PDA

View Full Version : Dianna Ponting UK Sudbury Workshop - The Event

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Well were back from the First (I believe) UK Workshop held by Dianna Ponting, and an experience not to be missed, I am sure as the others get back home they will come in and add their comments and pictures. There were 8 in the group (of which 6 were WC Members) so a perfect size for Dianna to work around and for all of us to get to know one another, which was absolutely great to meet in real the members and of course Dianna herself. The setting was perfect, Sudbury in Norfolk the home town of Gainsborough himself – a statue in the Market square commemorating him. Cobbled streets and old Tudor buildings, quaint shops, Tea Rooms. Dianna’s sister loved it especially. The workshop itself was held in the buildings to the side of the Gainsborough Museum, which is literally the house that Gainsborough was born and raised in, in the centre were his own gardens which we spent quite some time in too, chatting and drinking coffee from the museum Coffee shop – a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. There were some lovely flowers that caught our interest along with a 450 year old Mulberry Tree. It was arranged that the curators would give us a personal talk and tour of the house and view some of his personal belongings along with paintings and that of Reynolds dated around 1767. Another day we had a private viewing of two of his pastel drawings, that are not shown to the general public due to the light – so we were very privileged and were allowed very close inspections.

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_142.jpg

450 Year Old Mulberry Tree

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_143.jpg

Working Top Left to Right then Front Row
Dave (EyeintheSky), Marina (Applebee), Dianna's Cousin Jean, Deirdree (Deepat WC Guide), Johnathan, Emma (EmmaG), The Great Dianna (herself) Ruth Grinstead (RuthGrinstead :D) ....... Me (Dark_Shades) taking the Pic :wave:

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-Dianna1.jpg

Dianna showing us some of her techniques - look at those great original pastels behind her

*Deirdre*
05-18-2006, 01:49 PM
It was an amazing experience...to meet people who were strangers - yet not strangers at all, knowing them so well, from reading their words online!
I'll let you into a secret....Dark_Shades isn't a monkey....she's a lovely young lady!:D Well....we knew that, didn't we?:p

To see Dianna's artwork, so precious to me, so casually pinned with drawing pins to a wall!:eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5150008.JPG
Same line up....but this time I took the picture...so Dark_Shades is in it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5170011.JPG

khourianya
05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
ohh - I am just green with envy! I have been trying to fit one of her workshops into my schedule for close to 2 years now...and wouldn't it figure - I'm heading to Vancouver next wekeend...and she is in England!

Great photos.

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_135.jpg

Dave and Dianna discussing his work.... (see we did manage to fit in some time to actually work!!! - well perhaps not me....... I was taking the pics :wave:

Dianna had a super dooper mechanical pencil sharpener...... that I think I might of managed to have obtained (got to put in the batteries and test out) it was an absolute Whizz and sharpening Pastel Pencils

Bill Foehringer
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Cool synopsis of the "Event". Glad I'm not the only one who grabs a work off the easel for a better angle, LOL. Good to see you all, except Dark Shades hiding behind the lens. BillF

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
ohh - I am just green with envy! I have been trying to fit one of her workshops into my schedule for close to 2 years now...and wouldn't it figure - I'm heading to Vancouver next wekeend...and she is in England!

Great photos.

Ohhhhhhh shucks Cori......... I had waited two years as well .... I believe she off to Wales now (detouring to St. Ives in Cornwall), then one in the North of England, and then onto Ireland.... a very busy lady and very very popular too

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Cool synopsis of the "Event". Glad I'm not the only one who grabs a work off the easel for a better angle, LOL. Good to see you all except Dark Shades hiding behind the lens. BillF

lol Bill, Ill pop up in the finale lol

khourianya
05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Well - I figure I'll get there when I get there. Eventually (and sooner rather than later) I will get to have the Ponting Experience (or she could start making videos...hint. hint, Dianna)

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 01:57 PM
It was an amazing experience...to meet people who were strangers - yet not strangers at all, knowing them so well, from reading their words online!
I'll let you into a secret....Dark_Shades isn't a monkey....she's a lovely young lady!:D Well....we knew that, didn't we?:p

To see Dianna's artwork, so precious to me, so casually pinned with drawing pins to a wall!:eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5150008.JPG
Same line up....but this time I took the picture...so Dark_Shades is in it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5170011.JPG

HEY VIOLATION..... VIOLATION - WC GUIDE EXCEEDING HER OOJIE WOTSITS :lol:

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Oi, get your own thread Deirdre LOLOLOL........
ohhhhh I didnt see your comments till just now lolol........ Im am really a monkey, the other face is just a Mask I wear lol........ Oh, Im not young at all......... only in heart I guess

*Deirdre*
05-18-2006, 02:02 PM
HEY VIOLATION..... VIOLATION - WC GUIDE EXCEEDING HER OOJIE WOTSITS :lol:
You didn't think I'd let you off the hook, did you?:evil: :lol: :p :D

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Us listening intently ....... Dianna said it was the quietest group she had ever had :lol:

Me ...... relegated to back of class to take the pics :wave:

(ha only joking)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_139.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:15 PM
To see Dianna's artwork, so precious to me, so casually pinned with drawing pins to a wall!

yes, indeed, Dianna is not pretentious in any shape of form - though I did feel quite intimidated for awhile, because Ive had admired her work for so long, and rather in awe

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Marina (applebee) taking a picture of her work

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_150.jpg

Emma with hers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_137.jpg

Both Emma and Marina are left handed, and Dianna provided images for left handed people to work from.

Those blue boxes are Mine :D and where I sat ....... first time Ive been even remotely organised..... though if you looked in the drawers of the boxes you wouldnt believe it lol

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
We were all interested in everyones supplies and equipment, exchanging were we got our supplies from, trying out papers, and pastels.
Marina, Dave , Ruth and Johnathan had full stand Easels...... Deirdree had a desk top easel, where as Emma and myself worked from our laps on a board, and Jean worked flat on the table top

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-New_year_2006_151.jpg

bjcpaints
05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
How nice to "see" all of you and I am so in envy of your time with Dianna! I must say I love her hair and it is so wierd that I had made an appt to get mine cut about 6" off tonight. Going grey a bit now and did not feel it was "age appropriate". DH is sad and after seeing Dianna's I might just change my mind! What a fabulous place to have a workshop! Thanks so much for your pics and descriptions - the next best thing to being there!
Barbara

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
The project was to all work from the same image (Dianna takes beautiful photographs too - we were all oooooooohing and arrrrrrhhhhhhing). I had never worked on La Carte before, and Dianna's method is completely a new experience for me........ I felt I struggled greatly, I seemed to keep working my own way, and my work looked like mine :confused: Ha!
but Dianna is always available for help, and with some touches and gentle smudging soon started to look like hers........ so I was more than happy :smug:
Told her she was good, and should take it up as a profession :lol:
I think I can safely say, we all seemed to struggle somewhat, and I think Dianna was quite surprised, she had expected us to finish alot sooner, but we had lost half a day within the Museum tour as well - though some how Johnathan managed to paint a minimum of 3 paintings!!!! :eek: Dianna had agreed that we had chosen a very difficult image to recreate - but I think we all got there, though there was a mad panic to finish lol - we were all pleased with the end results

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/12116-All.jpg

Theres me......... down the bottom :wave:

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Ohhhh and another thing I was delighted with........ she inspected my Greens........ and came to the conclusion............ they were AWFUL :D

........ all but two were blue greens, and she said needed more yellow greens....... strangely enough, comparing what I had with Deirdre's, we had the same :eek:

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Over to you now Deirdre

eyeinthesky
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Dawn, it was a really amazing experience to learn from Dianna, and to meet everyone. Now that I have, I will be able to "see" your faces when I read your threads. I have been shopping today, and got a battery sharpener, not like Dianna's, but it seems to work ok, got a taller easel and some unison darks. Now all I have to do is remember everything Dianna said!
Dave

Kathryn Wilson
05-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for posting this Dawn - it's always fun to put faces to names we see in the forum. It is especially fun to see Dianna developing a painting and all the finished painting you did.

Dawn, awful greens??? At least now you know it isn't you - and you know what ones you need to add - :)

Tell us about that super dooper sharpener!!!!

*Deirdre*
05-18-2006, 03:32 PM
OOOOooooo! :p I had more yellow greens than you:lol: ....but she did say mine were awful too! :eek: :eek: :eek: Personally...I feel that if we had kept our greens separate...the blue/greens would not have made so many of them look the same colour!:p I'm going to separate mine more...like the colour wheel! You know...yellow-greens, blue-green/reddish-blues, greenish-blues etc, will need lots more trays though!
This picture captured Marina's flower too!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5170016.JPG

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey Dave

good to "see" you ........ I recognised Dave straight away in the street from his tiny head :), not literally of course lol......

