PDA

View Full Version : Basic 102 Class 2 Creativity

Pages : [1] 2

Mary Woodul
05-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Basic 102 Class 2 Creativity

I cannot augur the creative spirit’s labyrinth ways.
As a creator, I know that the process doesn’t work that way.
It is more unpredictable, complex, perverse, subtle, and
Intimately associated with idiosyncratic landscapes of the personal
imagination. Creation thrives on inspiration and affirmation rather than direction.
When approached through explanation, the creative spirits,
fly away, beyond our grasp.
Shaun Mcniff

Recess time to play, time to create. Let’s loosen up and free our creative spirit.

Every individual is creative, to a certain extent but some of us do not exercise that creativity so it stays in a state of insensibility. In this class we will try to awaken it with two simple assignments that will make us see objects in a different way and as a result render drawings that will continue to be realistic in the first assignment, but have a different visual impact. This will also, help those of us interested, to find a path to abstraction.

Someone said, that to be able to distort an object in the right way you have to know how to draw it perfectly. Our second assignment will let us experience the steps taken to do that.

Anna Held Audett, an extraordinary Artist, has so kindly allowed me to use her book, 100 Creative Drawing Ideas, as a guide for this class.

Assignment 1

This assignment will involve using an unconventional format which will challenge our visual assumption. Ann Coddington Rast, creator of this assignment says that “we assume our images will exist in a conventional rectilinear format- a golden mean of sorts” “Perhaps the 3:4 ratio approximates our visual field and seems somehow comfortable” She goes on to say that “this problem attempts to challenge our notions of format” as it will in the following assignment.

“Cut out a viewfinder with a 1:4 or 1:5 relationship. Spend some time regarding your world through this window, both vertical and horizontal orientation. Notice what is concealed, what is revealed. How do you feel when peering through it? Does it seem as though you are peeking through a keyhole? Are you frustrated by this visual limitation? How can the figure or portrait be interpreted through this window? Can you find a subject that seems comfortable in this format?
Try isolating a subject so that it becomes purely formal (shape) when viewed in such an extremely elongated format--where abstraction predominates over the referential subject. Consider subjects that exhibit vast spatial extremes--an interior and part of a window with a distant view, for example. Perhaps set up an image that can exist naturally within this frame. Question the eye level you select, the point of view and whether the axes should be true horizontal and true vertical.”

The images in the thumbnail show the viewfinder and what my camera sees from the viewfinder. We are not going to use photos in this class; this was just to show an example of what could be seen. The drawing was what I saw holding the viewfinder about two inches from my eye.

“When you have decide on a subject and a rationale in your approach to this format, delineate the perimeter lightly on al 18’ x 24’ (or larger) piece of paper, paying attention to where you place your image on the paper. Interpret your subject using a full range of values.”

The size of the paper will be optional. That will be your choice although I do understand that placing a drawing of a unique format on a large piece of paper can cause a very interesting visual impact.

It seems a bit tricky at the beginning but I finally sat in front of my object to peer through the viewfinder frequently to limit the space. I also found in this drawing that putting to work what was taught in Robin’s class can be of great help and can make you come up with something quite awesome if you try to look for an object that is in an interesting perspective.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2006/43096-102-2-1.jpg

Mary Woodul
05-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Assignment 2

As I mentioned in the introduction of the class, you cannot distort a drawing unless you know how to draw it correctly. In this case we are going to take something realistic and distort it into several different options using the same realistic object. I am going to have to apologize for my drawings because I have never done an abstract in graphite. I need my dripping paint, wall textures and papers to express myself. Nevertheless the purpose here is for you to let yourself go and use your imagination to distort your drawing to your hearts content.

We will take another exercise from Anna Held Audette’s book and try to create from something realistic to something distorted or abstract. Fred Wessel’s approach is to ask his student to take a kitchen utensil or tool and render it and its cast shadows as accurately as possible. “It is important to include as much detail as possible because this drawing will provide the source of material for the remainder of the project”, he says. I think another option as a subject can be jewelery or so many things in a household that we don’t usually think of as an art subject.

“Put aside the tool or utensil, and use your drawing of it to create a second image, in which the original shape is distorted. Imagine it being fractured, inflated, stretched, and so on, and at the same time enlarge it so that it now intersects the edges of the paper, creating new, trapped or negative spaces.”

“Now use image no.2 as source material for the third drawing, in which you identify interesting shapes and patterns and misshape them. Insignificant shapes may become dominant, exciting shapes may be repeated, and negative areas can be filled with patterns derived from the drawing process.”

“Repeat the previous step, using drawing no.3 to make the fourth one, in which you continue moving away from reality toward abstraction.”

“Take the most exciting of the four drawings, and use it as a study for a larger drawing. You may grid it and the larger paper for accurate enlargement or just use it loosely as a point of departure. In this last drawing you should be drawing for the formal (shape) qualities only.” This last step is optional

Please try to keep things balanced and think of composition, although this is one of my weak spots and I might have not achieved this in my drawings. One of my mistakes in these drawings was not picking the right subject for them. As I started on the second drawing I realized I didn’t like the shapes except for the screw and the object didn’t have very many outstanding shapes. Think of this when you pick your object. Be sure it has a lot of detail because that is what you will use in the succeeding drawings.

Thumbnail no.1 Is the drawing of my chosen object with the cast shadows it showed at the time.

No.2 using drawing no.1 I took the most outstanding shapes of the cork screw and placed them at my pleasing drawing the threads of the screw individually and fracturing them. I do not care too much for the other shapes, those finger-like plaques. This is why I think it is important to think about the shapes you see in the object you choose.

No.3 using drawing no.2, I continued to distortion the object. In this step Fred Wessel talks about using the negative spaces and sometimes those negative spaces become dominant in your drawing. A lot of you are familiar and very good at using different pencil strokes to achieve texture. Here is where you can take advantage of that.

No.4 In this final drawing is where the complete abstraction of the drawing comes in. I just repeated the previous one but limited it to shape, textures and shading.

If any of you find it very hard to abstract the drawing, you might be able to come up with and interesting composition of the realistic features of the object.

Field Trip

I have chosen the sites of Anna Held Audette and Fred Wessel not only because of the quality of their work but because in the case of Anna we see an artist that takes advantage of these different subjects and formats to be original and creative. Fred Wessel, is the author of the exercise that will take us from realism to abstraction and he is and extraordinary realistic painter.

Field trip 1 (http://www.annaheldaudette.com/)

Field trip 2 (http://www.fredwessel.com/)

These drawing should be done with a wooden lead or mechanical pencil of your choice. The size lead is up to you and the paper you use, also. We will not use reference photos for this class. If anyone want to try this with colored pencils or another drawing medium or a special kind of paper, it is fine with me.

Let yourself go! Have fun!!!

Anita Murphy
05-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Mary - Wonderful class! :clap: :clap: This is going to be great fun! I love your drawing through the viewfinder. The stages of abstraction are fascinating. I can see that something with lots of detail is really needed if you are going to pick out some part of it to exaggerate and abstract. I'm off to make a viewfinder now. Do you want to see ref pics?

Judi1957
05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Yippee! :clap: :clap: Maybe I can get away from my detail oriented nature and see out of the box for a change!

TY Mary! Off to look thru my viewfinder (tomorrow actually-bed time for me):D Excellent demo's!

Mary Woodul
05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Anita, thank you! We won't need reference picture because we will be drawing from life. In the second assignment you will be using each drawing to draw the succeeding one.:)

Thank you, Judi! I think your ability with detail with help you very much in the second assignment. You will have much more to work with. Nite!:wave:

Judi1957
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Did I say it enough?:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anita Murphy
05-22-2006, 12:00 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JayD
05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Holy Cow, Mary--great class--I got to break my dry spell--so I am going after this class!!!--I hope....sigh.....

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Wonderful, JayD!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I have decided to add a third assignment for this class in case someone wants to stick to realism and prefers it to to assignment no. 2. I just need a couple of days to do the drawings. Assignment 2 or 3 will be for the second week so in the meantime you can work on assignment 1

If any of you from the WDT want to use that image and post it here for assignment 1, you can crop the image to a 1:4 ratio that can be horizontal or vertical.

cmwynn
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I tend to be much to literl, have a hard time letting go. Certainly the second assignment will make me to this Interesting in any case. Thanks.

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Connie my crazy drawings don't help much in the second assignment but the other one I plan to add is realism which involves a sequence of drawings where those of you that like to stick to realism can at the same time create, adding on elements from one drawing to the next.

sultry
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
What an absolutely exciting and motivating class write up Mary! I am so for creativity and imagination.
I am currently so behind on many projects but I will try to attend this class in the future gf.
I feel creativity comes from the soul and if you can express your creativity it only enhances it. I also feel that it can change a negativity in your aurora if you let go and express your feelings by closing your mind to the busy shuffle around you and only listen to what your creative mind set (soul will tell you about yourself).
Oh Mary great class!

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Sults, thank you for stopping by and your words are just what this class is all about.:heart:

Striver
05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Aha, found you at 2.30am. cardboard, knife = viewfinder now, then seek subject when it light and stopped raining I hope.
excellent interesting start.
Ta
Les

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Thank you Les, hope you have fun with it.:D

Striver
05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh I can feel bubbles of excitement
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I am walking around with my viewfinder taped to my cheek...
I am so excited about all of this. Working on some thumbnails for the first assignment.

