PDA

View Full Version : 1st monoprint - view from Olana

colin
03-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Hey folks,
Someone gave me an old newspaper proofpress, so I've been playing with monoprints . Here is the first one , it's kind of low-key cause I forgot how much paper soaks up the brilliance of oil color ...

sassybird
03-02-2002, 09:39 PM
This is fantastic, colin! What base did you use to paint on? I don't think the oil is overwhelming at all. This reminds me of storms over the desert hills where I live, especially the way the water looks.

Great gift, that press! Wish someone had given me mine, well, I suppose my husband did, but he had to buy it........lol

I want to see more! Tell me more about your process with the oils. I have used oil pastels but never oils out of the tube.

I hope you are working in a well ventilated place. I can't do any intaglio work until the weather warms up and I can open all the windows in my studio. Those fumes can be really toxic.

colin
03-03-2002, 02:22 AM
Thanks sassy ! I kinda like it too ...

I just used oils out of the tube mixed with a little stand oil, laid it on a stainless steel plate with a pallette knife and kinda pushed it around with brushes . I dont even know what kind of paper it is - some really heavy stuff I had laying around . I soaked it in water for a while first .

The proof press is really primitive - it was used to get a readable print of set type to proofread . Its just a heavy rubber covered roller mounted on a carriage with bearings that ride on rails under the bed - you have to push it up over the plate and blankets by brute force and theres no real way to adjust the pressure except by adding or removing blankets. I sorta doubt it could be used for any kind of intaglio work ( how much pressure do you need for that ? ) but it seems fine for monotype .

I am really having fun with this , though ! I love how it forces you to be more gestural and spontaneous ...

Gisela
03-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Welcome Colin!

Wonderful piece you've got there! I like the mood of it.
Monotype is so much fun and the results are so different from any other methods. I agree that it forces you to be more gestural and spontaneous - I often get too caught up in the details and it's a great way to loosen up. And you never know exactly what the end result will look like, so it's pretty exciting too!

Glad you've joined us here and congrats on getting such a great gift!

Gisela

amanda
03-05-2002, 08:17 AM
This reminds me a lot of Turner's paintings which I love. He did some great stormy skies and seas that are overpowering when you see them in person. Nice one.

sassybird
03-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Colin, primitive sells, and sells big in some places. You should see some of the fibers pieces I have sold that were torn fabric dipped in plaster and then wrapped around and around. Find a way to frame these in a primitive manner and see what happens. I have a friend that frames in found wood from old houses and barns being torn down. They look great!