PDA

View Full Version : Resizing

girasole
05-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I originally asked this in the welcome section and have scoured this forum and the drawing and sketching forum, but I can't seem to find an answer.

I am a graphic artist who has recently discovered the beauty of pastels. I have taken a couple of art classes, but have forgotten the correct procedure for measuring a pastel board to proportionately resize an image. For example: If I am working from an 8 1/2 x 11 photo and want to reproduce it proportionately larger, how would I go about doing that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn

KA Obee
05-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Many people use the grid system. Place a clear grid over your photo (created on acetate) and then lightly draw a larger grid, but with the same number of squares, on your paper. Then you can sketch from the photo, using the grid to check your proportions, etc.

Your other option (speaking as a graphic artist myself) is to simply scan in your photo and blow it up, or trace the photo and blow up a copy of the tracing.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.
KA

Scorpio
05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Girasole,

There is a tool called the "Prospek" which is a type of proportional divider. It is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. You kind of have to play with it....one side lets you measure the image "as is," the other side measures how you want it to be, once you get the adjustments correct.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0032839000000

Right now it is $6.00 at Jerry's. They have another more expensive one that I have been tempted to get every once in a while, but the cheapie seems to work really well for me.

Emilie

Bringer
05-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Hi,

You can also use a pantograph.
Once I even posted a link on how to build one.

Regards,

Josť

girasole
05-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the information, which I am sure will be useful, but what I was looking for, and found, was this:

http://www.tpub.com/content/photography/14130/css/14130_128.htm

I know it is a very simple procedure, and I couldn't for the life of me remember how to do it... All is good now.:D

Anyway, I guess I really needed to form my question better.

Lynn