Lol Kat, yes indeed, I confess to thinking about the Greens, and NOT my fault lol - and absolutely, as to what to buy (well at least in theory), there is one leaf in the painting, and of course immediately couldnt do it :p ... two swipes of the pastel and Dianna had succeeded - it was quite a revelation for me actually, in seeing this and also seeing the portraits, how real they look, but on closer inspection, there is hardly any work or detail

...... and like Dave will try to encorporate what we learned and experienced........

as for the Sharpner..... it was a Staples Brand, of which I went into a UK branch...... they do not stock it..... nor is it online in the UK :crying: - Deirdre took the registered no. of it - and surfing around think I have found the same style...... checked on EBay and took a chance at what I saw would be the same or similiar - bought it yesterday and was delivered today!!! - on checking the number indeed it is the same....... :clap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180000204721

have just been testing it out lol........ all my pencils all nicely sharpened.... its the first sharpner that has not chewed the wood

my guess is - it seems a certain company produces it and then sells it on to other suppliers who then put their brand name on it. Dianna warned that the broken leads can get stuck - which has had happened to me twice already lol....... but just needs freeing up, and off it works again - it takes 4 batteries, which make it really fast and the wood is cut perfectly clean

Dark_Shades
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
OOOOooooo! :p I had more yellow greens than you:lol: ....

Such a show off Deirdre ....... lolol........ so I have more reason as to why my Greens were always so bad lol... on looking at mine at the time, I could perhaps spot yellow/green and blue/green...... and some were just..... well ... um ..... Green :o
(sorted!! - 3 boxes it is then :) )

*Deirdre*
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I took a picture in the garden of Gainsborough house....as there were so many greens...SOMEONE might want to practice!:evil: :p :lol: :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/33616-P5170012.JPG

LorraineG
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Dawn, :wave:

I am soooo wishing I had managed to come along to the workshop.

Everybodys paintings look wonderfull.

EmmaG
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi everybody,

Well I think I have finally recovered from the workshop, I think three days of concentrating on that painting took it all out of all of us.

It was great to meet you all and also looking at previous works, I just love Dawn's use of colours in her paintings and seeing some of her past work totally bowled me over, I also love Marina's paintings of fruit and vegetables totally amazing! It was also good especially for me (being very new to pastels) to hear all of your reports on different paper, I will definitely order some Wallis and Colourfix.

Thanks Dawn for the link to the ebay ad, I have just ordered myself a sharpener and at that price I am almost tempted to buy another!! lol

I would just like to say a big thank you to Dianna, seeing her work in the flesh was such a privilege and also meeting the lady herself :) If you ever do a workshop again in Essex/Suffolk I will be there ;)

Thanks again guys for making me feel very welcome, I had a great time and look forward to the next one ;)

Bringer
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi,

I've noticed that Dianna didn't use a stick to tap your hands:evil:

Kindest regards,

José

*Deirdre*
05-19-2006, 01:01 PM
No José...we were ALL really well behaved!:p :lol:
BTW the flower I posted below is called Cerinthe...or Honeywort...
This beautiful hardy annual has become very much in vogue in recent years. It has fleshy blue-green leaves, mottled with white, and rich purple-blue, tubular flowers held inside sea blue bracts. Bees love it and can be seen buzzing around the plants in summer. Once introduced into the garden, self-sown seedlings will mean that it rarely disappears.

Tressa
05-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Looks like you all had a great time!!!
Just on a curious note, Emma, I noticed your picture was facing opposite everyone else? Reason? :)
Tres

*Deirdre*
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Both Emma and Marina are left handed, and Dianna provided images for left handed people to work from.

Is the answer!:wink2:

Tressa
05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh cool!! I just skimmed thru the posts quickly, and I missed that!! :) Does that make it easier to learn? My son is left handed.
Thanks Deirdre!!!
Tres

*Deirdre*
05-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Yes, Dianna is right handed so she works top left to right bottom...if you see what I mean, whereas the left-handers would do the opposite if they followed the workshop through...it certainly worked for them!:D

Tressa
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Very interesting...
Thanks,
Tres

Piper Ballou
05-19-2006, 09:17 PM
thanks for posting these wonderful photos and sharing a great time with all of us. I am taking Dianna's workshop in southern California come July, I can hardly wait....and she is doing another one in southern Arizona in Sept....

piper

Dark_Shades
05-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Hi Lorraine :wave: ......... ohhh it would of been brilliant if you had been able to come too - you would of loved it for sure

lol, Deirdree....... is that a challenge :evil: ha!....... been challenged before in WC......... it was hysterical ..... an absolute brilliant thread (many moons ago)