Ercht
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello, I'm quite new to these threads, and while I've followed the classes, I do not have access to a scanner or camera at the moment, but I do want to know that I find this particular class very interesting, and I'm looking forward to working on the assignments. I have decided however, that for the second assignment, I want to go ahead and do a palm tree, instead of a untensil or tool. I tend to be very detail oriented in all of my drawings, so the detail will be no problem for me at all. Please let me know your opinions on this. Thank you!

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Robin I am really looking forward to your work because I know it will be good and a learning experience for all of us.

Ercht, welcome to the D/S forum and to this class. I am perfectly content with your idea of a palm tree and I hope you can find some way to post it in the class. I have the feeling you will surprise us with something stunning.

Robin Neudorfer
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Ercht! Welcome... I was wondering if you know anyone with a scanner? You could send yourself the image via email. Do you have access to a school?
I am trying so hard to place that flag... can you help me... so I can keep drawing...

Thanks for your support Mary. It is raining today and so I am walking around the house looking for good subjects.
What I do find difficult, as others will too I suppose, is I have drawn out some 2 x 8" rectangles on my tracing paper (thumbnails) and holding my drawing pad in one hand, the view finder in another, I need a third hand to hold my pencil. I guess I should put on music too and start dancing.

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Ha,ha Robin! I was waiting for the first one to tell me that because I couldn't figure it out until I realized you sort of have to mark your border to get the exact limit from the viewfinder and then use the viewfinder as a reference every once in a while. The inside, I drew from life once I had my limits established. I hope that made sense.:o

BTW. that is a good suggestion for Ercht.:thumbsup:

Striver
05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Robin, some artists paint & draw using there mouth, hmm, suppose could stick a pencil in the ear and draw or use your feet. A hilarious thought. You need to put in in perspective I think.

Striver
05-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey, how about taping the viewfinder to the pad alongside. Held with one hand and draw with the other.
Me brain hurts
Les

ArtyLady
05-22-2006, 07:04 PM
This is absolutely fantastic. I panicked though when I saw assignment 1 and 2, thinking they both had to be done now!

myrairving
05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm going to try to do this.. things are just crazy nuts here again (youngest sister is in hospital with multiple health problems and we've temporarily inherited her 2 year old) but I do want to do this.. I've been in such an artistic slump and haven't done anything and am hoping this will jolt me out of it. Off to find stuff to make a viewfinder! :)

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Liz, glad you made it! No, we have two weeks for both assignments and I will be posting a third but that one is for whoever wants to do no.3 instead of no. 2. It involves four drawings also but having to do more with , light and shade in realistic drawings.

Les, you've got some good ideas there.:lol:

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Myra, sorry to hear that. I hope the recovery will be speedy. The good thing in this first exercise is that you can sit in from of your subject with your viewfinder and you can add a lot of your imagination or try to draw a little form memory.

Desiree
05-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone, I need to get busy, I already feel behind! I think I want my original to be Robin with the view finder taped to her cheek! Sounds like plenty of details for abstract drawing. Hey Robin...Is it hard to turn your head completely around to see out of the view finder with it back there? LOL just kidding. I need to get started, touch base later.

Anita Murphy
05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Sounds like the class is filling up rapidly! I need to pin down what it is I want to do. Has anyone started drawing yet?

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Desiree and Anita, well it looks like Robin has been doing her homework. I sure would like to peek through a window and see her with the viewfinder taped on her cheek.:lol: Why didn't I think of that?

Judi1957
05-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey All,
I was wondering if taping the viewfinder to a lamp shade, post of a floor lamp or on a tabletop beween books would work. Haven't tried it-but shouldn't need my third arm if something here would work.

Myra-I hope your sister is well and home soon.

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Judi, I like all of these ideas. I see we are not in lack of creativity. That would be something like looking through a telescope on a stand. Not a bad idea.:clap: :thumbsup:

Judi1957
05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Just means I know how to use scotch tape Mary-:lol: :lol:

Mary Woodul
05-22-2006, 10:11 PM
:clap: :thumbsup:

myrairving
05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks everyone.. :)

I still haven't cut out my viewfinder... :lol: I'm such a slacker... buuut I have an excuse.. I cooked fried chicken for 8 people... hmm.. I should have looked at that through the viewfinder... if I had of cut it out. :D

JayD
05-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Mary, I am back and will put this viewfinder thing together tomorrow--I read the class before you posted but I think I forgot some of the finer points so I promise to reread and start this puppy up!

Robin Neudorfer
05-22-2006, 11:17 PM
I have been working on some thumbnail sketches today, not really sure the direction I want to go in. Tomorrow I will do some more when I am out plein air painting, and also there is a power plant next to where I take my night class, so I might have some more images that WOW me.
Thought this might be good to show others my thought process. Quick rough sketches. The school ones are from photos I took a couple months ago. As is the sketch of the home exterior.

Striver
05-23-2006, 02:12 AM
Holding the viewfinder, how is this Judi?
Squeeze a coat hanger to sit on your head like a cap, have the hook straightened out and just hang your viewfinder on the end. This is also adjustable, a series of holes in the card for up/down and push along the wire for eyeballing distance.
Should I patent this?
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Sounds like it might work, Les. Do you have a picture?
I think I like my new idea... I am an artist, I need an assistant. That will be his first job.

I just had an idea... when using your viewfinder and transferring what you see to your thumbnail or larger drawing/sketch, put 1/2 " division marks or divide the rectangle with marks along the perimeter of your viewfinder, and then lightly repeat the marks on your drawing. This will be helpful in locating landmarks in your forms. And will be helpful in translating the information to your drawing surface.

Striver
05-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Or grid it with cotton
L

Robin Neudorfer
05-23-2006, 02:45 AM
Now you've got some marketing ideas going...
Soon we will need a thread for D&S design ideas.
I do believe this Classroom will soon be accredited and JayD can be the Principal... or is that Murray...somebody has to be in charge of detention.

Anita Murphy
05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Robin - I love your thumbnails - the sketches that is!:p

Les - could we have some diagrams of your wonderful invention with the wire coathanger? This sounds like something off Blue Peter (UK Kids programme that always has projects for kids to make out of wire coat hangers and double sided sticky tape!)

I'm taking my viewfinder to work today - not attached to wire coathanger because I think that might get me fired! :D

Judi1957
05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Les-we would love a fashion show w/ you modeling your patent! Now you can retire!:D

Robin-those are fab!!!! Inspiring!

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 06:53 AM
JayD Hi!:wave: Looking forward to seeing you with us.

Robin, those are great. Personally I love the middle ones. You got the hang of it and your idea of the marks along the perimiterof the viewfinder is the best way to do it.

Les, I just have to see you with that sophiticated apparatus over your head.:lol: :lol:

Anita, you can always say it is the latest CP device.

Judi, Hi!:wave:

mmdm
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Robin's sketches are so interesting! I might have to give this a try.

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Come join us Melisa, we would love to have you with us.

Fozbot
05-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Mary, i've read and reread the assignments and holy cow! this is really going to stretch my drawing experience on sooo many levels. 1st-i've never drawn from life much less one-handed holding a view card.:eek: LOL! selecting my subject is still in the works. 2nd- interpreting a subject in another manner other than what i see in a photo. this should prove extremely interesting! you know how to challenge a person, GF!:lol:

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Billie, I'm glad you see it this way because this is the purpose of this class. By taking your eye off the subject you start drawing from memory or inventing, either, is just as good because we are not going for realism in this class.

I am working on the drawings for the a third assignment in case anyone wants to replace it for assignment 2. It is a challenge because in spite of it being realism you will add shadows or light from one drawing to the next and there you are creating a different drawing than what you are seeing. At the same time you can omit many things you see which makes the drawing quite different than the original.

This is for all: You can help yourself with a reference but I do encourage you to try not to because I think this will prepare us for the classes after mine.

mmdm
05-23-2006, 01:24 PM
OK, I hope this is where we are supposed to put them. I had to cheat a little and work from photos because I am having some problems with vertigo and the looking up and down so much was only going to lead to me falling over. :rolleyes: I should be able to do lesson 2 from life though, since that can sit on the table in front of me. These are 1:4 ratio and are each 1 1/2" x 6" because that is what fit in my sketchbook. I like the combination of positive and negative shapes of the second one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2006/9614-1_4ratiommdm.jpg

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Melissa, these are very nice and I like your composition on both. These make a very good example of what and can be an interesting drawing, knowing what to find through your viewfinder. Good work!!!

AB4ME
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Mary,
I am new to wet canvas and haven't had time to browse the site to see all that it has to offer (which seems overwhelming). So when someone in another goup I participate in mentioned this class, I was determined to find it. Yeah!! I did and this looks wonderful. I've got my view finders cut and ready to search for a topic although I do have a possibility in mind. This winter I took my first drawing class as a local junior college. I drew a wire whisk for one of the assignments. Without even considering the 1:4 view finder, I can picture in my mind applying assignment 2 to my original drawing, which went off the page on one side and because it was shiny metal and was lit, the shadow showed more than the wire of the whisk. No to find time to apply the exercises you have given here. Thank you. I'm rearing to get started at this.
Carmen Sidlaruk

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Carmen, welcome to Wet Canvas, the D/S forum and this class. It will be a pleasure having you here. Officialy the class has a duration of two weeks but we always stay around and continue with the class indefinitely. The only difference is that in two weeks the next class will be at the top of the page and this one will fall back with the other classes but will always exist. So you don't have to rush at it.

