PDA

View Full Version : Flinders Range Wattle FINISHED

Susan Borgas
05-18-2006, 04:36 AM
60 x 47 cm
Storm Blue Colourfix paper

Boy oh boy is this one going to give me a headache. It has taken me ages to draw it up and now that I can see it on my monitor I realized I still haven’t drawn the kettle correctly near the handle on the left hand side. Even the simple book took me time to get the perspective right……well I hope it is right.

For those that don’t know my work, this is a first for me painting a still life as large as this. I have completed small drawings with graphite pencils and even post card size watercolours but NEVER anything like this. It is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

I am limited with what objects I could use but it is the wattle in my garden that has inspired me to give it a go.

Cheers, Susan :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle_Still_Life_500pix.jpg

Tressa
05-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Have a go Susan!! Will be watching!!! :D
Tres

Bhavana Vijay
05-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Very exciting!! I am pulling up a chair!!:)

meowmeow
05-18-2006, 10:29 AM
This will be fun to watch develop....I'm sure you'll iron out any kinks.

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
05-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Pass the popcorn and move over Bhavana - I am watching this one too!

Good on you that you are trying something new - and I love the storm blue paper for this one.

What is a wattle?

Merethe T
05-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Oh, a still life from you, this will be good! I wanna watch too, any popcorn left?? ;) The drawing look good from what I can see.....

*Violet*
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
joining the crowd ... 8v)

Khadres
05-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm with Kat...what's a wattle??? Over here, a wattle is what they call the hangy downy thingy on roosters and turkeys chins....doesn't look at ALL like what you have sketched there!:confused:

Anyway, I'm along for the ride, too!

Deborah Secor
05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
I looked it up:

Botany. Any of various Australian trees or shrubs of the genus Acacia. As usual, a common language that divides us... :D

Susan, can't wait to see the rest. Started to ask how big--ran to the conversion table--about 18x24"! Yep, that is pretty big! Have fun.

Deborah

Susan Borgas
05-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Golly Gosh, so much interest already :eek:. Bet those two words "still life" did it :evil: :lol:

Botany. Any of various Australian trees or shrubs of the genus Acacia. As usual, a common language that divides us :D Thanks Deborah :thumbsup:

There will be an update later today. :wave:

Susan Borgas
05-19-2006, 03:09 AM
I am sort of happy with this though struggling with the background. I am after a textured sponged on hue over the top of a contrasting colour that is popular in some homes rather than something flat. I originally had a purple and blue mix for the background and it glared at me so much I felt like hiding under a bed. The pastel I brushed off will make a lovely new stick so no loss there.

I think what I will do now is work on the flowers and foliage and see how that affects the background.

I am open to suggestions as I feel I am heading up the creek without a paddle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle2_500pix.jpg

*Violet*
05-19-2006, 03:52 AM
coming along very nicely! ... it will be a great piece i'm sure ... the base of the vase, tho is off a bit to the right but i'm sure you'd see that yourself as you develop this painting ... it's interesting that you're including the highlights this early or is this an approach that is often taken?

prettytulips
05-19-2006, 05:59 AM
That shadow behind the vase on the left.. I keep thinking that is a shadow from the light in your room, that something is cast on your picture. Did you paint that in? It looks real.

I'm also wondering about the highlights first. Do you have a photo?

satheesh
05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This is coming along very nicely. love the way the BG is shaping up! The vase looks glass already!

Mike_Beeman
05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Being up a creek without a paddle is a lot of un...I know because I lost my paddles years ago!! This is really shaping up!! Mike

*Deirdre*
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Susan...this is looking good! Mind if I sit awhile and watch? I brought some more popcorn!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2006/33616-55161-34523-popcorn.gif

Dark_Shades
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
How great, I dont recall seeing any works of yours other than landscapes..... so this is going to be a treat
....... Share some of that popcorn Deirdre...... hope its Toffee flavoured

Kathryn Day
05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I like the thought of just indicating where your highlights will be, I can see how that might save headaches later. I remember a painting I did that I got some dark pastel where light should go and then I could never get it as light as it needed to be, even after brushing out the pastel, the stain was too dark. It is looking great so far. I have no doubts you will make a wonderful painting.

