GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Dance
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Sculpture
Surface: Other
Dimension: 13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This sculpture is named "The Dance". It is my first attempt using Winterstone as a sculpting media.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Specifically I would like your critiques on three areas using the guidelines below for: Technique, Form and Content.

Technique
Technique is the combination of physical ability and use of tools and materials. It is the way an idea becomes reality. The sculptor must have knowledge of the media in order to know what tools to use and must know how to use the tools in order work the media, Without technique most creative ideas can never be shared since there is no way to bring them into existence.

Form
Form is the shape, the package in which the idea is presented. It is the total design. Form may be the shape of a particular subject or the shape of a non-existent subject. It may or may not be a recognizable object. Without form, there is no way for the technique to be demonstrated. Form is the physical demonstration of the elements of the design and principles of order.

Content
Content is the felling, message or importance of the sculpture. An experience with good content may literally evoke cold chills down the viewer’s back. A beautiful sunset may cause a sense of wonder at the sight. This feeling is akin to the sense of awe, of inspiration - of content – at seeing a beautiful object. A sculpture designed to show the devastation of war may lead the viewer with a queasy, terrified feeling of disgust -–of contest. Content varies, but the viewer always knows when strong contest is present, even thought her or she may not understand it. Without content, the work is a failure.

Thank You,
Yielding

bluespade
03-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Hi,

Wondeful work. I don't know anything about the technique but it appears masterful.

Regarding the content and form. The feeling I get from this shape (and the bone-white color) is not of dancing so much as wind-swept landscape. Or, of the remains of an ancient animal carcass that has been worn down to just a scrap of bones. In particular, the hole reminds me of a spine and the larger shape (as seen in the middle photo) reimnds me of a shoulder blade. The twisting nature implies the wind from the pairie or desert.

I hope that doesn't sound crass. I mean that it makes me think of a country or desert scene; in a very calm way, too.

sketchdude
03-05-2002, 02:01 AM
I like this and would like to see more views.
Can't comment much on the technique because I don't know what Winterstone is... Is it a natural stone that you carve, or is it something like clay that you model? It certainly looks like you know what you're doing.
I prefer the two views that show the cavities in the design. The second view looks decidedly like a back view as apposed to a front view. It also looks like a top heavy object.
The views that show negative spaces lend more of a rising feeling to the design and (to my eyes) more successfully overcome the heaviness of the material. I would spend some hours sketching wisps of smoke and then come back to a similar compostion.
I associate dance with rythym. To inject rythym into a design you need definite stops and starts. This design has some repetition, which gives it movemnt, but more of a slow meandering movemnt than a rythmic kind. I see references to basic elements in it, earth, wind, fire and water. I see some water & mostly wind, both in the smooth finish (reminds me of wind swept sandunes) and the slow rising upwards movement (like smoke or clouds).
Overall, It's a nice work.

bruin70
03-06-2002, 08:47 PM
for me,,,,the shape is a little too contained, as i imagine this to be somewhat like a flowing skirt with longer lines.

the second image shows that it doesn't have the freedom of the first.....{M}