Your idea sounds great so give it a try. Everyone in these classes are very helpful and great companions.

If you have any trouble uploading your images or anything else just let us know.

Ercht
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Ercht, welcome to the D/S forum and to this class. I am perfectly content with your idea of a palm tree and I hope you can find some way to post it in the class. I have the feeling you will surprise us with something stunning.

Thank you! I can't wait to actually join in on the community here. Hopefully I learn some things in the process of the classes. . .that's what they're here for, right?

Hi Ercht! Welcome... I was wondering if you know anyone with a scanner? You could send yourself the image via email. Do you have access to a school?
I am trying so hard to place that flag... can you help me... so I can keep drawing...

Well, I used to own a scanner, but I've become quite the nomad recently, so I no longer have that. I probably won't have access to one in the near future, but I have some savings put aside towards a digital camera for this summer, so we'll see.

The flag is the Venezuelan flag, and I'm not living there yet, but I have plans to move, yet again! :P

Desiree
05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Mary, I noticed your flora and fauna link in your signature isn't working for me? I wanted to check it out too!

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Desiree, thank you for telling me I will fix it.

Edit: I think it works now, Desiree!:D

myrairving
05-23-2006, 05:42 PM
OK Im having some major problems with my viewfinder.... my eyes cross when I look through it and I see double. LOL Im seriously considering drawing that way. :lol:

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Myra! I know what you mean, the same thing happened to me. I had to close one eye and I found it comfortable about 2 inches from my eye. Make little reference marks on your viewfinder to be able to limit the border of your drawing and then draw it from life. The main thing is to know what is not visible once you put your viewfinder in front of your eye then it doesn't matter if you draw the inside from life. Hope that works. Let me know!:D

myrairving
05-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Mary.. that's what I ended up doing.. to at least get an idea of the points I wanted to draw.. I used to viewfinder to sketch it in... then just sort of winged it.
:lol: I'm not done yet though.

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
That's fine Myra take your time. Once you have it limited, you will enjoy it more and don't have to use the view finder.:lol:

Anita Murphy
05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Melissa - Welcome!!!! Lovely drawings!

Striver
05-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Adjustable third hand viewfinder
Ok by popular overwhelming demand for information, please, no more phone calls, emails, fax, knocking on the door enquires. here tis.
Research and developement dept together with the engineering dept have worked flat out over many hours to develop this unique conglomeration especially for you & the admiring public. major and costly improvements have been made to model one. Features are:
Model 1 Rise and fall focus point, distance perspective.
Model two As above with tilt rise and fall adjustments, choice of left tilt or right tilt. This model most usefull if standing on the side of a mountain. Make sure you stand on the correct mountain side to suit tilt. (No refunds)
Model three As above with both left and right tilt adjustments. Also as a bonus, your choice of viewfinder color as long as it is white.
Models in both portrait or landscape, extra if both adjustments on same model.
Endorsments to driving license required for its use, especially if using whilst driving or flying. Applicants must have references that they are capable and responsible to allowed in its charge.
No responibility is accepted in its use or misuse or the outcome of works completed thereon. we accept commission percentage however.
Thumbnails below, the models do not come with ears, peekabo eyes greying hair etc. Such is the demand we cannot guarantee delivery anytime.
Enjoy
Les

Striver
05-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh dear, missed model one
Les

Fozbot
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ArtyLady
05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
:D Does it come in a range of colours:D

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Les, you get 10 extra points for making my day with this. I wanted to see a picture of you with this on and NEVER expected my wish to come true. You are a clever creative man!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
LES - OUTSTANDING! :lol: :clap: :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now all we need is a picture of Robin with hers taped to her cheek!!!! :lol:

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 10:09 PM
LES - OUTSTANDING! :lol: :clap: :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now all we need is a picture of Robin with hers taped to her cheek!!!! :lol:

Ditto, to that Anita!!!:thumbsup:

Anita Murphy
05-23-2006, 10:15 PM
What size did everyone cut? the 2 x 8 seems enormous now!

Mary Woodul
05-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Anita the one I show in the thumbnail is 1 inch by 4 and that is what I used for the drawing. It can also be 1X5.

Judi1957
05-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Les-I gotta have one!-only I want the ear model-PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

myrairving
05-23-2006, 10:38 PM
OH Les thank you sooooo much!!!!!!! That just made my whole day. :D

Anita.. I cut mine 2x8 as well.. but now I see it's too big.. no wonder I had to hold it so far from my face for it to seem like it was doing what it was supposed to. :lol: Back to the drawing board for me, again. lol

JayD
05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Les, nice ears! What a great idea. Mary, my wife doesnt let me handle knives normally so when she saw me with the matt knife, I got a really dark scowl--anyway searching for something to cut into a view finder and then I will start the excercise. Great stuff!

Desiree
05-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Les, I'll take two!! I love it!

Robin Neudorfer
05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Anita and Mary....not going to happen. I make a fool of myself enough, I don't need the physical evidence.

Very funny Les. You are a clever fellow. I am sure your wife is wondering now what is going on with the folks you are meeting here. There is always one in every crowd.

I cut my viewfinder out of a 3x5 index card, simple, easy to carry around. Was on a city street today, looking at different things with it. I am sure I will be the talk of the town soon. Can you imagine if I was wearing one of those ear models? This is fun, now I just need to find something that can become a finished piece of art. I just loved field trip #1. This speaks to me in many ways.

Mary Woodul
05-24-2006, 07:55 AM
JayD, good to see you. I think you're going to like assignment 3, if i can ever get the drawings finished. That one can be replaced for any of the other two.

Robin I'm glad ot hear that you are doing that with the viewfinder. Once I get the other drawings out of the way I want to try it again.

I'm glad you liked the field trip. It was good learning to see what she does with subjects that I would normally shrug off.

cmwynn
05-24-2006, 09:09 PM
My viewfinder is 1" x 5", the drawing 2" x 10". I had plans to tie a string across the room and clip the viewfinder on with a clothespin - I actually own 2 of them. In the end I just held it up occasionally. I wish I had thought about making marks on the edges, that would have helped enormously. The first sketch was a disaster. So, here is assignment 1. Does it make sense?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2006/29839-1_to5_formatxm.jpg

Mary Woodul
05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Connie, I really like this because you understood perfectly the idea of the formal qualities of the drawing which would be the shapes. You practically have an abstract drwing there if you see it without stopping on the details. It makes sense and I think you picked a nice composition.

I see that for most the creativity part is not only the drawing but in how to use the viewfinder.:lol:
Very good, Connie!:clap: :clap: :clap:

ArtyLady
05-25-2006, 05:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2006/62344-Assign_1.jpg

Peering through limited space was very difficult for me, everything was soooo elongated compared to normal vision. However I did enjoy doing this drawing, which was done initially in pencil then watercolour. It's scanned a bit skewif - sorry

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi Liz, I know what you mean. The assignment was ver tricky for me also but you came up with a very nice arrangement and I like the touch of color. In your's and Connie's I see the tendency to abstraction because they are more painterly. Good work, Liz!:)

I think I will post the 3d assignment tomorrow if you want to change it for no.2 or go ahead and try no. 2.

mmdm
05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Connie and Liz, both of you found great shapes!

Melisa
My Blog - http://virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/
My Gallery - http://virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/gallery/main.php

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
FIELD TRIP to Milisa's signature link.

Melisa, you have some great creative work in there. You abstract for this week is awesome.

mmdm
05-25-2006, 01:04 PM
I liked the shapes in one of my sketches and I wanted to see if I could abstract that image a little more without distorting it so I used PSP8 to add color to the shapes without regard to what the shapes were and then added a little texture. Fun to play with and an interesting result, I thought. I can still see the original objects pretty clearly since I already knew what they were, but I think it would look a little more abstract to someone who hadn't just drawn it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2006/9614-shapes.jpg

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
This one is fantastic Melissa. You and I know what it is so we see it but I beleive it would take some examination for someone who has seen it for the first time not to think it is completely abstract. You chose great colors for it. I think it would make a very nice real life piece texture and all.

Robin Neudorfer
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I did a few more sketches yesterday and a few more in mind today, then I will pick one and do larger. I also have some canvas 12"x36" that I had made up a few months ago with...I don't know what...in mind. Not the same ratio but I think it might be fun to trasfer it to canvas and see the results.
I like the image on the lower left, but I also like the graphic quality of the far right one. Remember these are only thumbnails and can be moved around and stretched/squished. I also was considering the golden mean and other measuring devices that would possibly help compose the shapes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2006/30341-sketch_102-2_5:25.jpg

mmdm
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Robin, I really like the far right one a lot. Not sure what it is about it that grabs my attention so, but it is my favorite.