Susan Borgas
05-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Violet, I will check the base of the vase as it isn’t impossible for the layers of pastel to stray over my drawing. Placing the highlights in first is something I have done for some time. I actually was impressed with what I saw seeing an artist doing the same and adopted it. I find it excellent when painting Plein Air as well as it establishes the light source very early on. Of cause I place the shadows in quickly as well as the sun seems to move faster when I am painting. :rolleyes:

Prettytulips, the drawing was done with a spot light from the right hand side. I was looking for cast shadows to bring together all the items. I have never set up a still life before so hope that I have the eye traveling around the work in a manner that isn’t confusing. I will post a photo tomorrow of how I set up my still life. It is rather unsophisticated how I have put it together and the wattle is rather sad to look at now but it will give you a general idea of things.

Satheesh, I am dreading the vase. The glass has so many vertical shapes to it with the odd bulge from the sides that it is going to take me ages to do.

Mike, Thank you that makes me feel much better.:lol:

Deirdre, my tummy is starting to growl here, mind if I have some of that popcorn. :D

Dawn, it is a first for me…….. oh toffee flavoured…..yum!!! :D

Kathy, you are right as I have found the same thing, the highlights seem so much better if applied first.:thumbsup:

As you can see I have worked on the wattle quite a bit. It isn’t finished as I found myself moving on from the flowers and foliage to the cream table cloth. Funny that as I don’t even remember that happening until I stopped for a cup of coffee.

I can already hear Deborah (Dee) commenting about the two similar shaped wattle on the left hand side of the table. I will fix that yet. :evil: I often do it and bust if I know why. :confused:

Catch you all soon, Susan :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle3_500pix.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
05-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I love your colors - the yellows really pop off that back wall. Can't wait to see more!

Tressa
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
The flowers remind me of some little wild ones my son picked for me in a field! Looking very nice Susan, still watching!!
Tres

sassybird
05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
For someone that doesn't work large you are doing a fab job of this. I love the colors in the background that makes the rest of the painting pop, giving dimension to your work. Good job:)

Bhavana Vijay
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow, the flowers seem to some alive and spring out of the painting! Putting in the lights first seems like a wonderful idea.

Bringer
05-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Wow, the flowers seem to some alive and spring out of the painting! Putting in the lights first seems like a wonderful idea.

Hi Bhavi,

If I'm not wrong, what Susan did was to put the darkest and lightest values first. This way she'll have a better guidance to the rest of the values.
Or maybe I'm totally mistaken:rolleyes:

Susan, this is looking really promissing.
I thought that you could only paint landscapes and sheeps:p

Kindest regards,

José

Mikki Petersen
05-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Susan, this is looking very good already. I don't think the two wattles on the left are too much alike, the size and shape being quite different enough to create interest. As for the shrubbery emmanating from that vase, it is positively 3-D! Great background too. Keep going, I can't wait to see where you take this one.

Somehow, I always thought you worked on larger scale. Your landscapes just feel big to me I guess.

Mikki

Susan Borgas
05-21-2006, 02:08 AM
I think I may have confused everyone when I wrote

For those that don’t know my work, this is a first for me painting a still life as large as this. I have completed small drawings with graphite pencils and even post card size watercolours but NEVER anything like this. It is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

I have painted large landscapes but not a Still Life….. sorry about that.:o

Many thanks to you all :)

José, you are correct. I do find it much easier to work this way.

Mikki one bunch of that wattle will have a stem and odd leaf, which I think will improve the way they look. I do need something there to break up the edge of the table but subtle at the same time. As you can see in the photo my table isn’t as wide as the one in my painting. Bit of artist license happening as I didn’t want the wattles slap bang in the middle of the scene.

Right here goes; I will now explain the whys of this setup, as sad as it is from the flowers sitting for so long.

In the photo you will see I have fabric as a background drop but not in the painting. The reason is I wanted a darker wall than what I had to work with. I didn’t want a fabric backdrop in the painting.

