PDA

View Full Version : Art Institute Online

Donald_Smith
05-19-2006, 02:54 PM
HI,

I've searched this forum looking for references for Art Institute Online. My son is in the process of enrolling in Media Arts and Animation. I was wondering if anyone had any comments about this school. Good or bad thoughts and opinons would be appreciated. They do have a good placement of the graduates, over 90%.

Thanks,
Don Smith

LiftNw8
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
I would love to not say anything negative about this school, but if he is using the online program, and he isn't used to a fast paced learning environment that doesn't allow for you to absorb what you are being taught I wouldn't recommend using this school, the typical term for a class is 5.5 weeks, so there is a great deal of learning jammed into this, and I was only taking web design courses, plus working full time, I was fine till I hit the class on Flash.

Needless to say I had a bad experience with them.

osidianrose
07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend taking any classes dealing with art and design over the internet. I mean...would you take chemistry over the internet?

LiftNw8
07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
I would have to disagree in today world where technology makes many thing possible and that includes taking different classes online, I mean after all do you need to be in the actual classroom for the lecture, I would think not, that is what is great about online classes, the only problem is you have to find the ones that are reputable, and that follow the normal college format, that is what I am doing now with a different school, and I look forward to it, and I am sure I will get just as much out of it as someone sitting in the classroom.

Donald_Smith
08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you both for your input. My son went to a reputible college and one of the teachers treated his students like he was an art director. No instruction, just passed out assignments, then his critiques were, "I don't know why, but I don't like it, you get a C or a D." We shall see how his online art classes go. He starts this week.

There are many learning styles, and my son was homeschooled, so he knows how to study, and stay self motivated. We shall see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Don

Bringer
08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi,

We all have many things in common and many things that are personal in our ways of being. So my opinion will of course be applied to some and not so much to others.
Although I'm not against taking online lessons and I do think that they can be a good complement to «regular» ones, I do believe that it's better to frequent a live class where one contacts directly to people.
Lets not forget that the human being, as with all animals (or at least most of them) has the need of getting in touch with people physically.
Of course that your son will get in touch with people besides school, but he will work in a team - yeah I know he can also do that online - well, all this to say that I think live classes are better than online. If they have good quality, of course.
Wetcanvas is a good example how one can learn more online than on certain live classes.

Kind regards and good luck to your son,

José