Melisa
My Blog - http://virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/
My Gallery - http://virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/gallery/main.php

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Robin, those are excellent thumbnails. I think I also prefer the one on the right because of the spontaniety of the leaves and the light and shade in it but I really like all of them. Your idea of the Golden Mean would be very good Robin and with your knowledge of perspective, I am really looking forward to seeing your entrance. It makes me very happy to see, that I think you are enjoying the viewfinder.:D

Mandy Valin
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey all...
I've been reading all these classes but this will be my first time to participate...I couldn't not try this! It was so fun, I think I may become addicted ;)

These were done in my bathroom of random toiletries sitting around. In green ball point pen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2006/10914-sketches.jpg

Mandy

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Mandy, welcome to the class! I'm so glad you are getting addicted to it.:D Those look good! I specially like the one on the left, and the bottom one because of the very abstracted look, but the one on the left I think has a very nice feel to it.

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Sorry, I was away this afternoon but I just broke my toe.:( Nothing serious and now I will have plenty of time draw and be at the computer.:D

Fozbot
05-25-2006, 10:08 PM
oh Mary! a broken toe.:( i feel your pain, gf. take care of it...please.

Mary Woodul
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Thank you , gf, it should be fine in a couple of days.

Robin Neudorfer
05-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Mary - were you walking around with Les' contraption blinding your path? OUCH I hope it feels better soon. Bet the DR. said you can't draw with your toes for a while, DARN.

Mandy - those are really good drawings. I thought about the bathroom too. There are some really great textures in there. I like them all. But if we are going for abstraction, maybe we need to turn them upside down?

One thing I enjoyed doing in my abstract work, was to confuse the viewer as to what shape was in front of the the others. Push and Pull the shapes around the surface. Making the space 3D but also making it move in and out depending on how you looked at it. Dark and Light, in and out. Have I completely confused you? Guess that is my intention from the beginning.

Robin Neudorfer
05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Hello All! I do believe we will hit 100 posts in 4 days. How about rating this thread? If you like to be creatively challenged let everyone know that you do.
It is one way to say thank you to the instructor.

ArtyLady
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
We have all been very creative and each one is so different and wonderful. Great work all

Judi1957
05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Awwe Mary! That's terrible! :( :(

Robin-Rated it on day one-knew it was going to be an awesome Class!:thumbsup:

I am working - have half the first pic done, but I needed to start my cp work. One day here-one day there.

Striver
05-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I seem to be out of step with time this week, It's slipping by and little progress.
Your advice please. Should I do a Mary and break a toe to get some more, better still if I break some one elses will that count.
Puzzled
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 12:18 AM
You know how it goes here Les, there is always tomorrow. It is to be enjoyed not another source of stress.
No more broken toes and stay off of the ladder.

Striver
05-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Well made a start, wondering if this is too complicated, feel it could have been simpler. Perhaps I should continue looking but me brain hurts. Tomorrow?
Free and frenzied comments etc welcome.
Les
What an awful scan the real is more sharp.
L

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Ha,ha, Robin maybe Les forgot to add the warning "caution with feet".

You have a good point there about the light and dark and in and out. It is always good to use those resources for the composition of the whole or the impact we want to express. We are not going for an exact copy of what we see and we can omit things in our view if we want to concentrate more on the form.

Hi Judi,:wave: don't worry I know you have so much on your hand right now and like all of the subbies I will watching this one after it is over. I still owe Robin and Anita the last of my drawings.:o

Les, I think those are fantastic. You could simplify them a bit so that the intersting part of them would show. In no.1 I would take out the round table but don't touch the rest, it is beautiful. I no. 2 I would take out the utinsel holder. These two drawings of yours can help me touch the composition part of the assignment. I need Robins help on this because composition in my weak spot but it is what I feel they need to make them excellent. When you erase those don't touch anything else, I like your graphic work on these.

What do you think, Robin?

mmdm
05-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Mary - Oh no! That must be painful. I just sprained mine yesterday and it is killing me so a broken one must be even worse. I hope you have speedy healing.

Mandy - I like the bottom one a lot. Especially the shapes on the right side of it.

Les - I like these, too. The first one best, I think.

mmdm
05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
One thing I enjoyed doing in my abstract work, was to confuse the viewer as to what shape was in front of the the others. Push and Pull the shapes around the surface. Making the space 3D but also making it move in and out depending on how you looked at it. Dark and Light, in and out. Have I completely confused you? Guess that is my intention from the beginning.

That is a great idea!

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Melisa!:wave: Take care fo your sprain, those seem to last quite a bit. I hope the pain goes away soon, mine really doesn't hurt that much unless I step on it, so I walk with my heel.:lol:

jmfletch
05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Mary -Sorry about the toe!!:crying:

But glad it means you get to spend more time with us!!:thumbsup:

Here's my first effort on assignment 1. 2x8 inch in sketchbook.

Been looking in the kitchen for gadgets...not too many interesting shapes. Got another idea for assignment 1 that I hope to work on this weekend.

Heal quickly!!
Joe

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 03:58 PM
What do I think? I think I will tell you what I think.
Les...I think you should do more of these because you have quite a good eye for this. You can even "play" with perspective and throw it out of wack. You just have to do it with intention. I agree that table could get put in the closet for the first picture. Or you could move it down to the base of the frame, a nice curve to take up the lower left. I also tend to be a bit compulsive about my line placement and attempt to line things up or place them in such a way that the viewer can unconscientiously connect the dots. An angle directs you to another line, or an line falls on the 1/3 mark or two lines make a right angle. This method may not be right for everyone, just something to consider. To me it just keeps the eye flowing around the page. Be careful of sharp angles going off of a corner.
I like number two. I don't mind the utensils but the holder is too fussy. And in this picture, be careful of tangents...such as the coffee cup edge touching the edge of the paper, and the otherside touching the edge of the creamer. They should either overlap or not touch. Really think about the pleasing shapes in the negative spaces.
Now did I tell you what I think or what?...enough to think about for you?

I do believe I am going to stay seated at my drawing table all weekend so that I don't have an injured foot. You all make me nervous.
... uh oh , I am plein air painting in the morning... I will take my chances.

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Joe - I don't see yours?

jmfletch
05-26-2006, 04:10 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: I see it fine??:confused: :confused: :confused:

Joe/Jim

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Now I do... guess it just needed time to squeeze through the wires.:lol:
I love it. Perfect! you ol' softy.

JayD
05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Mary, dont count me out--its on the way!!!

Striver
05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Thank you Mary & Robin, points taken note of and will adjust. felt frustrated i wasnt coming up with anything, then. Escorting like the obedient slave the wife on her preambles around the village, popped into a cafe for lunch (no1) this is full of odd mismached odds & ends furniture etc. That's what I was looking at, will tell owner to get rid of table! At home making coffee (no2) will discard the container. ? should I move kettle up and the coffee cup. Think the cup needs tidying up and will enlarge the saucer a tad, also get edges more outside. Think cup in front of kettle gives some depth.

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 04:48 PM
You make me laugh Les. I am trying to draw please.
No don't tell the owner to get rid of table, you may move or omit it in your drawing Mr Artist. I also think "the wife" will be disgruntled if you get rid of container. I like the kettel and the coffee cup right where they are, the cup does give it depth. ..no more coffee just drawing please, and throw the frustration out the window. Not allowed, just enjoyment. In fact I think that is a good sign that you are moving into a good place with your art and "eye". You are able to discard subjects and compositions that are not suitable. I think good job and a sticker... oh forgot you like the chocolates... hope Mary stocked up.

Striver
05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Chockies
Yum
L

myrairving
05-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I recut my viewfinder last night and did some rough outline sketches that I need to go back and work on some.. but my husband thought a yard sale tomorrow would be a fantastic idea and then went to work and left me to get it ready. :lol: So I don't think I'll be able to do anything much until he goes back to work on Tuesday. I never get anything done when he's home. hehe

Love seeing everyone's drawings!

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Joe, thank you for the get well wishes, it is much better. Wow, that is super. I love it Joe and I am looking forward to the one you have in mind.

Robin, you are one great teacher, thank you for the help.:thumbsup: Now I will study what you have just written, too.

Hi JayD!:wave: :D

Les, you are the life of this class so that is why we are making you work harder.:evil: I really love the way you rendered these and take Robin's sound advice because you are showing results of what she has taught you. Chockies, mmmhhh, Yes!:D

Myra, don't worry and take your time. I'll be looking forward to your work. Hubbies have to come first.:D

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
You are most welcome my gimpy friend. (meant in a nice way)

Myra - how about taking some pictures of all your things in the yard sale for use later. I know Mary suggested no pictures, but it will be reality tomorrow, and there are so many interesting shapes and objects put together when one does a yard sale. The neighbors may think you are strange, but you're moving, so who is to care.

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree with your idea for Myra, Robin and if anyone else finds something interesting that cannot be drawn on the spur of the moment and wants to photograph it for this exercise, it is fine with me.

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I have to admit, that I am not sitting in the middle of the street that I have chosen to draw, due to the fact that .... I don't want to.
However, I am not drawing the view of the photo. I have taken the objects from the photo and arranged them to fit my picture measurements. Use the photos to aid your memory, not to directly copy from. That tends to limit your creativity.

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 06:02 PM
That was my point when using the viewfinder because you are forced to look away from you subject while you draw and if you have the urge to add or omit or draw it differently, go ahead and do it.

jmfletch
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I love it. Perfect! you ol' softy.