My inspiration of the still life is to portray that someone has just finished putting the flowers in the vase and yet to clean up the bits and pieces of fallout from the plant. In other words an informal setting.

The needlework flowers will not be part of this painting.

What did take me by surprise was the time it took me to set this scene up. It was very time consuming. At one point I had the vase and kettle kissing. Another time a passage of light looked wrong and so on. Maybe with more experience I may get quicker or perhaps it is part of the Still Life process. Either way I feel very motivated, though that vase has me nervous :rolleyes: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2006/13752-Setup_Photo.jpg

sweetapplez
05-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Hope you don't mind if I join you too. This is really coming along. Lovely flowers and they work so well with your B/G.
Trish

Susan Borgas
05-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Trish it is great to have you on board :)

I had a chance today to do a bit of work on the vase though not as much as I would have liked. The vase isn’t finished but quite happy with the direction it is going. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle4_500pix.jpg

Tressa
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Looking great Susan, still watching!! :)
Tres

satheesh
05-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Nice! What pastels are you using?

*Violet*
05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
everything is going in a great direction! ... even the vase tho it's still unbalanced ... imagine a line going straight up from each edge of the bottom of the vase and you'll see that where it intersects with the top shows how *off* it is yet .... with that corrected it will improve the composition muchly ... the end result will be an exquisite painting for sure ...

Susan Borgas
05-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks Tres and Satheesh :)

I am using AS, WN and Unison. Also using my own sticks made up from scraps of pastel and dust.

Susan Borgas
05-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Violet I didn't see your post, sorry about that.

This one has certainly tested my drawing skills :D. There is a small amount of foliage yet to come over the edge of the top of the vase on the left hand side yet, hence haven’t paid a lot attention to that area. I am watching the base pretty well though as I have redone that area a couple of times already to get the sides the same…… and still not happy with it yet.

It is good to have some sharp eyes checking these things to keep me honest. ;)

Susan Borgas
05-23-2006, 04:10 AM
Remind me never to use this vase again!!!! :mad:

I should have taken more care that the bumpy part of the vase was exactly the same on both sides when setting up the still life. The bubble shapes are "poking out" more on the left side of the vase which looks odder in the image on my monitor than when I am actually standing in front of the work. Maybe a bit of artist license will be considered here yet to flatten the bumps slightly.:)

I worked some foliage and stems in and around the flowers. Once the rest of the painting is caught up, I may revisit this area again.

The book is nearly finished though yet to work on the wattle, stem and leaves that are sitting on top of it.
:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle5_500pix.jpg

TFB
05-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow!! You are going well. Good to see you doing a still life. Can see you have been having problems with vase, but sure you will solve it. Still lifes take me ages to set up too.
Will keep watching your progress.
T

Merethe T
05-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Doing great Susan,real good! Love the yellow flowers, they really do pop out from the dark BG. The glass is coming along too, you'll get there I'm sure...I wish I could have a closer look at that part, from this image the highlights dominate, but the upper part of the glass is looking good to me, with the stems and all...

Can't wait to see how it look when the copper is done, bet that'll look great,and it'll balance the piece beautifully....keep moving...!:evil: :D

bjcpaints
05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Susan,
This is really looking wonderful! Very inspiring!:clap: :clap: :clap: Cheering you on!
Barbara

Doodlebug1967
05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm with Barbara....very inspiring! I can't wait to see the finished piece. It's beautiful already.

Ronda

Susan Borgas
05-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Thank you everyone. :) I will post a close up of the vase tomorrow. I would like to sort the uneven sides out before doing so. That way you all can tell me what else needs doing with it then. :p :angel:

I ended up making a plum line up using Blu Tak and cotton to sort out the problem with the vase being unbalanced. Now that is something I should have done straight away as I now can see where the problems are.

