PDA

View Full Version : Can you revise a Featured Plus Auction?

CathyD
03-06-2002, 01:00 AM
I just ran my first featured plus auction. I started my painting out a little higher to compensate for the additional cost. I have just under 2 days left and was wondering if my minimum bid should have been lower.
So here is the question.... can you revise a featured plus auction without losing the featured plus feature?? The reason I asked is I decided to try to revise it to a little lower minimum bid, but when I got to the last page where you submit it, I didn't see that it stil had featured plus anywhere, so I backed out and didn't change anything. I would think it would still be featured, but I didn't want to risk it without knowing for sure.

Cathy

arteitaliana
03-06-2002, 01:27 AM
As far as I know there is no problem in revising featured plus....I have done a couple of times....The auction will remain Featured Plus.
Listing with a high minimum does not encourage early bidding. I just had one bid on mine after about 150 hits because it was listed at $49!!
Had I listed at $29 I would have had 3 or 4 bids already.
Listing featured plus will not guarantee better final amounts right away, but it will increase your visibility and in time increase your sales.
This takes time, and some of your work will be sold at little or no profit. Consider it a promotion expense !!

;)

CathyD
03-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Thanks Rita, I went in and revised the auction and all is good... well... will be when I get a bid!:)
You are right it will take time to get better prices. I just need to find out where my market starts.
Your kitties in the wheelbarrow are darling! And you had early bids! So far so good!
Thanks,
Catherine

arteitaliana
03-07-2002, 03:31 AM
I am glad I was able to help, Cathy.
Your pears are quite beautiful. Love the composition and the colors.I would have deepened some darks, if you don't mind me saying so. Contrast is important...it makes the image "pop" , the lights lighter and the colors more vibrant.. The kitties are doing surprisingly well...never thought that cats were so popular.I have never painted cats before...but maybe I will paint them again!!
Keep listing featured, once in a while...and remember those darks!!

CathyD
03-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Thanks Rita, I appreciate the advice about darks. I have noticed the paintings that have the most contrast and really 'stick out' in the thumbnail get more views.
How did your cats end up? Your auction ended while I was at work and I wasn't able to watch it close. This has been a good lesson to me about starting at a lower price. My pears didn't sell, do you think I should give feature plus another go with them? Only at an even lower price? And I should darken it up a touch.

I had one painting on auction that I listed at $1 and it sold for $20. The funny thing is I listed it before at $20 and it didn't sell. Then I listed it again at $15 and it didn't sell again. You just never know I guess.

Thanks Rita
Cathy

CathyD
03-15-2002, 02:31 AM
Rita, I took your advice and darkened the darks. Then tonight about 5 hours ago, I put it back up for auction and did the featured plus. As you had suggested I put it at a lower minimum bid.... $25 and guess what? I already have one bid and have had 54 views! Hurray!

Of course this is the second go round with a featured plus cost, so hopefully I will sell it for more than $40. I am looking at it as marketing and a learning curve, so it is worth it, I think.... we will know just exactly how much it's 'worth it' by the end of the auction. :p

Thank you for your help!
Cathy

arteitaliana
03-16-2002, 02:43 AM
Well done, Cathy!! I am glad this strategy is working for you. Evan if you sell it at $25, as long as you recoup the ebay fees, I think it is worth it because your work will have been seen by more people.
The "kitties" sold for $153.50, had 15 bids and over 500 hits. A disappointed bidder wrote me saying that she was very sorry to have lost it.
I wrote back and offered a replica for $150. She was very happy to accept and the day after bought one of my new listings with a BIN for $139. She said she did not want to risk loosing this one.(she has already paid for both).
So the kitties did well indeed!!
This week has not been as good as last one. I have a featured plus at 200 hits and no bids. The other all have bids, but nothing comparable to the kitties. No reason to get discouraged, ebay comes and goes. The main thing is to improve our work, be out there were people can see us and don't worry if the items sell for little, as long as they sell and we don't loose money.

Painting is fun after all!!:clap:

CathyD
03-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Rita, the kitties are a wonderful ebay success story! Congratulations!

I agree with you totally, as long as things are selling even if for a little we are doing good! After all where else can you get paid to learn, improve and LOVE what you are doing like this?

When something sells for not as much as I would like, I figure, oh well, I can always paint another painting~there are a lot of ideas in my head just waiting to be put on watercolor paper!

Thanks, your work and success are pretty inspiring!
Cathy

arteitaliana
03-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by CathyD
[B
When something sells for not as much as I would like, I figure, oh well, I can always paint another painting [/B]

I agree Cathy. We should not consider every piece we paint, important. What is important is to keep painting.:cat:

kjsspot
03-16-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
The "kitties" sold for $153.50, had 15 bids and over 500 hits. A disappointed bidder wrote me saying that she was very sorry to have lost it.
I wrote back and offered a replica for $150. She was very happy to accept and the day after bought one of my new listings with a BIN for $139.

Wow Rita!!! WTG!!! Can I be like you when I grow up?? =) You did very well indeed!

Sumafra
03-16-2002, 11:28 PM
Wow, Rita, way to go. That's excellent. Can I ask what you mean by a replica? Will you paint another similar picture for her or did you mean a print of the same one???

Anyway, kudos to you for being inventive. And Congratulations! :clap:

arteitaliana
03-17-2002, 04:08 AM
A replica is...painting exactly the same painting again!!.It retains it's value of originality because it's never an exact copy.
I don't do it for more complex paintings, but the kitties were a new and fun subject for me and I needed the practice. The painting is almost finished...I have to work on the eyes a bit more. Cat eyes are very expressive and very difficult. Also they are very small in this particular painting ...a dot of black, and two of yellow...they have to be the right size and in the right place otherwise the expression change incredibly. Somehow is easier for me to do a handpainted replica that go to the trouble of making a print. I wouldn't know where to start.
Also, not to offend anybody, I don't like prints.
Just a personal opinion. I belong to the old school, and I see prints as a way of enjoying artwork that is financially unobtainable for most people.(Prints are becoming what posters used to be.) The kind of work I do, does not deserve,in my opinion, to be made into prints.
:D

CathyD
03-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Your work is wonderful Rita!
Tomorrow my relisting of the pears will end, it is up to $42 with 477 or so views, so I at least made back the (double) feature plus costs. There are several bidders and I am hoping it will go a lot higher. The last day of an auction is fun to watch.
I let you know how it turned out.

arteitaliana
03-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Congratulations, Cathy!!

$91.00 and 14 bids for the "pears" is pretty good!! Way to go, girl!

:clap:

CathyD
03-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Thanks Rita, it's pretty exciting. I think I like this featured plus thing. I had 646 views too. My other painting that was up as a regular auction received 145 views. Usually I only get around a hundred. So that was good too. That one only had a couple of bidders and went for 26.50. The lady who won it is a repeat buyer.

Thanks for help, Rita I really appreciate it.
Cathy