What can I say... the bride collects teddy bears and the occasional doll.

We have a very eclectic house as I collect Native American themed art and crafts. It makes for an interesting decor.:rolleyes:

Joe

Striver
05-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Sat morning and the wife is out & no G/kids or dog, just a lazy cat.
Ok had a redraw and here tis, not happy with the chair as a chair, however I keep telling myself it's the shape you want, so here tis. Now I have let the ht and bot extend so i can crop or add in at this stage, so this will appear tall. will be adjusted to 8x2 inches or 10x2 as required. C&C, go for it.
Talking of photo's took some in the cafe and perhaps will interest you. I imaging lots of possibilities there if and when i can see them. The big lampshade &frill intriques me. If you can see options and want to point out for the class please do so. A walk about could only be enlightening.
If teachers happy with this lot will find objects for the next. But for now, chocky biccy, coffee and provide lap for cat.
Cheers
Squint eyed
Les
Oh the creative book has just arrived by post.
L

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm sure I'm going to like it but where is it?:confused:

Striver
05-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Did not upload, here tis
Les

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow Les, now we have a masterpiece!:clap: :clap: :clap: I love it.

Very interesting pictures there too. Lots of things to draw!!!:D

Striver
05-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Cant see it as yet, but am striving, next stage now but later today unfortunately.
Oh have a big distraction, have bought a harmonica for the boy, being full of wind I am having a go and enjoying getting a tune out, well sort of there is a melody in parts. His surprise next time. For the moment another coat hanger to support it in front of mouth while viewfinder dangles front of eye, then I can have music as I sketch. If you care to point out any options in the photos, sure we all could learn. I have veils over me eyes at present, feel their there but hiding.
Ta Ta
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I do like your coffeeshop Les. You need to sit and draw there, you just might get an original on the wall. Wouldn't that be fun.I think you have done a really great job on these two. Nothing stopping my eye, a very nice flow around each piece.
Go practice your harmonica. He is going to love it. Do you have a set of earplugs? Please don't wear your contraption to the coffeeshop, they may start wondering about you.

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Well it looks like you got yourself a good instrument, Les. Now if we could only listen to your melody.:D

I find all of the objects on the mantel of what seems to be a fire place, very interesting. There seems to be a coffe pot next to the clock that looks unique. The lamps in the other picture look tempting to draw also.

Judi1957
05-26-2006, 10:03 PM
hey All:wave: :o
Mary-I promise to finish that first assignment tomorrow. Need to go out so it will be later in the day.:angel: I've never skipped a class and don't intend to start now. (Don't feel bad--I still owe Robin too!:o )

Les-you are such a hoot to have around!
Connie-Robin-Joe-Melisa-Liz-Les wonderful drawings!:clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Mary Woodul
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Good to see ya, Judi and don't rush there is still lots of time.:D

Robin Neudorfer
05-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Okay finished one, and I may tweak it now that I have seen it online. However I am ready for assignment #2.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2006/30341-Drawing_102-2final.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2006/30341-drawing_102-2_photo.jpg

Striver
05-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Robin , ok I will ask. Looks like a small (mini) basket weave on the panel. If you done that with a pencil, what patience and steady hand. Also the lower band looks like a stipple, could be the paper tooth showing thro, but the paper texture looks diff to above.
Now be a good girl and explain yourself, did an Alien help you?
Just got back on a lovely day now, is it time for a huff and puff or perhaps look at part two, will leave you hanging.
Enjoy
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Always here to help Les. The basket weave is nothing more than 4 or 5 little lines going this way and that way and another way. It was used a lot in architectural drawings to indicate stone, back in the days when the drawings were hand done. The area underneath is just spirals, around and around, just got lazy and didn't pick up my pencil... ha.
No aliens here...just a bunch of teens. Our foster son is here for the weekend.
My day is just ending, but I am looking forward to plein air painting in the morning. Most likely will be cloudy, but that can produce very nice colors.
I am also going to look at Part#2, so that I can dream good ideas.

Striver
05-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Dark is coming in quick, had time to do a quicky. Biggest problem is finding the subject, as I say, cant see for looking. Find it very perplexing.
How is this for a start, any potential.
Enjoy your day Robin, if it's dry I will have to hold breath and dive under the boat to cut the rope if it's tangled too much. Several dives actually and need to do at slack water, nasty rip in the river.

Robin Neudorfer
05-27-2006, 02:29 AM
I am not sure what Mary will say but I think it is a good subject. I understand that you may not be seeing yet what you are looking for. I find objects that have a connection to my everyday life make good subjects. I think any of your tools will be of that grouping. You have done a great job on your wrench.
Be careful with your dive tomorrow/today?

Hi Judi!!

RobynS
05-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I have been quietly following this class but have been very busy with marking and report writing at school. I didn't have a chance to give it a try until I was in a coffee shop this morning with my hubby (and without my view finder). Here is my first attempt.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Robin, I am completely astonished with your line work. You have rendered an exceptional drawing for this, although I knew you would. It is beyond me how you can manage such fine straight line. I think you should frame this in a much larger matted frame, with a unique placement.

Les, I love your subject and I think you can get quite a bit of details to work with. You did a very good job in the drawing of it.

Robyn, welcome to the class. It delights me to know that there are people quietly working and will eventually come in and post. I like your work very much. You have some nice negative spaces there. Just for balance, shade a little darker under the saucer on the right side of the screen and gradually start with the dark you have in the glass on the table, from the right side of the screen and gradually lighten it to the value you have on the left. This is just to balance the weight of the whole piece and straighten the lines of your border a bit. Those are very small corrections. I really like your choice and it looks good.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm lagging behind!!! I'm setting up a still life this weekend to paint and might use a section of that for the class.

Les - I love the coffee pot drawing!

Robin - superb as usual!

RobynS - great perspective!

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 08:50 AM
CLASS UPDATE

I am delighted to see that several of you are ready for assignment 2 and have decided to do that particular assignment. In my fear of thinking that it might not be attractive because of its abstract nature I decided to offer another assignment for those who prefer to stick to a more realistic approach. I am going to quote Anna Held's book and the instructions of this particular assignment by Judith Schwarz's. I like the name of the assignment also. A journey through light and dark.

"Moving from observation to interpretation."

"If asked to draw from observation, students have to adhere rigidly to what they see. Judith Schwarz's assignment makes them more aware of the possibilities for interpretation. It demonstrates the interplay between the real and the imaginary and emphazises the artist's authority over the image."

This part is just information I don't expect you do 8 drawing or five, just three:D

"Initially students draw from observation and develope eight or more views that construct a sequential passage from outdoors indoors (or the reverse). Accurate observation of a significant place in the environment is important."

"The first eight drawings provide sufficient choice for resolving the final five drawings. Concentrate on structure, the underlying vertical, horizontal, and diagonal divisions of the picture plane and eliminate unessential detail. To ensure a sense of movement through space, select views that make a strong transition from wide open space to middle ground, to close-up space."

"The concluding step is to create five or six drawings in class (away from the original drawing site) that emphasize interpretation. Each of these drawings should have something in it that connects it formally or symbolically to the next drawing. For instnace, an object or texture may appear in several drawings, or an underlying structural rhythm may connect the whole sequence."

A journey through the environment consists of not only what you see (landscape, architecture, objects) but also what you sense and feel. Interpret the time of day and create a mood with the use of light and dark. How does light shift from indoors to outdoors with your sequence? Is it bright or gloomy outside? Are the halogen lights turned on or off over you computer screen?

"The real journey taken here is through the creative process," says Schwarz. "At first, students look outside themselves for information and consider how that information can be translated into something beyond documentation. In the second part, they are asked to focus on how they can utilize their drawing skills to increase what they saw and felt. They are encouraged to rearrange the sequence, remove excess detail, invent light and dark for dramatic effect-in short, to use their imaginative and creative abilities to intensify the sensation of the real"

I would like everyone to read this even if you do not do these exercises, because it has very important information about creativity.

Again I have to apologize for my images. I would have like to work more on my values but time ran out on me. Robin please forgive my perspective, I promise to go back to class.:D

My first image is the same image Joe has used in class 102-1. If you see it you will note, what I have omitted in mine. I have taken the tree and it's shadow to be what will connect the succeeding drawings. In the last drawing you can only see the tip of that particular tree on the opposite side.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Anita, don't worry, you have plenty of things to do and I will still be here after the class end date, for those that want more time. Regardless, I am always happy to see you pop in!:wave: :D

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Mary - I love these drawings and the idea of something linking them - what a great way to do a series!

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Thank you, Anita! It realy would!

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Les, Robin and Robyn - Nice Work!!! :clap:

I find it interesting how very different they all are, given we started with the same directions. Very creative group!!

Joe

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 01:22 PM
My first image is the same image Joe has used in class 102-1. If you see it you wil note, what I have omitted in mine. I have taken the tree and it's shadow to be what will connect the succeeding drawings. I the last drawing you can only see the tip of that particular tree on the opposite side.

You didn't have to point that out! :p
I was feeling really good about mine, and just posted it partially complete after many hours of adding tone,... it does not look half as good as the "sketch" you apologise for!!! Also you started this class apologising for lack of skill with graphite!! Give me a break!!

Great class by a great instructor!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Joe

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Another submittal on assignment 1. Still can't find any kitchen gadgets with interesting shapes...may follow Les's lead and head for the garage!

Joe

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Thank you Joe, you made my day with the compliment.:)

Wow Joe! I love this and you finished off with a perfect composition with the
three decorative elements on the top left. You and I have the same love for Native American Art. I would also frame this one, Joe, in a larger matted frame as I suggested to Robin. I think the format makes for an interesting piece and the drawing is superb. Now who needs to be given a break!:evil: :p

JayD
05-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Mary, this is a bit sloppy and I apologize but I at least wanted to get something in for assignment one. Did I get this right at least? I am going to do another before I do the second assignment. I want to give this another shot.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow JayD, you sure did get it. I love the way you arranged those. It is one of those with essence and feeling. I'd love to see another one! I do think it becomes fun. I am working on Jen vertically, since I saw that wabbit rendered her horizontally and very nicely. I hope she posts it over here.

Judi1957
05-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Joe-that is beautiful!

JayD I love that-the glasses look fab!
We are bringing in the rear-but we're here!:thumbsup:

Posting assignment 1 finally. This is the mantle corner in the living room. And a VERY SPECIAL THANKS MARY-I cleaned those windows today as they were so obviously in need of in the daylight (I drew this in the evening for the most part):D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/37258-assignment_1.jpg

JayD
05-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Judi, looks great--Mary, I cant wait to see the "Jendition" that you do--I will send it along to her for her collection.

I have another one coming--I paid more attention this time around!!!!

ummmm...this is kind of like drawing story board panels for comic books or graphic novels.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Judi, that is lovely! Your work is always so impecable and perfect. You cleaned the windows, well that is why they show the shiny reflection so well.:D Thank you all, I'm learning along with you!:lol:

JayD
05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
OK, this is my second amateurish attempt. Sorry. I like can openers!

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 05:32 PM
JayD this is very ingenious. You have achieved the idea of the 1st and 2nd assignment at the same time. Do you see the face on your right hand side of the screen. A profile face with an open mouth and the eye. You could do a lot with this.:clap: :clap: :clap: I never though you would go abstract so easy. Also look at the nice negative shapes.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Just look at all these amazing drawings!!!

Joe - I love it!Love the pot too - wouldn't mind one of those myself!

Jay - really cool and creative! Great can openers!

Judi - this is great too - nice perspective, real feeling of height!

Was today a day for the "J"s to post? :p

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 05:44 PM
An to top it off you started the sentence with a "J".:lol:

Striver
05-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Morning all, thanks for kind comments and isnt it exciting to see the differring piccy's coming in now.
Mary do I understand the 1st is to be redrawn much larger say 18" x 24". And that this time we are not to be too realistic. sort of inflate, distort etc see what happens.

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Was today a day for the "J"s to post? :p

Obviously Anita you didn't get the memo. In my former career we had a saying that "10% never get the word."....:lol:

Joe

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Judi - That is flat awesome!!!:thumbsup:

JayD - You definitely got from kitchen gadget to abstract pretty easily!! :cool: I still can't find a gadget I like.:(

Joe

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Joe - :p

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Roger that. :p

Joe

JayD
05-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Joe thanks--I do the cooking around here so I know where all the kitchen-ma-things are hiding out. As for abstract--read my posts--I've been pretty abstract for about 10 years now!!!

jmfletch
05-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Joe thanks--I do the cooking around here so I know where all the kitchen-ma-things are hiding out. As for abstract--read my posts--I've been pretty abstract for about 10 years now!!!

I do the cooking as well...it was part of the retiring early deal :D Still can't find anything with a shape that interests me "artistically"...( Boy does that sound weird.)

Gotta admit using a viewfinder with such a unique format is stimulating. My brides comment was that it makes the pictures more dramatic. I haven't framed anything in about 2 years and she wants to frame both the pieces I did for assignment 1.

Joe

Judi1957
05-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Yo JayD! That is so-o-o wonderful! I think your can opener in the front looks like two people yelling at each other! :clap: :clap: :clap: INSPIRING!!!!! I think I will put on my Les hat now and wander the house!

ty Joe and Anita. :)

Mary-I just read your assignment 2-TY for not making us do eight!:p :D :heart: I love your drawings! Beautiful!!!

Hey Class-How about a big hand for Mary!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/37258-clapping_hands.gif

Judi1957
05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
she wants to frame both the pieces I did for assignment 1.

Joe
Smart woman with taste!!!!

JayD
05-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Yep, Judi--that's me and the wife going at it! Joe, i just found some objects and tossed them on the table then pointed the viewfinder--and by the way, I was very late for the reasons that you say--I couldnt find anything to my liking either. Although I think this would make a great t-shirt once I clean it up!

ps--and she should Joe--I forgot to tell you they look great

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 07:25 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Mary!:clap: :clap: :clap:

All you housetrained men - I'm seriously impressed!

This is a quickie from me - was on the phone with Mary :thumbsup: :D so was feeling very guilty about not having done anything for her class. And before you say anything the pot sort of leans on one side (it has a pointed base so has to stand on a ring) I really like this format so I might have to do some more of these. It really makes composition much harder.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/58769-pot11_RJ.jpg

Robin Neudorfer
05-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Judi - beautiful view. Your attention to detail is excellent. I am so glad that you found the time to join in.
JayD - Now you pulled that out of a hat rather quickly. I like your can opener as well. I also saw the face(s), and I wonder if that is what the Sat. morn. cartoon illustrators are doing these days... staying up late playing with their kitchen gadgets... then putting a name to it. (ie-SpongeBob)...and making lots of $. Who knows what will come out of this class.
Jim - your drawing is beautiful. I agree with Mary the composition is very well thought out. Are you going to do a finish on the teddy bear as well? So they will be side by side?
Anita - are you doing a crop of those donuts and coffee pot?... or the dreaded chairs.
***oh I see you did something else, yeah for you. That looks great!
I need to go check if I missed anyone.

I love the write up for the next lesson Mary.
I most likely will do both.
Fun stuff, keeps the brain cells jumping around, not getting stale.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Robin - I'm going to crop the donuts too - will do that tomorrow as I am doing the still life then.

JayD
05-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi, Robin! I work at home and lately I cannot find my studio space nor my office for all of the shipping and promotiona materials that I have to store here. I waged war today on my office and now I have my space back. As much as I would like to say the can openers are spontaneous--that image has been mulling around my mind since mary started the class--Like I told Joe, I tossed some things on to a table but I had an idea where i was going--I will at LEAST get a T-Shirt out of this to give to my daughter. I often will make shirts for her with my drawings on them.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow, thank you for the clappies Judi and Anita. Hey guys I just spoke to Anita and listened to her beautiful British accent.:clap: :clap: :clap: We still have to meet hopefully!:thumbsup:

Les, the drawing can be normal size. Now you have to start drawing parts that appeal to you of your gadget and make those bigger, distort, inflate, etc. I know you will come up with something good.;) After this one you use the second drawing to go on to the third.:thumbsup:

JayD the idea of a Tshirt sounds splendid, your drawing is sure worthy of one.

Joe see, I wasn't the only one that thinks you should have that framed.

Anita, that is also splendid but I knew it would be.

You all don't know how happy you make me to know that this inspired you.

Robin, you are so enthusiastic that you have been a great help to me in this class.

Robin Neudorfer
05-27-2006, 09:08 PM
They better behave or they will have a pop-quiz in their PM box.

*you are most welcome. I am enthusiastic about art these days. My heart use to ache from the lack of it, and it doesn't anymore. WC is a BIG reason.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 09:20 PM
You are so right Robin. I have been drawing a drawing a day for two weeks now and I don't want to stop.

I'm posting JayD's beautiful daughter Jen I just finished for the WDT.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/43096-Jen.jpg

Robin Neudorfer
05-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Anita - now don't you cheat by cropping those donuts by taking a bite.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Robin - the donuts are so stale they would be totally inedible now! Still okay to paint though. I can't believe I didn't eat them - my will power must be stronger than I thought!

Mary - this is a cool class! It was great to speak to you too!!!! :D

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Thank you Anita, I enjoyed it very much too!:heart:

Are the donuts for your still life? I think I interrupted you and didn't let you finish telling me about it, I was so happy to talk to you.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
donuts and an arabic/african coffee pot! going for contrast!

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 10:16 PM
That sounds great!!! Let me know where you post it.

Anita Murphy
05-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Going to do a crop of it for this class I think too.

Mary Woodul
05-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Yippee, yes I want that for this class.

RobynS
05-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Judi - you interior is spectacular! :thumbsup:

Judi1957
05-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Mary-Jen looks FABULOUS!!!!:clap: :clap:

Thanks Robyn :) Hey I have family down under-know the Hartnett's?:D:lol: Oh-big place I guess.

RobynS
05-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Yes, Judi ... 18 million people in the country and 5 million in Sydney :p .

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Robyn I love your blog and thank you for adding the class.

Class field trip to RobynS Scratches & Scribbles and check out her Multi Moves still life drawing.

RobynS
05-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Thank you for your very generous comment, Mary :) and I am pleased that you visited. I would love anyone who visits my blog to leave a comment to mark your passing and links to your own blogs or Flickr spaces are always interesting.