The copper will be the “icing on the cake” and quite looking forward to doing it…..BUT…..:evil: .... I am going to have little time to paint in the next few days as I have office jobs :crying: and family commitments :heart: that will take my time away from the studio.:lol:

After working on the painting today I noticed I have two items kissing each other. The leaf on the wattle to the far left needs to be taken further up into the background. The other “kissing spot” is the foliage of the lavender, which needs to be taken up higher in front of the book. I will fix that up tomorrow along with the vase.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle6_500pix.jpg

maddy777
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Looking fab Susan :) Can't wait to see the kettle finished!

meowmeow
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Haven't looked in a couple of days...wowee! This is coming along gorgeously Susan. Yummy...sort of an interior landscape!

Sandy

Fingerpaint
05-24-2006, 04:33 PM
It's looking great, I love the dark/light contrast. Is it going to be a copper kettle?

Bhavana Vijay
05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh yes, i cant wait for the kettle too!!!:D LOVE everything so far.

Bringer
05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi,

A good player, plays well in several positions.
In your case, you seem to play well in several themes.
You can bet that I'll be picky, because I'll have to demand the best from an artist with your quality.

Kindest regards,

José

Susan Borgas
05-25-2006, 03:33 AM
There isn’t going to be an update of my WIP as there just isn’t enough hours in my day today and I don't want to mess things up further when fixing the vase.

Maddy, kettle will a few days off yet due to other commitments.

Sandy, the funny thing is I keep thinking of it as a landscape. Give me a tree trunk over a vase though.:lol:

Fingerpaint, yes it is a copper kettle.

Bhavana, The kettle hopefully will be a lot of fun to paint.

José, thank you. I expect nothing less from you and hope that everyone else will be just as picky.

LEIGH RUST
05-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Susan, just stopped in to see how this is progressing. I love it! I agree that the vase needs a bit more work to get it looking right but you've nailed the wattle! It's breathtaking. Best wishes with the next steps and I'll drop back soon.

*Deirdre*
05-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Remind me never to use this vase again!!!! :mad:

I should have taken more care that the bumpy part of the vase was exactly the same on both sides when setting up the still life.
Tip....via Dianna Ponting's workshop....when working on a shape like that work over any intrusion, such as stems....or even a kettle spout....you can always erase them out afterwards then go on to complete them...
You're doing a grand job! I'll be back to see the glorious finalé!

Susan Borgas
05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Leigh, thank you :)

Deirdre, thank you for the tip a I do want to do more still lifes. I just love it!!!

eyeinthesky
05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Susan, this is fabulous! Can't wait to see the finish.
Dave

Merriel
05-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Susan: This is coming along nicely. Beautiful colors and subject.

Leirrem

chewie
05-26-2006, 06:06 PM
yes, this is coming along sooo well. another way to fix a lopsided thing like a vase (which i don't think this is that bad!) is to decide which side is the better--and using tracing paper, trace it out. then, turn it around, putting it against the 'bad' side to see where you may be off. of course, this only works with items that really are the exact same on each side!

but wow, you've got little worry here, this is gonna be great!

Susan Borgas
05-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Dave & Leirrem, thank you.
Chewie, thanks I will file that hint away in the back of my mind, it is a good one!

The “kissing leaves to other objects now have been sorted out.

The vase also now is looking much better. I feel I know this item intimately now and don’t have any qualms in using it again in a future still life.

There is a very thin layer of pastel on the kettle handle and knob. Until I make sure that the drawing is correct in this area I will not go heavy with pastel application.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle7_500pix.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2006/13752-Close_up_of_Vase.jpg

*Violet*
05-30-2006, 03:18 AM
excellent ... 8v)

Tressa
05-30-2006, 08:08 AM
YAY! Susan, is coming along beautifully!!!:clap:
Tres

LEIGH RUST
05-30-2006, 09:42 AM
This is looking wonderful Susan, still watching!

Kathryn Wilson
05-30-2006, 10:37 AM
This is looking absolutely wonderful - I know when you put in that copper kettle it will be a smashing painting!

I know that you are probably tired of hearing about the vase - and seeing the close-up now, I do see a couple of places that could be tweaked and then it will be perfect.

The waterline at the time is just slightly off on the left side - just very slightly, but those little things can create an illusion that everything is off. (looking at it again, the waterline just needs to be evened up - whichever side you choose to fix)

I also see on "bump" on the left side that could come out just a smidgen - it is half-way down the left side of the vase. The vase still looks slightly uneven on that side and, yes, you need to take artistic license to fix that area so that you create the illusion of it being even to the right side.

