PDA

View Full Version : Pastels in Guerrilla 9x12 Pochade

KA Obee
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I just got my Mt Vision Workshop set of 75 pastels and want to put them in my Guerrilla painting box. The boxes they came in are too long and a little too wide. I threw out all the boxes that my other pastels came in because I'm a complete idiot! Now I don't even have that padding to use to make something else fit.

I'm going to go to CVS tomorrow morning to see if any candy boxes might work. (Hmmm, what ever WILL I do with that pesky candy that comes inside those nice boxes? :evil: )

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love to know what you use. I'd rather not invest in the Guerrilla pastel things if I can just make something myself.

I plan to cut the Mt. Visions in half because they are HUGE!

Here's a shot of the pochade box open with the pastels next to it:
The area I have to fill is around 2 1/2 inches high, 4 1/4 wide and 11 1/2 long. There's more room in the box, but I'd like to save that for baby wipes and other things like that - but will most likely end up stuffing pastels in there too!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2006/65077-P1010064.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2006/65077-P1010063.JPG

Thanks for any brilliant ideas you might have.
KA

khourianya
05-08-2006, 10:44 PM
hmmm - Dianna Ponting once showed the little cases she uses for transporting her pastels - they are slim pencil boxes, plastic, that she lines with foam and fills with pastels. Those might be about the right size to fit in there and then you could just open them up and stack them together (set the base of one int he lid of another) while you work.

I'll try to find a link for you.

edited to add - here we are - just took a bit of hunting. I'll post the pic instead.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2006/47843-attachment.jpeg

Tressa
05-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Ka, I like the way the box looks, maybe will order this week.
I am not sure if I will get the pastel boxes or not, I will wait and see what you come up with!! :)
Tres

ColorMyWorld
05-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I used balsa wood and foam from the craft store to customize my Guerrilla ThumBox. It took a utility knife and glue to make them. Oh, and lots of measuring twice!
Here are some photos.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4574277#post4574277

bjcpaints
05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Looks great KA!

KA Obee
05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Ann,
I saw your idea for the Thumbox and actually considered bying that instead of this one, but originally bought this for watercolors so I thought I needed the larger box. The thing is, the center divider in this box can't be removed. I could most likely do what you did, but make long narrow trays instead of square ones. I bet they would hold plenty of pastels too.
How do you like your set up? Is it working for you? Do you get balsa wood at Michaels Crafts or somewhere like that?
I didn't get to CVS this morning, but will try to get there this evening. I still like my candy box idea because then I can eat those candies! But I'll also see if they have some narrow pencil boxes that I could use.
Where do you get foam? again, I bet if I go to Michael's I could find that easilly.
KA

khourianya
05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
You can buy thin uphostery foam at prett much any fabric store that sells uphostery supplies

Potoma
05-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I use 2 layers of 1/4" foam in my French Companion with pretty good luck. I use it above and below, then make dams around the sides as needed. I think a key element is being brave and breaking your pastels into 1" lengths.

chewie
05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
i went way cheap to make trays for my pastels...i used foamboard! i did this after hearing (later, witnessing firsthand!) donna A. holding a large box of pastels above her head, then almost throwing it to the floor?!!!!! *gasp in horror!* but, nothing happend to those sticks!! and she's used it for years, travelling, etc. just measure your space, and cut sides, use shipping tape, and you're done! be sure to add some side space to include the thickness of foam. i wasn't fond of white foam, and couldn't find anything dark in my tiny town, so i used an air-conditioner filtering foam, its dark, and about 1/4 inch thick, and cheap.

your box looks wonderful, as do those nice new sticks!!!! it does hurt to break the first few, but then when you see the amt. you can stuff into a tiny box, and the fun you'll have later, oooh, gets way easier!! have fun!!

KA Obee
05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Chewie,
I'm not sure I understand what you did. Did you actually build a little box out of foam board or did you hollow out the foam board and then tape everything together? I think something like this might work perfectly. I just have to figure out how to do it.
KA

KA Obee
05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
O.K. I'm a dope. Here is the link for Donna A's design for the foam core box. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344728
Actually, just scroll down in the chat area and you'll see it.
I don't know if the foam core will take up too much space in the pochade box. I'd love to find those little pencil boxes! I looked at CVS tonight, but alas, all the Russell Stover candy boxes were a bit too big. They make these awesome french mints and I think that box would be perfect, because it's a little smaller than their regular candy boxes, but they must be a seasonal candy because I couldn't find them.
KA

KA Obee
05-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I finally found a candy box that is just the right size for the Guerrila box. I don't think Russell Stover makes this size box any more. I gave my husband the chocolates from inside the box, knowing that if I had them in my studio for even 15 minutes they'd be applied directly to my hips!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2006/65077-P1010068.JPG

I'll keep looking to find another box of these candies - untiil then I'll just use the lid for the rest of my pastels with some foam for protection. The one box holds 40 of the Mt Vision set (cut in half of course). I have the 75 workshop set, so this should work perfectlly!:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2006/65077-P1010069.JPG

Oh yeah, and taking the advice from you all, I am creating a little swatch book as I do this. I figure I might as well do it while I'm cutting the pastels and all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2006/65077-P1010070.JPG
KA

khourianya
05-16-2006, 10:46 PM
very cool solution, KA.