Awwwwwww thanks Emma :wave:

.... well its official.. sometimes I thought I was, sometimes not so sure.... but Dianna confirmed it ........ Im a ... Colourist:D

*Deirdre*
05-20-2006, 06:25 AM
.... well its official.. sometimes I thought I was, sometimes not so sure.... but Dianna confirmed it ........ Im a ... Colourist:D
I would like to congratulate Dawn on coming out of the closet, or do I mean cupboard?:p :evil: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now, get back in there and produce some more colours!:wave: :lol:

Ruth Grinstead
05-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi All

Well done Dawn on tracking down the sharpener, I was too late. So I have had to console myself with buying some pastels from the States :D

What a great workshop it was, I wish I had booked a place on all the UK ones, I would have quite happily followed Dianna round all summer :thumbsup:

Ruth

Dark_Shades
05-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi All

Well done Dawn on tracking down the sharpener, I was too late. So I have had to console myself with buying some pastels from the States :D

What a great workshop it was, I wish I had booked a place on all the UK ones, I would have quite happily followed Dianna round all summer :thumbsup:

Ruth

What a great idea.......... we could always gate crash :evil:

*Deirdre*
05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Ruth....Hi!:wave: If you truly want to do some more workshops, there are a couple of spaces, especially on the one in Wales! :thumbsup: PM me, and I'll find Jean's email address and go from there!:D

Paula Ford
05-20-2006, 07:36 PM
WOW, looks like you guys had the most wonderful time!!!

Paula

jeanid
05-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi all
Just got back on to wetcanvas as we had to do a bowling comp yesterday.
Great pictures of the group,nice to meet every one.
you can pm me jeanid. so glad you all enjoyed the workshop Dianna is still traveling and not in touch as yet it all depends on the y fi for the computer.
hopfuly I can print this off She will love this thread.
See you all
Jean (jeanid)

*Marina*
05-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Finally managed to get on line. Lovely to read everybody's reactions. Not much to add. We had a great time. All very exciting. Still amazed it all worked out. Dianna who travelled all the way from Vancouver and I travelled from Holland. In fact I am still in England. It was great to see Dianna's work, amazing what she can achieve with those little pastels. It was very interesting to be able to "talk pastels" as hardly anybody in Holland works with pastels. Great to see all the different types of paper. Will start experimenting at home as Deirdre ordered some Colourfix for me.
Let's hope that the remainder of Dianna's trip in the UK will be as successful as her workshop in Sudbury. And that she has a lovely time in Cornwall and Bath.
Thanks a lot Dianna for a lovely workshop and all your great advise.
All the others happy pastelling.

Goewyn
05-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Sounds like you all had a great time!

Gearing up for Dianna's Southern CA workshop in a few months, and I'm curious as to what size La Carte paper you all used? I see it comes in 9x12" or 12x16" pads, or bigger sheets.

Thanks!

-- Linda

ponting
05-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Hello everyone

Checking in here from Worthing....flying out to Ireland in the morning so thought I should pop in and see what you are all up too. You all are far too kind. :rolleyes: :o !!

Soooo glad you found the super pencil shapener. It takes the frustration out of pencils. Now if any of you find replacement pencils for the General White or find sticks that perfectly match the Pitt black......do post them for all to see.

As far as the class being the quietest I have ever encountered.....it took me a day to realize that these were artists who are used to working alone, not communing with those around them while they toil away. I'm sure some of you found it quite different than working like you do Dawn in your own quiet space. It was probably even distracting to begin with.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have met you all face to face also. I'm a firm believer that we all should use our own likenesses as avatar's....as was said here....I recognized Dave right off as did Marina with me. I was driving around lost in Sudbury the evening before the class began looking to find the workshop space. We decided to park and spread out on foot when Marina came ups to us in the street and said "Dianna?" You could have knocked me over that someone in the middle of nowwhere whould recognize me but then DUH....I do post my photo :lol:

Thanks so much to all of you for coming, to you Dawn for your thread and Dei also for hers. I just know I will meet up with you all another time...perhaps in two years when I bring my granddaughter over. :thumbsup:

Will check in at my next internet stop.

Cheers, Dianna:wave:

Khadres
05-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Darnit, tho, that eBay link no longer shows the pencil sharpener since the auction is over. Anybody got a picture???