These little tweaks could be left for another time - they certainly are important, but not to the whole of the painting right now.

Charge on!

Bhavana Vijay
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh my, that handle!! Its just wonderful Susan!!Still watching,:)

Susan Borgas
05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you everyone. I am starting to feel as if I have been painting this still life forever.

Thanks Kat I am glad you commented on the vase. This afternoon I will adjust those things you have mentioned then move onto the kettle. There should be another posting later this afternoon.

M Douglas
05-31-2006, 02:57 AM
OMG I can't believe i've missed this one. Susan it's fantastic, well worth the effort. Thanks for sharing.

Melodie

Susan Borgas
05-31-2006, 03:51 AM
Melodie, thank you.

I think I now have the water line level correct now and the bumps on the left hand side have also been nipped back.

The copper kettle is now well on the way. There will be more shaping done yet with tonal values. The edges are to be tidied up and the perspective checked.

I have never painted shiny metal before and finding it very interesting to implement.

I am still looking for those extra eyes to keep me on the straight and narrow ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle8_500pix.jpg

LEIGH RUST
05-31-2006, 08:10 AM
It's looking great but can I get a closeup of the kettle? In this image I'm just seeing somehing that seems a touch off. The curves might need tweaking a little bit. I think the base is right but may need a little rounding. The actual finish is fantastic!

*Deirdre*
05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Fabulous painting...but I agree with Leigh...the base is a bit flat...with an elipse the base would have more curve, nearer the top would be flatter. Also, I think the area above the spout is higher than the other side...
Overall though, a brilliant finish!:clap:

meowmeow
05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Considering how well you have done with the vase and water line I have no doubt you will fix up those curves! But boy, it's hard to believe you have not done copper before...you are doing a beautiful job on it. The painting is just lovely!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
05-31-2006, 10:42 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: The vase looks much more balanced now.

Looking forward to the finish on this painting - it gonna be a winner.

Artaholic
06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Well , I'm late getting to this but it is beautiful .what fun watching this develop :) :clap:

Susan Borgas
06-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks guys, you all are the best!!! :clap: :clap:
Leigh I have a close up for you though some work has been done on it since yesterdays posting.
Sandy I had been worrying about the kettle because it is so new to me. Think that is why I left it last.

Spent a lot of time sorting out the kettle and can’t believe how long it has taken me to do it today. I can still see that the base is a bit off on the left hand side as it protrudes more than the other side. I will fix that tomorrow. The sides of the handle are not finished though the porcelain part is just about done. The image is showing it as white although I have used quite a bit of the Australian Grey in it. Also some blue shading along with a bit of Burnt Sienna for the reflective lights that are bouncing up from the bottom onto the handle. The copper sides of the handle will not be matching as the poor kettle has seen better days. If it looks weird, then I will redo it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle9_500pix.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/13752-Kettel.jpg

Dark_Shades
06-01-2006, 08:14 AM
oh WOW..... I saw this come back up to the top of the threads..... Ive been busy else where and will have to go back to where I had got to.... but just wanted to jump right in with my WOWOWOW's ........ this is stupendous

Wonderful........ I cant believe you havent done more before ....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tressa
06-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Susan, the colors are right on!! I have an old kettle just like this, and the handles are much darker..The copper patina comes across very well!!!
Great job,outstanding!!, and these little minor fixes you are working on will be taken care of in your ususal fabulous manor!!! Bravo!!!!:clap: :thumbsup:
Tres

Susan Borgas
06-02-2006, 04:08 AM
I think this is finished now although still happy to make adjustments to improve on it.

I would like to say a few things about what I have learnt while working on this painting

Make sure the drawing is correct before applying your choice of medium or there is more work to do during the painting correcting it. I put my hand up to my drawing not correct when I started this project. :rolleyes:
Don’t be frightened to ask for help and do some research on how to draw/paint props of your choice.
I found I was constantly squinting to see the tonal values, more so than when I am painting a landscape.
A still life ain’t easy to do!!! :p :D
A feeling of immense achievement once done; might be because it is something new that I have tried.

