PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Beads

AbbyW
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-09-2006/78185_Beads01-050906.gif

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My Latest Beads
Year Created: 2006
Dimension: Each bead approx 5/8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are my latest beads. I used some of the new Vetrofond ocean green along with nile green and EDP.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know that there is some bubble/scum, so I'm aware of that, but since I've only been making beads for about two months, I would really appreciate feedback on what I should be working on to make these beads better, AND, the best way to show them. Should I put seed beads or other spacers between them? Should I string them on ribbon? Wire? Is the raw silk background ok? What needs to happen before my work is "saleable". Feedback is most appreciated!
Thanks,
Abby

*Naos*
05-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Abby, I use cord so there's no need to upgrade to different stringing material unless you feel it will help sales. I haven't found a difference either way so I stick to cord.

Have you thought of etching these? i know it's kind of a joke lately that I always suggest that, but I find it really makes the patterns from reactive glasses POP!

I think they're fabulous beads and the photo looks good, too!
Am

killerbeedz1
05-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Abby:

I would work more on the round shape itself. Your beads have some pretty colors in them, but size in inconsistent. I string my beads with wire. It's easier for me to set up the photo that way because they are more likely to stay in the position I put them in. I do add spacers to my sets (either made or purchased). I like the way the set lays when my lampwork beads aren't touching each other.

AbbyW
05-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the input!

Jamn!
05-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I love the colors! I think they are very pretty as they are but you could try etching a few and see if you like the etched look.
I agree with Patsy that you should work on the round shape. From what I can see a couple of them look like you were holding the mandrel at a little bit of an angle. Try to make sure and keep the mandrel straight while the bead rounds out. :)

GREAT JOB for two months. I am impressed!

paisleypeapod
05-26-2006, 01:30 AM
I absolutely love the colors... which I know has been well noted... but they are really great! As for the stringing part... because of the colors and patterns in the beads I would just stick to something simple for stringing material. I think seed beads can show off and inspire ideas for people who would buy the beads to make their own jewelry, but it just depends. Kinda like when you go to sell a house and people always argue about whether it's best to have furniture or have it empty... give it personality or leave it open for the viewer to be creative. It's totally your choice and maybe it just depends on the bead... follow your gut!

lizajayne
05-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to comment on the etching. If you are unsure about it, try putting a couple in the freezer. When you pull it out it will be a little frosted (like a frosty rootbeer mug) and you can get an idea on how it would look etched.

As far as the beads go, I think the colors are great and the photos are pretty good too. I agree with Patsy about working on the shape. Try practicing by making an entire rod of just spacers. You can use the spacers later in sets - so you're not wasting anything, and you can practice working on getting consistant sized and shaped beads without worrying about the pattern or decoration.

AbbyW
05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks! I'm off to make spacers....

collectiblesbyrose
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I'd get rid of the 2 next to the knot in the cord. The rest look wonderful! I love the colors!!!

adaus
11-11-2006, 04:19 PM
colorful