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 07:41 AM
I will look through it today because I see you have so many interesting things in it. I am really interested in these bolgs and have not started one myself but once I have things a little more organized I will do it. I will take advantage of today to leave a comment in your blog.:)

RobynS
05-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Here is my effort at the second assignment for this class. Not sure if I am on the right track, but it was fun and interesting.

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Judi, thank you! I got distracted a while ago.:o

Robyn, it is really gratifying for me to see that you all have liked this exercise, sincerely I thought it wouldn't interest anyone.

You have done very well with yours and have gone through the steps perfectly. You found such a common subject and turned it into to many possibilities. Good work!

JayD
05-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Mary, wouldn't interest anyone? This class is a hoot! Robin, love what you did with yours--I really like the last one best.

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank you, JayD! I love that one of Robyn best, also.

Mandy Valin
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Cool ideas Robyn, I love how it seems like you are taking it apart, and re assembling it. Very neat to see

cmwynn
05-28-2006, 04:15 PM
So many great drawings. I am impressed at the quality of work and the thought going into these. The different format does stir the brain.
I'm not sure if I am on the right track for assignment 2 or not. I looked a couple of days ago to see what you all had done, but none posted until just now when I saw Robyn's as I was reading up. I rejected 100 ideas before coming up with the garden tools. I was excited about starting with a plant but read the directions again and dropped that. Now I think it might have been alright.
The first drawing was fairly careful. then it got (as Les says) free and frenzied. I think you can see the progression, certainly much more abstract than anything I have ever done. I will read the alternative assignment, may try that too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/29839-Tools_v1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/29839-tools_v2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/29839-tools_v3xm.jpg

cmwynn
05-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Uploader wouldn't let me add this one to the post. Is that artistic criticism or technology?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/29839-tools_v4xm.jpg

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Connie, this is very original! I'm having such a great time seeing how you all are able to abstract things. The last two are so keen. I would love to see more from you because you don't lose your style, it is still there in the abstracts. I love the way you have flattened the shape in the last one. Very, very good Connie!

RobynS
05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Definitely the technology, Connie, 'cause the drawing is VERY creative. You took the abstraction much further than I did. I am still being a little 'anal'. I have to learn to loosen up :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind comment, Mary.

Africanart
05-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Mary

I know that I said that I am going to do this lesson, but something has come up and my schedule and motivation for that matter has gone for a tumble :D :wink2: so I won't be able to do this. However, I will keep going in and see what's happening....I remember the viewfinder with fondness from school art :rolleyes:.

So the rest of you guy's keep going it looks great.

thanks

Mary

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't worry, Mary. We can't control unexpected things but when you get a chance to stop by, you know we always enjoy your presence and the class will continue on going like the others have.

tvandeb
05-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi, :wave:
I really enjoyed your class. JAYD suggested this class and was right, in saying it would help me. I am off to make my viewfinder, and will submit
my drawing later this week. Thanks it was really helpful!
Tammy Jo!

Mary Woodul
05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
It will be great to have you Tammy Jo! Welcome to the Classroom!

mmdm
05-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I need a little guidance for the alternate assignment. Maybe it is because I have a nagging headache and am not concentrating well, but I can't understand what the assignment is. The name A journey through light and dark suggests something to do with the light or the shadows but when I read everything it sounded like we were to draw 3 drawings that had a connection of some sort, and I didn't see any mention of lights, darks, shadows, ect. Does the drawing need to be outside scenery or does that matter? I am just not sure exactly what we are supposed to do. I feel very dense this morning! :o

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
No you're right Melisa I think the write up doesn't really mention much about the title. In the instructions she mentions a connection from one drawing to the other but also as you are going from one area to the next, like from the outside to the inside. I didn't do that because I thought it would take too many drawing, in fact she talks about eight. You can have a good sequence with three.

My first drawing is a courtyard in our ranch and I drew it more or less how it is but I omitted details to simplify it and show the shadow more. ( I wish I could have darkened mine more) Drawing 2, would be going through the arch, it would take me to a wide open area where I put the tree that I have on the left in the first drawing, on the right in the second and tried to imitate the shadows. Drawing 3, would be what I see behind the wooden gate and you can see the tip of the tree on the upper right hand corner and the shadows also. Remember a lot of this you can make up, and you can use references but you don't have to post them.

Forgot to say this one is only if you don't want to do assignment 2 It is an option.

mmdm
05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
So the assignment is to draw 3 different drawings that all have a connection or something in common? I can see that is what you did, (love the drawings, BTW) but I'm not sure if that is the whole of the idea or if I am still missing part of it.

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
The concluding step is to create five or six drawings in class (away from the original drawing site) that emphasize interpretation. Each of these drawings should have something in it that connects it formally or symbolically to the next drawing. For instance, an object or texture may appear in several drawings, or an underlying structural rhythm may connect the whole sequence."
This is what I tried to do but in only three drawings.

A journey through the environment consists of not only what you see (landscape, architecture, objects) but also what you sense and feel. Interpret the time of day and create a mood with the use of light and dark. How does light shift from indoors to outdoors with your sequence? Is it bright or gloomy outside? Are the halogen lights turned on or off over you computer screen?

This part I think is a little more complex and I think this is where the light and dark comes in. In my drawing I tried to portray a feeling of very sunny skies and open spaces but you can also go the other way. Don't be afraid to express it the way you feel it and it can be interior or exterior. The purpose is also to add or omit if you want, or invent. Take one thing from one drawing and place it in the next and if you don't go exactly by the exercise it doesn't matter, try what you feel you would like to do.

mmdm
05-29-2006, 12:35 PM
OK, I think I understand a little better, but hopefully others will post theirs while I am thinking about it and I'll be able to tell if I have the right idea.

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I forgot to tell you that I hope you headache disappears soon and maybe I was the one that didn't understand the exercise correctly. Hope not!:o

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't know if I will confuse the subject, but this is where the creative side comes in. Instead of literally drawing what you see, or what you know to be true, you will use the information and create using your senses. A sort of blending of the real and the imaginary. You, the artist take control of your drawing and adapt, merge, heighten the light, darken the mood, sharpen, blur...
Sometimes it helps to close your eyes and listen. Feel the space, the moment, the atmosphere. Perhaps if it is a crisp day, how can you show that in a drawing? If one is scared of a situation, how is that portrayed? If the shadows of the leaves are dancing on the ground, what kind of pencil work can we use to suggest that.
Perhaps I have complicated the subject...?
Or I do believe this assignment can be successful, if an object is carried from one drawing to the next, but drawn from a different perspective (view).

Striver
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Melissa, Teacher & all.
Just had two days stolen from me, where did they go. Now what was I doing.
Melissa, I guess a few of us are unclear on what to do and unsure, however we have an excellent teacher and we are here to learn. Take heart & have a go, Im thinking that perhaps the brain need be in neutral for abtract anyway. Mine often is idling so I should be a natural (lol) Lot of support here and what have you got to lose. Thought my subjects useless & uninteresting but I broke the ice with them. Go on lass have a go.
Cheers
Les

Striver
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Robin
More, applause. Do you write poetry as well.
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Nope, never had any confidence with my writing abilities. Art was what I was praised for, so I stuck with that.
Interesting concept though Les, to write what one is thinking, and feeling as we conceptualize a work of art. This could then be placed with the art for viewing, so as to give the viewer a more complete picture of the artists state of mind at the time the art was produced.

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Robin, no I don't think you confused it I think you cleared what I was trying to say.:lol:

Les, thank you, what you have said is a little of what my quote by Shaun McNiff says, that I used before the introduction of the class. It is more letting your feelings take over than your brain. (If that made sense):confused:

Anita Murphy
05-29-2006, 01:34 PM
to write what one is thinking, and feeling as we conceptualize a work of art. This could then be placed with the art for viewing, so as to give the viewer a more complete picture of the artists state of mind at the time the art was produced.

This sounds straight out of artschool Robin!!!!

Striver
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Aha
Will enquire about a Lobotomy tomorrow, make way at the top.
Les

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
This sounds straight out of artschool Robin!!!!

Which I know from talking with you, you hated.
For considering concepts, and space, we have to think abstractly. Move away from what is expected. Stretch the norm. Believe me, you will generate new brain cells, and this is a good deterent for Alzheimers.

jmfletch
05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Sometimes it helps to close your eyes and listen. Feel the space, the moment, the atmosphere. ... If the shadows of the leaves are dancing on the ground,.

This brings back vague recollections from the late 60's.:evil:

Joe

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Throw it out the window if you don't like where it is headed. Or if it brings back evil thoughts. It helps me go deeper into my work, and gives it meaning. I was just a child and young teen in the 60's. Grew up without a TV, so I had plenty of time to think, and explore. Put a flower in my hair at some point and pretended to know what it all was about. It wasn't until after my stint in the commercial art world, that I now can see and sense a deeper level. It is what makes art meaningful to me. Going beyond a pretty picture.
Most important is to enjoy the process, the act of doing it.

jmfletch
05-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Robyn and Connie - Nice work!!:clap: :clap:

I didn't do a sequence as you both did. I just jumped from sketch to abstract. Hope I still get a passing grade.

Toying with doing assignment 3 as well ... I'm thinking of a series of 3 pictures just getting closer with each step. Would that be Okay, Mary?

Joe

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Joe outstanding!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: The one on the right is just extraordinary and you sure get a passing grade. I would love to see you do No.3

I go to the gorcery store and come back to a very informative class. Robin, thank you!

Robin and ALL, have you read Shaun McNiff's book, Trust the process?

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Joe - those two are superb. I love what you did on the right.

Mary - did you shop for me as well? I have been putting domestic duties low on the priority list and it shows.

Oh no... another book for my stack? I will check it out.

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I stepped away to go cook some picadillo. Check the book out Robin and also when I e-mailed Anna Held Audette she mentioned that her book "The Blank Canvas" was a better book for the process toward abstraction.

JayD
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey, Teach--I am still in but I had to stop TO DRAW A BOAT!!!!

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey, Teach--I am still in but I had to stop TO DRAW A BOAT!!!!

Well that's good too, you'll get points here for that one!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey you are going to hit the 10,000 mark, are you going to get another star?:envy:

JayD
05-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Holy cow, I never even noticed--I have no idea if I will get another star--it would be cool.

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
So lets all talk to JayD and watch him get another star...
It would be memorial...

JayD
05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
On Memorial Day no less!!!

Robin Neudorfer
05-29-2006, 04:03 PM
... only 3 to go
now where are you going to put that MEMORIAL post?

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
On Memorial Day no less!!!
Yay, JayD, 10,000 posts and six stars!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Striver
05-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Good one Jo
Les

Anita Murphy
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Joe - I really like what you did with this - the one on the right is great!

I'm still toying with my donuts Mary (that sounds incredibly suggestive!) but will do something with them for your thread. Having a horrible time with composition!

RobynS
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Robyn and Connie - Nice work!!:clap: :clap:

I didn't do a sequence as you both did. I just jumped from sketch to abstract. Hope I still get a passing grade.

Toying with doing assignment 3 as well ... I'm thinking of a series of 3 pictures just getting closer with each step. Would that be Okay, Mary?

Joe
Thanks for the applause, Joe.

I tried going straight to the abstract in an art class exercise last night ... and fell flat on my face. Perhaps I still need some crawling lessons before I walk :)

Mary Woodul
05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Anita!:lol: You are so funny! I''l be waiting for the donuts.:D

RobynS, You did very well with your keys but abstract is much harder than realism. So many people think it is just scribbling here and there until they really try it.:)

Robin Neudorfer
05-30-2006, 01:33 AM
I just thought this might make a good field trip, based on a Slice of Life.

http://www.betsystewartpaintings.com/display/ShowPicture?moduleId=109604&galleryId=9669&pictureId=110777

Striver
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Robin
WOW, what is Sumi ink?
Cant imagine ever getting to something like that.
Awed
Les

Striver
05-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Me brain is working overtime, getting ideas Mary, Robin what have you done to me. Still thought is only the start eh, putting it down can be the challenge.
L

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Robin, perfect link, for this

Les, that is the challenging and exciting part of creating and in spite of error and fall you get up and start again.:D I love to see that spirit in you.

mmdm
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Still trying to decide on a subject for that last assignment. Nothing here around the house really appeals to me. I really enjoyed the field trip this morning. I like he way the paintings had a very abstract feel to them, yet were still recognizable things for the most part. I wonder what the ratio was for those slices. More than 5:1 I'd think. Some of them looked VERY long and narrow. I liked the sets that went together, very much.

Les - My geography skills are almost non-existant. What or where is Auckland?

cmwynn
05-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Robin - I really enjoyed the field trip. The final, showing all of them collected in one 3-D form was very inspiring.
The extra comments about the alternative assignment have me thinking - always dangerous.

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Melisa, maybe just drawing any room in you house but notice how the sun comes in through the window and draw in the shadows. Then you can take one of those shadows and take it to a next room. Remember you can omit unecessary things and go from a wide space to a narrow closed in space.

Connie, don't worry you just let yourself go with the assignment and you will come up with something good. You have a very distinct style.

mmdm
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Melisa, maybe just drawing any room in you house but notice how the sun comes in through the window and draw in the shadows. Then you can take one of those shadows and take it to a next room.

But those shadows wouldn't be in another room? I guess I am still feeling a bit dense, LOL. I will have another look around, but there is nothing remotely interesting about my house or it's rooms. I love my neighborhood, but I hate my house.

Robin Neudorfer
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
We can't draw what we hate.
Draw spring, draw the ceremony around a cup of tea or coffee, draw the park, draw the activity around the bathtub or sink with towel and treasured items that make you feel good. I see that you like to sew and make quilts, make a story with your objects.
You are not dense, you just need to free yourself to view the world in bit more playful way. Have fun with your art.

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Melisa, you say you love your neighborhood. If you want to take photos of parts you like and it doesn't matter if they don't exist in one of the drawings. In my second drawing, the tree doesn't exist there, I copied it from the first drawing and the tree is on the left.

If you prefer assignment 2, you are good at abstract because you demonstrated it with your colored drawing.:)

Striver
05-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi all, lovely sunny morning and crisp with it, winter getting it's grip. Melissa, Auckland is in the the home of "The Lord of the Rings country" New Zealand down a bit from Hawaii and near Australia considered out cousins from colonial days. Think like myself Astract seems another dimension from outer space, Actually I feel that there are objects all around me if only I could recognise them, Mary is helping us to open ourselves to see. Frankly I am not happy with my objects, said to myself 'OK, you find something in this room, the kitchen and draw it, whatever, same in the Cafe, could be the garden, the street outside where ever, main thing is making the start and the meomentum should carry us forwards, especiallwith Mary and Robin to shove (coax) us along. Go for it, nothing to lose but a little time and paper.
Another day gone today before it starts and this week looks committed.
Melissa, set a time limit, something in the hour whatever. The view finder is great, but you need to use it to create.
Enjoy and laugh while doing it
Les

Striver
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Melissa, any designs on your quilts, use part etc. Or if patches sspred over two patches. Sounds exciting.
L

Robin Neudorfer
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
You are a great cheerleader Les.
That is also what I was thinking. Quilts...hmmm... fabric, needle and thread, machine, scissors, pin cushion, ruler... more I am sure. Needle and thread being what stitches all three pictures together?

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Good words, Les!:) Melisa's two drawings with the viewfinder are so nice that I hope you find something your are comfortable with, Melisa. If you want to do another one with the viewfinder, that is fine with me. It is good practice.

Does it get very cold in the winter in Auckland, Les?

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 06:27 PM
We crossposted. Robin and Les those are all good ideas. Jewelry, kids toys.

jmfletch
05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the applause, Joe.

I tried going straight to the abstract in an art class exercise last night ... and fell flat on my face. Perhaps I still need some crawling lessons before I walk :)

Know exactly where you are coming from. Abstract definitely is not my cup of tea. I think I did a decent job in the assignment but it took almost a week to find a shapes that interested me enough to create anything. To be asked to do it on demand in class....Defintely would not happen.

Abstract has very little appeal to me. I understand it requires knowledge of and proper use of composition and creating contrast in color, tone, temperature, etc. but it just doesn't ring my chimes.

If any abstract lovers were offended by the above opinion statements...please accept my ygolopa. :angel:

Mary, Robin and Les - Thanks for the kind words.

Joe/Jim

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Joe, I understand you perfectly and abstract in graphite is so much more difficult. Honestly I feel lost without my papers, textures and dripping paint.:D :p, but you tried it and came up with a very successful piece.

jmfletch
05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Joe, I understand you perfectly and abstract in graphite is so much more difficult. Honestly I feel lost without my papers, textures and dripping paint.:D :p, but you tried it and came up with a very successful piece.

Thanks Mary. Hope I did not offend anyone ...just empathizing with Robin's class experience.

Joe

P.S Still working on making a finished piece using your courtyard as reference. Since finding out it is your home all I can think is....if your house needs a house guest let me know!:evil:

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 07:17 PM
P.S Still working on making a finished piece using your courtyard as reference. Since finding out it is your home all I can think is....if your house needs a house guest let me know!

Sure does, Joe!:thumbsup:

Striver
05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Ah time to go out again, drag with so much in wc to do, still it's nice not to be on a time limit and deadlines to meet.
Cold in Auckland, not really, but it is what you get used to isnt it, 5 C overnight and 15 C mid day now, bordering 0 and 10 down south, also get snow down there from say the middle of the North island. very rarely snow here, hard frost thats all.Suppose the blood in the old veins is thinner also and a lack of cuddles makes a differrence. Much colder back in Wales my birthplace, do not miss snow drifts, ice and snow at all. Had to dive under and work under my boat in the river Sunday, water chilly but bearable and lots of hot coffee etc. I am just a softy now.
Les

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Have a nice day Les.:) Your weather sound like our weather and I guess my blood is thining too because I am very cold natured.

mmdm
05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Les, and everyone for the encouragement. Maybe if I drag out some of my sewing stuff, that will inspire me. I ran out of time today, but I don't have physical therapy tomorrow to break up my day so maybe I will find some time, then. I know if I pick something that isn't interesting to me, I won't follow through with 3 drawings, so I am hoping to find something fun.

Mary Woodul
05-30-2006, 08:45 PM
That is good news Melisa! Take your time, there is still plenty and I will continue checking in on the class after the date on the thread.