I am convinced it will get easier with practice and do plan on doing more. Testament to my recently purchased fabrics for back drops and so forth are sitting in my studio.

My husband is going to make a tall table to hold a still life. I need to do a bit more research before it is made. The table will also hold a still life stage that can be dismantled for storage. He has ideas how to make it out of foam core with corner brackets that will connect it together, simple he says:heart:. I will post it once it is ready to use so that you can see what it consists of.

So here ya go........ please, I am still open to anything that needs fixing :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle10_500pix.jpg

Susan Borgas
06-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Oops, Dawn and Tres..... Mwah to you both :wave:

satheesh
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Wow!! Amazing!! Love the shadows. The handle of the kettle is perfect.

Bhavana Vijay
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
WOW!!! I dont know what else to say...i love your work Susan!!! Another piece to keep staring at.
That kettle, gosh...thanks again for the close up!! Its stunning.

scall0way
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow, I'm coming in on the tail-end of this, but it's worth it! I love this picture, and having no patience I would have hated having to wait to see this develop, :lol:. So glad I get to see so much at once! Lovely job, and I love the copper kettle.

I'm especially impressed by the wattle though. I have absolutely no patience at all for trying to lots of tiny blossoms like that.

*Marina*
06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Fantastic Susan, particularly the kettle, how do you do it :) :clap: :thumbsup:

Artaholic
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Lovely, nice reflections of the tea pot in the vase:clap: :clap: right now reflectoins are my nemises:D

*Violet*
06-02-2006, 03:05 PM
stunning!! ... you worked very diligently and the results speak for that ... paid out in spades ... you've a masterpiece here ... congratulations !! ... you've exhibited skill, ability, and patience

Dark_Shades
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Dang....... still not had time to go back and read from where I last got to, but wanted to have another peek at this glorious picture..
Just a thought, do you think perhaps may be the handle is just a touch too white?

I just adore the set up and display.......... Pretty as a picture :D ........... those flowers and vase are so beautifully done..... (any chance of a close up on the flowers)...... or even a quicky WIP how you did them... and you did such a wonderful job on the copper too.......

absolutely super job

eyeinthesky
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Simply breathtaking!!!
Dave

Merriel
06-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Susan: This is wonderful!!

Leirrem

LEIGH RUST
06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Brilliant Susan, absolutely brilliant! All the hard work has paid off. This is a masterpiece in my book. I LOVE the wattle!!

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Brilliant - your patience paid off!

sassybird
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
You have such wonderful detail in this piece. The kettle and vase are great, and the flowers are beautiful. I like how you took one little flower and placed it on the book.

Susan Borgas
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Gosh thank you everybody. I am stoked that this work turned out as it did. I now need to paint a landscape to recover.:rolleyes: :lol:

Dawn I hosted a meeting here yesterday with a group of artist that I am a member of.

There is one particular man in this group who has had many years of experience with still life and asked him to critique my work. I did wonder about the porcelain handle even though in the painting it isn’t as white as the image you guys see. He did say he would like to see more colour in it so I thank you Dawn & Tres (sorry if I have missed someone) for your observation and bringing it to my attention.
Also he said he would like to see some shadow on the table cloth on the right hand side to take away the sharp edge of the table against the background colour. I will experiment and see what I can come up with.

The group loved the wattle so you all are not alone there. Honestly the wattle is sooooo easy to do. From memory for the blooms I think about three tones of “yellow” where used, one of the yellow being more on the cool side while the rest were warm. Some of the copper colour was sneaked in as well. The Colourfast paper made it easy to have broken edges around the rubbed on circles. I didn’t touch the flowers at all with my fingers.

