PDA

View Full Version : Hedwig MI

Evansph2
05-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, I made the mistake of looking at others works before posting mine:wink2: But, I'm going to go ahead and post anyway -- I am VERY open to suggestions. I don't think I did poor Hedwig justice here. I can see that I don't quite have the proportions of the face just right -- especially the two eyes. Her left eye looks smaller to me in the photo -- but somehow when I draw it smaller it doesn't look right. I would love suggestions! The first drawing was done on colored art paper and the second in my sketchbook. Both with Prismacolors -- which I am obviously just learning to use!! Thank you for the lovely photos to choose from this week-end! It is such fun to get up on Sunday morning and know I'll have something to draw!! Pennyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2006/79451-img101.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2006/79451-img100.jpg

connievanwinssen
05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Lovely drawings. The first has a better resemblance then the second, but you did a good job on both of them. Welcome to the WDEs:)

wabbitt
05-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Good job on both portraits. I like how you managed to find other colors in her hair and face. I wish I could do that. Welcome to Wetcanvas and WDEs.

KathyDebby
05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome to WDE!! I think your drawings are wonderful! Hey...I'm learning to use prismacolors, too...so you are not alone! I keep telling myself, "Ya' gotta start somewhere!" LOL!! This is an awesome start!

bjcpaints
05-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Good for you Penny! Nice work and welcome to the WDE - is this your first? I am just trying portraits and finding them extremely difficult! Yours are good - you caught her smile!
Barbara

Elain
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I love the expression you have caught in the second one.

The first is actuallu two portraits in one, each half different. The half on the right side is terrific. If you lightly make a plan of the face to start with and lines across to mark the height of the eyes, the eyebrow line, the width of the mouth, you may find it easier to get the sides the same. You have done this on the second one.
You have placed the eyes the same distance either side of the central line of face so you already have a good sense of the face. Look forward to seeing more.

Elain

Brooklyn
05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Very nice job on both, especially when working with a new medium!
Pat

Meimei
05-22-2006, 11:46 PM
I've never been brave enough to try drawing faces so can't offer advice. You have some lovely colors in the skin tones. I'd say you're doing great.

gae
05-23-2006, 12:29 AM
You need not feel hesitant in posting your work, all work is good work. As for your proportions try this. Take the image you want to draw and print it out. Black and white is best for seeing the values (darks and lights). Color helps deside which colors to use. Now take a ruler and block it into one inch squares. Mark your lines with a marker so it is easier to see. Now take your drawing medium and draw the one inch by one inch grid on it. Next use the grid on you drawing medium and visually transfer the image from the printed image's grid. The grid helps you keep proportions in line. Hey if it worked for the Masters why not us??? This method is great to "scale up or down any drawing you need to do.

YYcat
05-23-2006, 05:51 AM
You did right to post, and you made good drawings. :thumbsup:

sundiver
05-23-2006, 05:56 AM
You have her warm smile down pat! I have no portrait advice since the things frustrate me no end- and I hear ya on getting the eyes to go together! But the folks in the portrait and cp forums will have lots of useful advice to offer if you cross-post there.

angelcat
05-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I like your first one best, the light glows! and I like all the colors you use....

Charlie's Mum
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Penny - well tried! Portraits are not easy and you've done really well with the colours for your skin tones.

My suggestions would be to try to make your pencil/pastel/brush strokes (whichever medium you choose!) follow the contours of the face rather more closely ....... can you see how there's a dominance of slightly diagonal lines in yours? - they tend to flatten a bit.

Then the eye which is a problem for you (her left, our right) .... if you look at the ref again, you'll see that you cannot actually see the inner corner of her eye - it's hidden by her nose ......... it's really all a question of looking, looking and looking again :D

Hope this helps :D

bluefrog
05-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Great job on these.