PDA

View Full Version : getting a likness is TOUGH!

Smokin
05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2006/65236-DOH.jpg

Ah just venting. One person i find impossible to draw is Susan Sarandon. Just one tough cookie to draw IMO. Anyway I tried to see what comes out, and i fidddled and fiddled, and still dont feel like its a good likness. I even redrew the darn thing and that turned out worse.Dunno, i see a lil something i can try, but oye, its a lil frustrating. K thanks for letting me vent, ill post the final when i finally stop bitching and get it done. :D

justjean
05-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Frank she is beautiful :thumbsup: and I love the skin tones and shading but I think it's her cheekbones . maybe more on an angle and further away from her nose?

Annie*M
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
She is beautiful and I can see the likeness:thumbsup: . You wouldn't want to see me try this:lol:

barryt
05-24-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't know Susan Sarandon, but this looks great to me, Frank. Love the colour palette. Perhaps her right cheekbone is a smidgen lower than her left? Great work.

maria_khurram
05-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Frank, I neither know the person but the painting is beautiful.

JCoop
05-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Frank, I recognized her right away. The best thing to do is to take a break and return with fresh eyes. The important thing is that you've indeed captured her essense. I really don't feel that a spot on perfect likeness is necessary. I really like it!.:thumbsup:

Chiers
05-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Frank I think this is good and immediately recognized her. Did you use a recent reference for her? I ask because I saw her on tv recently and I would say that you have captured her very well!

I have a terrific coffee table book of portraits of famous people and this is every bit as good as many of the pictures in that book. I have to tell you, if that book was full of photographs of these people I would not even own it let alone have ever bothered to even look at. If you are familiar with the subject you can look at any one of the paintings and know who it is yet they don't resemble a photo in any way shape or form. And in my opinion that is exactly what makes a painted portrait a work of art, instead of a photographic image copy. So, don't be so hard on yourself.

Yako
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
This is one of my favorite actresses, i've seen her in some movies and her unique way of acting, very natural.

When i saw your portrait i guessed inmediately it was her, so there is a lot of likeness. I agree about what Joel said.

myrairving
05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I think you definately caught a likeness. I knew who it was right away. The only thing I notice is she looks her age, but at the same time younger and it's confusing me. :lol: Wonderful though.

TxAggieDarlin
05-25-2006, 10:46 AM
oh yeah, I knew who it was........I love the way she turned out and would be thrilled if I had painter her LOL

Smokin
05-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Awww that you all so much. Im sorry I dindt respond soon, but i was sick :(.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2006/65236-DOH_copy.jpg
Ref:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2006/65236-susan_sarandon_05.jpg

Ok, calling this piece done, I just dont want to see it ever again, Maybe in several months Ill try to draw another one of Susan, But for now it is what it is.

Jean, Thank you so Much, ... You know Id love so see your pallets. I'm currently seeing what I can do with what I have now, but Ultimatly, i would love to be able to render out Skintones with suckh richness as you do.

Anni, Berry, & Maria, Thank you so much.

Joel, Great advice, it always seems like the best changes happens when I've gotten away from the piece and came back with freash eyes. Unnfortunatly, didnt happen with this one. I came back and made some good changes, but I think i came back, made changes and ended up feeling like i made things worse and came back to a previous saved iteration several times actually. Yeah, I think there is some likness, But IMO just not enough, I think this has to do with the initial quick sketch
(guessing), the first 2 mins of the drawing. Dont know just brainstorming here really, I do know it's possible to capture more of an essence of a person than I have, and dont even need to be anywhere close to the reference img.

Chier thank you for the input and the images you've shared. Yeah, believe it or not i dont try to go for photo realistic :P. One day Ill be working on being uber loose, not just yet though.

Yako, Same here! She is HOT :evil: ! Natural is the exact word i would use. I not saying this is her, but I love that she makes me think she is not into botox, silicone, or all that other crap you see too many women into.... Sorry, doing mean to offend any barbie wannabe here, .... im talk bout other barbie wanabees :P

Rair and Aggie, thank you so much. I do see a lil likness, I just cant help but feel there is a tool , technique, method, that im missing that would really help bring home the likness. Somthing where people dont have to intamitly know Susan, but definetly know they've seen her before type of thing.

justjean
05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Frank

Jean, Thank you so Much, ... You know Id love so see your pallets. I'm currently seeing what I can do with what I have now, but Ultimatly, i would love to be able to render out Skintones with suckh richness as you do.

um I don't have any pallets :o but what I do do is ... take the image into PSP7 (don't care for Painters colour thingy)and play with the colour controls and when I find something I like I go from there (which is usualy on the dark side ) I save the image . then using that image with the colour picker I put down my base colours at about 50/75% and then go over them with the opacity down to about 13% sometimes using the base colour, sometimes lightening or darkening the colours , sometimes just eyeballing.

Hope this makes sense , I'm not very scientific or organized and can seldom remember what colour or brush I just used :D (think that could be senility?:eek: )

JCoop
05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Frank, IMO one of the most important aspects of capturing a likeness is to really pay special attention to the shape of the face. In my experience, small variances from the shape can change the perception of likeness.

In this case, the face in the ref has a slightly rounder appearance than you painting... and I think it makes a difference. That, along with the brows being raised a bit more and eyes being ever-so-slightly wider in your painting, may have added to your perception that you didn't get as close as you had hoped.

One last thing... in general, her features are softer in the ref. You may have over-rendered them.

Frank, I only offer these points because it sounds like you are disturbed by your perception of the likeness in your rendering. I also stand by my earliers assertions that your painting is beautifully done.