I will post again once I have made the adjustments. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/13752-Wattle_closeup.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/13752-Wattle_closeup2.jpg

Susan Borgas
06-08-2006, 03:28 AM
Using Art Spectrum Blue Grey I very gently scraped some colour on the porcelain handle and knob of the lid and now “fits” much better with the rest of scene. I just wish it would show up on the image that I am posting but instead you will have to take my word for it. :p

It was suggested to me that I put some shadow on the table cloth on the right hand side to take away the sharp edge. I did this and promptly brushed it off again. It didn’t do anything for me as I felt that I couldn’t justify why that shadow was there plus I personally liked this area as a restful part of the painting. What I ended up doing was blunt the sharp edge off by lightly blending some of the colour from the table into the wall and vice versa. I also added a gentle rise in the fabric as if the cloth had been disturbed and made untidy at some stage.

On the left of the table I did add some shadow against the wall plus a few faint light areas on the wall near the table. I also blurred the edge of the table in the same way as the right hand side.

Even though the adjustments are minor they still make a big difference with the final end of the work.

I would like to thank you for your patience; this long drawn out WIP is now signed and finished. My brain (right side of cause ;) ) is already working on a new painting and there will be no further revisiting of this one.

Cheers!!!! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/13752-Flinders_Range_Wattle_Still_Life_Final_500pix.jpg

Merethe T
06-08-2006, 04:22 PM
WOW!! Turned out gorgeous!!! The kettle is just perfect, love how you did the copper. Can't believe this is your first still life, look like you've done nothing else, brilliant work....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Have learned a thing or two from this WIP too, been great to watch your progress - thank you!!

Bringer
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi Susan,

There are many great things to say about this work.
But I'll just point out one that I think it's very important.
And that's the way you managed to transmit the roundness of the objects.
It really feels that there's the other side of the jar and the kettle, and without it, it wouldn't have the same quality.
Besides we all know how we get in doubt about elipses; at least I do.

Best regards,

José

*Violet*
06-08-2006, 05:56 PM
in my opinion, it rivals the masters' work !!! ... congrats!!

LEIGH RUST
06-08-2006, 08:36 PM
This is sensational Susan! Brilliant job!

Nancy Leone
06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
What'll I say? Your wattle is wonderful.

Susan Borgas
06-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Thank you everybody. I think having you all looking over my shoulder through cyber space pushed me to succeed.

Merethe painting this still life has certainly boosted my confidence a lot to try more.
José, thank you, your words mean a lot to me.
8v, you have put a big smile on my face (my husband just ask what was I smiling about :D). I am not that good but I thank you for what you have said.
Leigh, many thanks, it is good to have you on my journey
Nancy, thank you, the wattle was a lot of fun to paint.

Tressa
06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Susan, you have done a fantastic job, and a wonderful finish!!! A very wistful vintage look!! :)
Tres

Bill Foehringer
06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
This is a real winner. The still-life bar is set pretty darn high and you cleared it easily. BillF

Susan Borgas
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Tres, I think I will be spending more time in antique shops when I get a chance now looking for special items along the theme of a vintage/old world look. I already have an assortment of doilies given to me since starting on this still life. Some of them are extremely old.

Bill, I am an admirer of your own work so your words mean a lot to me.

Adriana Meiss
06-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Susan,
I love the wattle. You really made it look 3-dimensional. Thank you for keeping us posted of your progress. I've learned a lot seeing how you work.
Adriana

Tressa
06-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Susan, make sure you visit the thrift and junk shops, as you can find really great buys on things that are chipped or dented, but make Fabulous painting props!! :thumbsup: Tres

Holley
06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
WOW Susan, this is fantastic!!! I think your pastel skills are just superb. I like everything about it, it is very well done!

CindyW
06-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Beautiful work, Susan! Bravo to you!
I keep going back to look at this!!
Cindy

Susan Borgas
06-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Sorry everyone with my replies, life has been busy here on the farm!

make sure you visit the thrift and junk shops

Tres you are right! Soon as I read your comment I already had one particular disposal store in Adelaide pop into my head. I have lots of family that live in the city and sure they will also know of others…….thank you! :thumbsup:

Holley and Cindy…..a big thankyou, your words are encouraging. :) :wave:

Khadres
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Gorgeous! I knew it would turn out fabulous and it did! :clap:

Susan Borgas
06-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Sooz, thank you. I wasn't feeling as cofident as you :D