PDA

View Full Version : Pictorial Calligraphy

SYM
05-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi Everyone ... I'm interested in learning Korean Pictorial Calligraphy (aka Name Painting). I can create my own designs and have tried using watercolours but am not getting the brilliant colours that the street artists have. I know it is a water-based paint but does anyone here know exactly what type of paint it is? Also, who knows how to make the 'leather-tipped' brush. I have tried leather but it does not seem to carry the watercolour smoothly. Tried felt, but can't get the sharp edges. AND cannot find information regarding same anywhere on the Internet except for those Artists selling their work and unfortuneately, they are not willing to share a trade secret. HELP Please.
SYM

TessDB
05-22-2006, 07:51 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I suspect the problem you're having with getting sharp edges comes down to practice...

And about the inks... Do you live somewhere that has a large Korean community? If so, see if you can find a store that sells products imported from there. They might sell the inks. If not, you could ask them & see if they can get them for you. And they might be able to put you in contact with a local artist who'd be willing to take you on as a student...

I'd love to see what you're working on, whether you call them a success or not!

Hopefully, someone who has a better answer for you will be along... Maybe post the question about the inks in the regular Pen & Ink forum. Someone there may have a good suggestion for you.
Tess