*Deirdre*
05-28-2006, 08:16 PM
The picture doesn't help...ours look different from Dianna's...the key thing is to ask the vendor the number underneath the sharpener...it should be 2036121...if they match, you have the right one!:wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/33616-P5280052.JPG

*Marina*
05-29-2006, 02:24 AM
The Dahle 230 looks very similar. Would not be surprised if that is the same one. I think it is also sold under the name Desq 230. Very confusing.

*Deirdre*
05-29-2006, 03:03 AM
The Dahle 230 looks very similar. Would not be surprised if that is the same one. I think it is also sold under the name Desq 230. Very confusing.
If you ask the vendor they will tell you what number, if any, it has underneath...that is the better guide as to whether the sharpener works like Dianna's.

As one who owns a red Dahl 00230...I can assure you that it is not the same as Dianna's! Those of you who tried it at the workshop will surely remember the difference between mine and Dianna's!:evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2006/33616-P5280053.jpg

*Marina*
05-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Deirdre, I did not try your sharpener at the course. I did a search on the internet and came across the Dahle 230, which seems to be called Desq now. I got the impression that there were a lot of the same sharpeners with different names but all out of the same factory.I thought it looked very similar to the one we used at the workshop. It definitely looks different from your Dahle 230. I will search around in the shops here a bit more. Anyway thanks for the warning that it might not be a good one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2006/60850-DAH33004.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Those of you who tried it at the workshop will surely remember the difference between mine and Dianna's!:evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2006/33616-P5280053.jpg

lolol :evil:

tis true....... its rubbish :( :lol:

Dark_Shades
05-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Deirdre, I did not try your sharpener at the course. I did a search on the internet and came across the Dahle 230, which seems to be called Desq now. I got the impression that there were a lot of the same sharpeners with different names but all out of the same factory.I thought it looked very similar to the one we used at the workshop. It definitely looks different from your Dahle 230. I will search around in the shops here a bit more. Anyway thanks for the warning that it might not be a good one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2006/60850-DAH33004.jpg

Marina, that indeed does look like the one Dianna had, and indeed like my own...... ask the seller from the serial number at the bottom as Deirdre suggests....... if it says 2036121 - you have the right one, here is the email address from the Seller on EBay.... perhaps he will be willing to ship to you
[email protected] if he has more

Dark_Shades
05-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Faber Castell Pitt Charcoal Soft 112992

Not all links have images.... and non state the number..... but could always email them to check - the one with pics, does look very similiar with the same colour casing

http://www.studioartshop.com/acatalog/Drawingand_Sketching.html

http://www.saa.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?prodID=FCPPCPS

http://www.heatoncooper.co.uk/page9.htm

Dark_Shades
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Generals White Charcoal Pencil 558

In the USA, but has International Shipping..... perhaps we could combine and order split the costs, work out shipping.... Deirdre? - lol

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=1545

havent checked the others for shipping

http://www.shopvarneys.com/ePOS?this_category=64&store=510&form=shared3%2Fgm%2Fmain.html&design=510

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-GP-558-2BP--m-221_231.html

http://www.c2f.com/html/productlist.asp?CategoryID=P-80434

prettytulips
05-29-2006, 12:34 PM
For those of you who wish you could have time with Diana as I did, I just called my local art store and asked if I could arrange a class for Donna. I put them in contact with eachother and viola! Diana now has a workshop in southern CA in July, so now I get to learn from her. You can do the same where ever you are. Just PM Donna and ask if she is willing to go to your area, then call your local art store or school and see if they will organize something with Donna.

It's that easy:)

*Marina*
05-30-2006, 04:22 PM
I am still shopping around for this pencil sharpener. Sooz, you can find Dianna's sharpener on the staples site. It is called Staples slimline pencil sharpener.

Bringer
05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi again,

I could not imagine that Dianna's workshops could be so good.
Those sharpeners are really well painted.
They really look real ones:p :p :p

:evil: Regards,

José

*Marina*
05-30-2006, 04:37 PM
We worked hard on them, Jose :evil:

Khadres
05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I'll have to check out my local Staples store. Thanks!

ponting
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Well here I am home again...just back from California and my first chance in 2 months to get back to this thread with my many thanks:thumbsup: ..... Mostly for being such great students but also for takinig the time to post these terrific photos and comments. You're all super!! :lol:
Now, just in case you didn't get the model number of that Staples shapener (AKA DelRay) (both the same number)....here you go
Model # 42183
SKU # 10491
They last a long time but I buy them by the case of 6 for convenience sake.

