PDA

View Full Version : Painter help, P8 brushes

fugitive
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I got one of the fine art brushes to work by just putting one into my oil folder, now I'm ready to try some more that way. Qs; this set has tonns of pics, how to install them, in the same place as the others, at the beginning of the folders? It gets confusing to me with so many, do I even need them, are not hte .xml files enoughj?

Elvira
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
You need the pictures because they are captured dabs. I just instal the library and then load it, for ease of use I then create a custom palette where I put the ones I use that way i don't have to load the library every time it loads when I click the brush I need.
Edie

fugitive
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
no help to me, as I didn't ask how you did it, but where to put the pictures; exactly, I got one xml to work by throwing it in with the regular oils, so I guess I can do that again. Thanks.

Smokin
05-16-2006, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317002
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319191
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320900

Not sure what you are tring to do exactly. Have a custom set of brushes installed into your default brushes sets?

Jin
05-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Smokin,

Thanks for offering the links, but John Derry's tutorials, the ones for which you provided the links, are written for Painter IX and include a lot of information not pertinent to Painter 8 which is what Greg's using.

It may just confuse him more and the procedure is very simple for Painter 8 (compared to Painter IX with it's two locations for brush folders and files).

Greg,

If you downloaded Chris Cimonetti's Fine Art 2 brush library from my site, there are written and illustrated instructions right there on the same page, below the Chris Cimonetti's Fine Art 2 demo image and download link:

Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Custom Brushes at PixelAlley (http://www.pixelalley.com/Painter7/painter6and7_brushes.html)

fugitive
05-18-2006, 09:25 PM
and that didn't work for me. I did install one or 2 single brushes and they worked, but in reviewing his fa2 brushes, there are many jpgs, just want to know where to put them, one at a time, as loading the whole thing, crashed painter. So, I just want to go slow, and caucious. TIA Jin.

Elvira
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. I have the FA2 folder in the PainterBrush folder and only the Fine Art2.jpg outside of the Fine Art 2 folder and in the Painter brush folder, the other jpgs remain in the folder with the brushes they work with.
It seems that you would like to take individual brushes and move them to folder of your choice, I suspect this may work as long as you keep the jpg of the same name with each xml file. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work or not, but it may be worth a try. The Fine Art 2 jpg isn't a brush itself, it is the folder identifier, the rest of the jpgs are brushes.

Jin may have a better way of explaining this.
Edie

Jin
05-19-2006, 09:18 AM
The 30 x 30 pixel JPG with the same name as the brush category folder is the JPG brush category icon image file and it must remain in the brush library folder with the brush category folder.

Inside the brush category folder are the XML brush variant files and for some of them there are JPG files (varying pixel dimensions) with the same names as their associated XML brush variant files.

These JPG files are not brushes. They are image files used to define the brush dab shape for Captured Dab brush variants.

They are JPG Captured Dab image files.

Both the Captured Dab XML brush variant files and their associated JPG Captured Dab image files must remain together in the brush category folder. You'll be able to tell what files are Captured Dab variants and which two file pairs are associated because they'll have the same file names. For instance:

DRY FAN.XML (Captured Dab brush variant file)
DRY FAN.JPG (JPG Captured Dab image file)

RND O Split Bristles.XML (Captured Dab brush variant file)
RND O Split Bristles.JPG (JPG Captured Dab image file)

Not all of the brush variants in the Fine Art 2 brush library are Captured Dab brush variants so those that are not, won't have an associated JPG Captured Dab image file. For instance:

Sketch Fast.XML
Sketch Slow.XML

The best way to use Chris Cimonetti's Fine Art 2 brush library is just to place it in the following folder on your hard drive, for whichever of these Painter versions you're using:

Painter 7 > Brushes

Corel > Corel Painter 8 > Brushes

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes

It's not a good idea to break up this collection of brush varients and try to place them in another brush library as that can leave too much room for getting it messed up if you don't thoroughly understand Painter brush management.

Placing the Fine Art 2 brush category folder in the default Painter Brushes brush library is also not a good idea because the default Painter Brushes brush library is already very large and the Fine Art 2 brush category is large just on its own.

If a brush library becomes too large, it can slow down Painter's performance, or worse.

Again, just extract the ZIP file directly into the appropriate folder for your Painter version:

Painter 7 > Brushes

Corel > Corel Painter 8 > Brushes

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes