PDA

View Full Version : A small piece I just completed...

Autumnwillow
05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow, this forum has gone crazy! So much going on... I'm so out of the loop. I just got a quickie calligraphy job in between murals and a pet portrait, (I hang out mostly in Decorative Arts), thought I'd share it with anyone interested. It's about 6 X 11 or so, black waterproof ink, edges were torn with my serrated breadknife (I noticed the edge looked just like those deckle edge paper tearing tools I saw in catalogs!:D ), and then I used a little brown ink on a damp paper towel to "age" the edges and a few "roll lines" here and there. I'll be mounting it on a piece of black matboard for the client, he'll be matting and framing it. C&c always welcome...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2006/64104-Carter_Calligraphy_final_rs.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2006/64104-Carter_Calligraphy_complete_closer_rs.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Michele

CPM
05-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Michele, another awesome pice from you. The lettering is fabulous, and I like the worn look. The poem is cool as well. Great job. - Chris

TessDB
05-18-2006, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=Autumnwillow] edges were torn with my serrated breadknife (I noticed the edge looked just like those deckle edge paper tearing tools I saw in catalogs!:D )[QUOTE]

Really nice, Michelle! I like how you "aged" the paper. And that tip is priceless!

I bet your client will love it.

Tess

Autumnwillow
05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Chris and Tess, glad you both like it. I'm also glad you could use my tip, Tess... Hey, what can I say, I'm a bit of a tightwad when it comes to stuff like this! The knife came from Pampered Chef, works great on bread but since I don't bake much bread these days (was on Atkins, but maybe I need to bake a loaf.... mmmmm....;) ), I sent it to my studio. Works equally well for tearing paper!

The aging thing was a bit of a trial and error (many errors), the dampened and inked paper towel worked really nicely. I did press it afterwards cause it dimpled some, which lended to the aged look, but I didn't think it would frame well. I thought of using teabags before I remembered that I had brown ink. Has anyone done that with teabags? I was a bit concerned about it affecting the paper, if not now, over time..??? Teabags are very acidic, are they not?

It's funny, I handle this piece like it's fragile, just cause it looks that way!

Thanks again for the comments,
Michele

artjunkie101
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow, very nice. Your lettering is gorgeous.

TessDB
05-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I thought of using teabags before I remembered that I had brown ink. Has anyone done that with teabags? I was a bit concerned about it affecting the paper, if not now, over time..??? Teabags are very acidic, are they not?

Yeah, they are. I have no idea what they'd do to the paper. But what about kool-aid? Seriously. My step-mom quilts & dyes her own fabric/batik using kool-aid & the microwave. Might be worth a google search to see if it would work on paper... Just think of all the pretty colors!

My question: did you age the paper before you did the calligraphy or vice versa?

Tess

Autumnwillow
05-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Interesting idea, Tess... makes me wonder what Kool aid does to our stomachs if it can permanently dye fabric... :eek:

The ink worked nicely, I have no issues with it, but I was curious about the teabag idea, if I'm ever without brown ink. I spose I worry, cause we're sure to use acid-free paper, so it seems like an acidic teabag would be counterproductive. I did the calligraphy first, but I was sure to use waterproof ink. I figured if I did the calligraphy after the aging it might be hard to get the lettering straight, so I did the lettering fist using the lightbox, and then tore the 2 sides, and finally did the aging. Yes, I messed one up cause I went over the lettering with a little too strong a swipe and even though waterproof, it still smudged it some. That's how I learned to dab instead of wipe..;)

TessDB
05-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Interesting idea, Tess... makes me wonder what Kool aid does to our stomachs if it can permanently dye fabric... :eek:

Don't think about it too much... Ever notice that there are generations of children now that identify a flavor as a color? Ask my son what flavor of popsicle he wants & he'll say "purple." :cool:

Thanks for the further info on how you used the ink. It turned out really really well!

Tess

juneto
05-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Aoesome Work ! Gorgeous Printing !
June:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
05-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Lovely, lovely work Michele:clap: :clap:

DBSullivan
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi Michele,

I'm not much into calligraphy (I actually lurk here to see the cool knotwork designs and tessellations :D ), but I just had to stop and comment on this one.

Very, very nice!!! :thumbsup:

Merry Scribe
05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Beuatifully done Michele I like the hand you use.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brian:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
05-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Wow, this forum has gone crazy! So much going on... I'm so out of the loop. I just got a quickie calligraphy job in between murals and a pet portrait, (I hang out mostly in Decorative Arts), thought I'd share it with anyone interested. It's about 6 X 11 or so, black waterproof ink, edges were torn with my serrated breadknife (I noticed the edge looked just like those deckle edge paper tearing tools I saw in catalogs!:D ), and then I used a little brown ink on a damp paper towel to "age" the edges and a few "roll lines" here and there. I'll be mounting it on a piece of black matboard for the client, he'll be matting and framing it. C&c always welcome...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2006/64104-Carter_Calligraphy_final_rs.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2006/64104-Carter_Calligraphy_complete_closer_rs.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Michele

Michele is this parchment or vellium?

Brian:wave: :D

Autumnwillow
05-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments, I'm so grateful you took the time to post, it means a lot to me. This is pretty much the hand I use the most, just because it's simple and most people seem to really like it. I need to experiment more, I'm actually partial to the more gothic styles.

Brian, it's neither, at least not technically. It's not "true" parchment, just that regular "Calligraphic Parchment" you can get at any art supply store. I've heard that true parchment is very difficult to work with, so I shamefully must admit I never have :o. But that was the look I was going for, the client wanted it to look like old parchment.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment, you've made my day!

Michele

2bears
05-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Your work is very beautiful. I am certain the final recipient will be very touched

panny_mouse
05-10-2007, 02:27 AM
:eek: oh Michele, I had no idea you did caligraphy! Your work is quite lovely.:clap: I'm impressed, once again.

this is me from Decorative Arts.