I also found out in CA that Staples also sell a Panasonic (black in color) that does a great job.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

*Marina*
07-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks Dianna, I got mine from Staples Canada. Some friends sent it to me. It is a great pencil sharpener. The click eraser is also a great tool. I used it a fair bit already when messing about with a painting, which does not go the way I want it to.

ponting
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I laughed to myself when I read your reply. Not what you said but the fact that having spent time with you I now can 'hear' your reply in your lovely accent. :p

Cheers, Dianna :smug:

*Marina*
07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
:evil: :wink2:

E-J
08-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi guys ... I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but I've only just tracked it down after a break from the forums as I was curious to read about what you all got up to at Dianna's Sudbury workshop, which unfortunately I had to miss. Are there any close-ups of the work you all did? They look great from a distance, but I'm nosey and want to gawp at more detailed pics!!! :)

*Marina*
08-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi E-J, nice to "see" you here. You can enjoy our productions in this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347839.
Enjoy :) :wave:

*Deirdre*
08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
I was just going to say that (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347839&page=2&highlight=ponting) too!:evil: :lol:

nana b
08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
The picture doesn't help...ours look different from Dianna's...the key thing is to ask the vendor the number underneath the sharpener...it should be 2036121...if they match, you have the right one!:wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2006/33616-P5280052.JPG

I found the pencil sharpener and brought it home just as happy as can be:clap: . I Sharpened a few pencils and then it got jammed:envy: . How do you clean it out? My husband worked on it and he can just about fix anything :thumbsup: but he sure messed this one up.:crying: I want to go buy another one just like it but need to find out what to do when this occurs:confused: . Help please, I would love to be able to use the pastel pencils but am tired of going out and sharpening them on my husband's sander!

SOS..SOS...SOS :D Thanks, nana b

ponting
08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Nana...do you mean that a lead broke off inside? In that case you need either push regular sharpend pencil in and force it through or find yourself a sharp pointed took with which to break up the pastel. I used a thin scrimshaw tool for many years until it went lost but any thin very pointed object will work. I have even used very heavy copper wire such as you find in house wiring. Though this is a little flexible, the ideal thing is that it is soft enough not to hurt your cutters.

I should mention that you first have to take the clear plastic shavings cup off to disengage the electical contact before putting anything metal in the sharpener.

nana b
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Nana...do you mean that a lead broke off inside? In that case you need either push regular sharpend pencil in and force it through or find yourself a sharp pointed took with which to break up the pastel. I used a thin scrimshaw tool for many years until it went lost but any thin very pointed object will work. I have even used very heavy copper wire such as you find in house wiring. Though this is a little flexible, the ideal thing is that it is soft enough not to hurt your cutters.

I should mention that you first have to take the clear plastic shavings cup off to disengage the electical contact before putting anything metal in the sharpener.

Yes, Dianna the lead broke off inside and I did try to break it up with something sharp, can't remember what and it didn't clear it AND I DID'NT DISENGAGE ANY ANYTHING:eek: MY GOLLY MOLLY. COULD I HAVE BEEN HURT OR IS THAT WHAT HURTTHE SHARPENER?:rolleyes: I am not a mechanical person so stop laughing:crying:

Thankyou so much for the information, I'm going to buy another today and give it another try.

I sure wish you could come to OKC and teach a class, I'll bet there wouldn't be any trouble finding plenty interested, especially me:) Again thank you much.

nana b

ponting
08-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Hello again Nana

Here is a photo of a tool that was given to me by San Clemente Art Supplies and it works great. I have no idea what kind of packaging it was in. All I know is that it's very sharp, thin and works well for me. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2006/34523-tool.jpg

Disengaging the electrical circuit just means it won't try to eat my tool and dull the blades.

I'm sure you can find something similar in a local craft store.

Cheers, Dianna

PS....all you need to get me to Oklahoma is an invitation. ;) :wave:

nana b
08-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello again Nana

Here is a photo of a tool that was given to me by San Clemente Art Supplies and it works great. I have no idea what kind of packaging it was in. All I know is that it's very sharp, thin and works well for me. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2006/34523-tool.jpg

Disengaging the electrical circuit just means it won't try to eat my tool and dull the blades.

I'm sure you can find something similar in a local craft store.

Cheers, Dianna

PS....all you need to get me to Oklahoma is an invitation. ;) :wave:

Are you kidding about the invitation? YOU MEAN IT:eek: Let me see what do I do, do I need to go thru some art organization or what? Yip...ee. Does it matter if it is OKC or can it be in one of the surrounding cities? If you have time send me some info either here in this forum or in my Private Message. Oh by the way, thanks for the pic of the tool.:D
Will be watching for your reply:clap:

nana b