PDA

View Full Version : a healthy glow about her

TWTom
05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I think this is pretty much the same palette as the last portrait I did, except for a bit more sunny yellow to make her glow.

I've been working on drawing noses, but nothing special with this one.

Again I went out of my way to not be so stiff when I draw. It's the addiction of Painter or digital generally that it can almost turn into a "paint by numbers" approach, where I stiffly color in the tracing paper or a tightly drawn outline.

The other thing here is that I used some fashion magazines to help me understand the general facial structure when the original photo was a little blurry. So this became a bit of a Frankenstein. A little bit of this model...a little bit of that model, etc.

Has anyone thought about posting some videos of their drawing process in youtube.com or wherever with a link here? I was thinking about it as I kept seeing more and more links to youtube. I'll tell you if I do.

C&C welcomed. My skin is wonderfully thickening, and it's a good thing.

LadyAlba
05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I like the face tones and you did get that glow going! :clap: :wave:

justjean
05-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Interesting colours on her Tom :)

Annie*M
05-22-2006, 03:45 AM
A very relaxed and warm portrait

barryt
05-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Very healthy, and you've captured happy too! Nice and loose.

JCoop
05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Tom, Frankenstein never looked so gorgeous. Maybe the teeth and the whites of the eyes are a shade too bright... and the yellow a shade strong. That probably boils down to personal and artistic preference. you've done a great job on her expression... her smile leaps from the screen. Very nicely done.:thumbsup:

TWTom
05-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Maybe the teeth and the whites of the eyes are a shade too bright... and the yellow a shade strong. That probably boils down to personal and artistic preference.

A difficulty I think is that each of our monitors may be a little different. I did notice my monitor was turned down a little, so the final effect on the "average" monitor probably is a little bright.

I swear for whatever reason this picture seems much brighter and yellower than when I first posted it. Yikes.

But having said that, I love artists that put lots of color in portraits, so I bet my personal tastes are colorful. For example I used to read Doug Dawson's and Harley Brown's tutorial books over and over.
doug dawson portrait (http://www.ventanafineart.com/item.asp?tid=2&aid=7&iid=95)
more doug dawson portraiture (http://www.ventanafineart.com/item.asp?tid=2&aid=7&iid=122)

Thank you all so much for your thoughts!