nicely on my scanner to get crystal clear images for my website.

Again.. really nice job on this!

Jakeally
06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Absolutely outstanding work Randy. You should be well and truely proud of yourself. This is a beautiful work of art:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MonicaB
06-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Them's a lot of daisies. :D And purty ones, too.

objectivistartist
06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
yes - awesome it is.... almost photographic.... great job....... Robert

RWSewell
06-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Absolutely phenomenal, Randy, and worth every mind-numbing minute spent. Good decision to stay b/w, by the way. Beautiful piece.

So...have you thought more about tackling a stipple piece? :thumbsup: Rob

RandyC
06-23-2006, 09:33 AM
ARTMUTT & ewin - Thanks very much

Dave - Thanks. And I like the idea of the local print shop. I will look into that.

Jakeally, Mionica and Robert - Many thanks too

So...have you thought more about tackling a stipple piece? :thumbsup: Rob

As a matter of fact , yes. I even know what I am going to do. I have a few conte drawings lined up first then I am going to stipple. I'll get the iced tea ready :D

Meisie
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Gorgeous !!!!!!! :clap:

Meisie

valchina612
06-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Randy, this is absolutely superb. I really do appreciate floral penwork, and you have done this brilliantly. I love the way you have layered the flowers and the way you have the foliage. I have some great photos of my daisies, so I just might have to put a daisy drawing on the bottom of my list (I know I'm safe, as I'm not even scratching the top of the list at the moment). It would be hard to come anywhere near this great work of yours. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maori boy
06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey Randy … this has turn out Great!

I’m kinda partial 2 Black & White … however; I feel that perhaps these daises should be in Colour?

mauricar
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
This absolutely beautiful. Love it!

marcs_art
06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Randy - The finished piece is beautiful. The composition has great flow and balance, making it very visually pleasing. Very nice job on a complex subject. - Marc

viking57
06-27-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi Randy,
You did outstanding work here on this one. You have great detail and managed to keep a nice spectrum of values here. I think you added just the right amount of very dark values while slipping in some "lighter" darks which when added to the medium values and lights give the piece excellent depth and works really well here. Very nice work Randy!
Ron

Ranger Dan
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Very, Very nice! I think you aught to make cards of this and hand color each one! LOL. You really made this one come alive. It was a pleasure to watch.