PDA

View Full Version : shipment question

Aselka
03-04-2002, 08:19 PM
I have a question about shipment.
how do you ship to your clients-do you ship your unframe piece in the envelope (what kind of envelope?) or box. do you put some hard material like a cardboard to protect painting from damages?

Few my auctions are coming to the end and I have not shipped before much, maybe few items to my friends so I need some help.

Thank You in advance

Aselka

Sumafra
03-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Some people roll their painting up in a shipping tube and ship it that way. I personally don't like to do that. I use coroplast, it's like corrugated cardboard only made of plastic. It''s practically indestructible. It's cheap to buy at the building supply store. here is what I do: I put the painting on the coroplast and wrap both in cellophane. That protects against bending and moisture. I then add a piece of cardboard on top of the painting to protect from punctures and wrap the whole lot with brown shipping paper. Never had a problem yet. Works like a charm.

sketchdude
03-04-2002, 11:38 PM
I've had good luck doing pretty much like Suzette. First I cover the work with plastic, and then "sandwich" it with cardboard. I put a layer of bubble wrap in with paper pieces. Then I cover the whole thing with brown paper.

I prefer US priority mail with insurance and delivery confirmation. So far I've shipped around 50 packages with no problem. Insurance makes it hard to calculate the cost of postage up front, though. I don't know the actual value of the piece until the auction is over.

arteitaliana
03-05-2002, 01:44 AM
For small paintings I use FedEx boxes ( I ship FedEx all the times), a plastic bag and scrunched up newspaper.. For larger stretched canvasses I get large flat cardboard boxes from my framer ( the ones the are used to ship matboard to him, so they are really big, about 30x40x1"). I turn them inside out and build a box of the dimensions I need using a Stanley utility knife. Then I put the stretched canvas inside a clear plastic bag and inside the box. I finish by sealing all edges with clear packing tape. You can do that with small paintings also, of course. I don't use bubble wrap because is expensive and not bio degradable. The less I use of these materials the better I feel.
I have shipped almost 70 paintings this way, never had a problem.

R

CarlyHardy
03-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Check your local furniture stores for large clean boxes that you can cut down to size....and for styrofoam that works great for packing.

Remember to pack your paintings so that they don't shake or move about in the package...but not so tightly that you bend or crush them.

Also, use a permanent marker to write "ARTWORK - DO NOT BEND" or "DO NOT CRUSH" on the outside the box. I always insure paintings and use a delivery confirmation.
carly

Aselka
03-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Thank You Carly, Rita, Suzette and scetchdude!

you provided me with very helpful information. I would probably create a "sandwich" from cardboard and palstic. I'm thinking to use my own envelopes instead of those, which you can find in post offices.

Good luck in your art,

Aselka