PDA

View Full Version : Favorite type of paper....

professir
05-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Good morning one and all. I have been drawing up a storm with a new tech pen, 6xo but have noticed a lot of "fuzzing". Both my OO and 6xO pens seem to pick up a lot of paper fiber. Any suggestions on better paper? I am using Strarthmore Bristol Velluim 9x12.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

the seemily pen and ink professir

ARTMUTT
05-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I like using Bristol I find the surface is smooth enough and able to withstand any cross-hatching or layering that I do...maybe you're pressing too hard with your pen? Just a thought but I'm sure you will get a lot of answers...good luck

DBSullivan
05-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I personally don't use paper.. only board. I like the solidity and firmness of it.

I usually go with whatever is in stock/on sale/available at the art store, but I always use a smooth (hot press) surface. As of late I've been scribbling on Strathmore mechanical ruling board, but who knows what I'll get next time. :rolleyes:

sassybird
05-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I use Bristol and hot pressed watercolor paper mostly, but like Dave I also like to use board for a lot of my work.

MonicaB
05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Professir, I use the same paper you do, as well as the Smooth finish. I haven't noticed much of a difference for ink, and don't usually have an issue with paper fibers. Maybe you are pressing a bit hard? I do keep a paper towel handy whenever I use my smaller size nibs, just for cleaning off the tips.

mmoncur
05-29-2006, 01:35 AM
My favorite paper is Borden & Riley #234 PARIS Bleedproof Paper for Pens... It is the smoothest I've found for working with tiny (6x,4x) Rapidographs. The only downside is that it's not as heavy weight as some (108lb) but that means it makes a good portable sketchbook.

I took a Pen & Ink workshop with Claudia Nice a couple of weeks ago, and much of the time found I was the only one complaining about my pen picking up fibers, when I used anything but the PARIS paper. I concluded, as Monica said above, that I was pressing too hard. I haven't figured out how to stop doing that yet, but knowing you have a problem is the first step.

MonicaB
05-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome, Michael! A workshop by Claudia Nice? Oooh, I'm jealous. :D

objectivistartist
05-29-2006, 09:24 AM
With regard to the presing too hard, it is as much in holding the pen as in laying the pen - this is something which is most noticed when stippling the fine points, but should be carried over when doing lines.... yes, makes it harder and more tiring to work, but the end results show....