PDA

View Full Version : Simple Line Drawing from Photo - Paint Shop Pro

Dark_Shades
05-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know how to make a simple line drawing using Paint Shop Pro from a photo?
This is something Dianna did for the workshops but using another software programme, Photo Shop I think.... and would love to be able to do this using Paint Shop Pro ......... Would be a useful tool, in simplyfying a subject matter...

Thanks for any help ......

So far have been able to get the image to a faint outline, but too much detail and not dark enough by going to 'effects' and 'Edge Effects', 'Find Contours'

Ruth Grinstead
05-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi Dawn

I have been experimenting too and the best I have got so far is by Effects -Edge Effects - Find All. Then I have just looked at it and taken out any bits I did not want. I think Dianna said that after finding edges she would adapt to give better composition etc.

As for making the lines darker maybe increase contrast or something.

I shall watch this thread with interest to find out if anyone has different methods.

Ruth

Deborah Secor
05-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Is this how you all managed to have such similar compositions, Dawn? They're so exactly drawn--very nice. That's half the battle, isn't it?

I've done line drawing effects in Photoshop, but not PSP... Why not check over in the Digital Art froum? I bet they'll have some info for you.

Deborah

Dark_Shades
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Ruth ....... I tried to do the contrast etc, but the background colour increased too :P .. and turned a nasty grey lol ... will let you know if I find out anything....

Hi Dee, yes, Dianna was very organised and had prepared these drawings as overlays for us to work from ........ lol, can you imagine the amount of time that would of been wasted whilst she waited for us to get our basic drawings done, we'd probably still be there now, drawing - rubbing out, drawing, rubbing out :lol:

... ohhh of course, the digital forum, thanks Dee...... had completely forgotten about that forum lol :o ..... was sitting here thinking perhaps the computer forum might be able to help ...

I think this could be a great tool to aid seeing things more simplistically - I found myself getting bogged down with detail and the same in painting.. so quite refreshing......... and a great learning curve

Dark_Shades
05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks Dee..... :wave: .... got the answers from the Digi Forum ..... :clap: :thumbsup:

Ill write down my results Ruth and let you know........ too late now, as gone midnight

Kathryn Day
05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Dawn, I found a psp 8 tutorial on making a simple outline drawing. With this method you can choose which lines you want. Check it out and see if it what you were looking for. Let me see if I can add the link.

http://www.nightshadowfx.com/outline/outline1.shtml

yeah, the link worked.

Dark_Shades
05-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Kathy, that looks great...... going off for a closer inspection...... Ive sort of worked something out from what was posted in the Digi Forum, but trying to translate it over into PSP..... so far seems really hit and miss depending on the image you are using.........

so thank you very much for this

Dark_Shades
05-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Kathy....... checked that link out, its a bit indepth and long winded to what we are after...... have managed to get a quick line drawing in PSP, but its no exact science, and perhaps not good enough for what we want, especially in comparison to what Dianna was able to achieve

*Marina*
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Dawn, I will have a look into this when we are back home. You can always put your picture in greyscale, enlarge to the size you want it and print it in several goes. At least that is what I did and it works beautifully. Cheers

*Marina*
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Dawn, I will have a look into this when we are back home. You can always put your picture in greyscale, enlarge to the size you want it and print it in several goes. At least that is what I did and it works beautifully. Cheers

Ruth Grinstead
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I tried the PSP line drawing method from the link abouve with the pen and tracing round the outline and I got a clear picture but it was a bit time consuming for a one off, but might be great if you wanted enough for a workshop.

I tried the instructions from the digi forum but keep getting lost half way through.

So for now I am desaturating (to Black and white) - edge effect - Find All. Then going to Adjust - Add/remove noise -Edge preserving smooth (which gets rid of some of the yuck)

Then turn up contrast if need be.

Ruth

Dark_Shades
05-23-2006, 06:29 PM
There seems to be so many combinations........ this is what I came up with

Decrease Colour to 2bit or Greyscale
Gausican Blur
Find All Edges/Trace Contours
Negative
Erode
Enhance More

but if you were to do another sequence you may or may not get a better image...... so frustrating that no one set method

*Deirdre*
05-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi all....given the relative cheapness of printing out a picture....and given that Dianna's method of transferring the drawing is so simple using pastel dust...would it not be possible just to print an extra copy of the ref and trace the bits you want to transfer directly from that without messing about getting the line drawing?:evil: