PDA

View Full Version : Lavender field

Proudhawk
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi, everyone. This is 8"x10", oil on Raymar panel. I think I need to adjust the value relationship from foreground to midground. I don't like painting with the sun directly on the panel because I have trouble accurately judging values but, there was no shade available. Oh well, I think I have enough here to turn it into something worthwhile. C&C welcomed.

Rich

beaux-art
05-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Oh yes, I'd say you've definitely got something worthwhile already. Just value adjustments to give it some oomph. I find it very difficult to paint without shade and have to have my umbrella with me.

Cecelia

JanB
05-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Great color....maybe some value adjustments..but I really like the color!

Dirt Dude
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi, everyone. This is 8"x10", oil on Raymar panel. I think I need to adjust the value relationship from foreground to midground. I don't like painting with the sun directly on the panel because I have trouble accurately judging values but, there was no shade available. Oh well, I think I have enough here to turn it into something worthwhile. C&C welcomed.

Rich
Rich: I really like the comp on this one. Your self crit is right on. You did a nice job of using color to create distance and seperation, however, the entire ground portion is a single middle value. Get an umbrella. Given the winds around Palmdale, use a seperate support for the umbrella unless you want to sell lots of "multi-media" (dirt, sticks and oil) work.

brianc
05-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Rich
Those mid distant trees are really strong in the sun and the shadows! I like 'em. But I agree with you, with such strong values in the mid distance, you probably need a few darker values closer. Maybe a fence post? Maybe a bush? Maybe a toasted plein air painter without an umbrella :D

You can get a sportsman's attachable umbrella at WalMart for 7 bucks.

plec
05-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Rich sorry to disagree with everyone but I would not change this painting, I think it is fine as it is. I like the way the lavender colour in the foreground is repeated in the distance hills, encapuslating the centre section.
Best wishes, Ken..

PrimaryColours
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi Richard,

Your composition, use of colors and value are very good!

I was wondering what if the foreground value/hue are increased?
A quick check with PS gives the answer:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/82429-lavenderfield_modif.jpg

As you can see it could break your painting...
I hope this is useful...

Proudhawk
05-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks, everyone. In my opinion, this is where W/C is really valuable. I've taken your suggestions to heart and made some changes last night. I'll try to post the result this afternoon.

Very appreciatively,
Rich

Proudhawk
05-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Made some value adjustments. I think it works better now. I hope I'm right.

Rich

LarrySeiler
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I think that works Rich...
nicely done