Tressa
05-17-2006, 07:06 AM
It looks great!!! I can't wait for mine to get here today!!!
Now get out there and PAINT!!:evil:
Tres

KA Obee
05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
And the rains have stopped!!!!
Well, sort of... I do see a strand of sunlight out of my window today - which gives me the slightest bit of hope that we'll be able to get outside for the rest of the week.
I finished cutting my pastels in half and am going to run to Jerry's today to get boards or paper to fit in the box. I'm very excited!
Can't wait to see what you come up with Tressa!
KA

Tressa
05-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Dang!! I wish I could just "run" to Jerry's!!! We have the crappiest art supply stores around here. I CAN go to the city, but is such a hassle!!
Tres

Bill Foehringer
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I have the 12x16 G-box. I made three trays out of 1/8" plywood and some leftover trim moldings. I use upolstery padding. These trays are durable, don't blow around in the wind, but are a little heavy. Two of them fill up one long division and the third lays on the top of the other section with misc. stuff underneath. On top of the palette I have room for my box of landscape greens and more. I keep a bunch of paper/panels in the lid. The whole thing is pretty heavy but I stow it in a backpack and carry it into the field on my back with the tripod strap over one shoulder. BillF

Tressa
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I GOT IT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
My box came today!!! I can't wait to get it all set up!!! :D
Tres

Tressa
05-25-2006, 07:02 AM
I just got my new Terry Ludwig Pastels yesterday, and the boxes the day before, so here is the set up!! Terry got to go in first, and now the rest! Some Great Americans, Art Spectrums, Sennies, Schmicke,Unison,and my Holbein hards...Just a note for anyone thinking of buying the Pastel Boxes. In order for them to fit, and especially to fit four, you have to remove the two little side panels in the back of the Guerrilla box, and the four boxes take up ALL the interior space, both front and back, so your only place to put other items in on top of the sliding palette!
Treshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2006/76189-PICT0003.JPG

KA Obee
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Oooh, the Terry Ludwig Pastels look yummy!
I ordered two of the pastel boxes. I'm interested to see how it will all work out for me. Maybe I'll put the new boxes in the front and move my extra stuff to the back compartment. I can use the candy box for extra pastels or whatever...
I should be able to FINALLY get outside to paint this weekend. Also, maybe I can get some photos of the Memorial Day parade to use for future ref.
KA

chewie
05-25-2006, 12:47 PM
oooo,love pix of new art toys!! both set ups are looking like good fun!! enjoy yerselves, girls!!

KA--sorry i didn't reply about the foamcore boxes, but i wasn't home. yes, just like donna, i made the boxes themselves outta foamboard and shipping tape. but i think you already found a solution, so good for you!

i just love seeing what ppl do to make this stuff work!! prowling candy aisles for the box instead of the candy!! hahah! i use pimento jars to save my fallen dust in the studio, to make pastels from it later. just aint' figgered out yet what pimentos are good for?! hahah!

Tressa
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
The TLs are YUMMY!!! I tried them out today on a landscape!! I could not paint outside today, as is rainy, but I did take my box with me, and worked from a photo...maybe tomorrow....sigh...:D
Tres

KA Obee
05-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Tressa,
I can't remember - which TL set did you get? I know you said you ordered directlly from him - but can't remember, did you get a landscape set or did you do something different? (You know I'm thinking about my next purchase! It's an addiction, I tell ya!)
KA

Tressa
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
30 Landscape, yea, it's adicting!!!:rolleyes:

Tres

KA Obee
05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I just had an idea that I think will work and it will add a little more pastel storage space to the Guerrilla box. I took a box that paper comes in - nice paper or avery labels, (not a whole ream of paper, that box would be too deep) something like that. It has to be one that has a lid.
anyway, cut it in half with an exacto knife and then fold up the cut side - I'll send a picture... It makes two boxes that fit in the pallette extension area. You could use them for the hard pastels, or pencils or whatever. I may even make them work for regular pastels...
I'll have to send a photo, and I have to make sure it really fits once the pastels are in the box and all. I have to run to Liam's baseball game right now though. Because of all the rain we had a week or so ago, we have make-up games going all the time! He's 10 years old and his game tonight is from 7:30 - 9:30! He's going to be in a wonderful mood for school tomorrow.:eek: I'm sure glad I'm not his teacher!:evil:
KA:rolleyes:

Tressa
05-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Cool, cuz I was trying to figure out some little flat type container to use in there!!!
Tres

KA Obee
05-26-2006, 08:09 AM
I'll post pictures either tonight or tomorrow.
We didn't get home until almost 10 pm last night. The boys are so cranky this morning! I'm sooo glad their teachers are the patient sort.
KA

Tressa
05-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Ok, here is my solution for hard pastels and charcoal. I used a Fossil watch tin for the charcoal, and a Watercolor pencil tin for the pastels. I lined both with foam, but found putting the foam on the top of the pencil tin did not work, so I took that out, and it fits very snug and tight now. The other little coin box has my bungie and clips in it. Treshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2006/76189-PICT0044.JPG

KA Obee
05-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Nice set up Tressa! You have lots of little tins and stuff that work well. I'm psyched for you!
I'll have to post pictures tomorrow. I'm just beat!
I stopped by Jerry's (finally) and picked up a couple of pads of Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper. It's 9 x 12 and fits perfectlly in the lid of the box. I haven't used regular (non-textured) paper for pastels in years - but it's so much less expensive and I'm assuming I'm going to be struggling with the whole process of painting outside - so I want to feel like it's o.k. to experiment - not worry about the paper I'm 'wasting'.
I got my two pastel boxes from Guerrilla today. I'm glad I only ordered two because with my pastels they end up being a little thick for the box. I decided to put one in the front and one in the back compartment. I'm working my other stuff around it.
I really want to bring my new little set up to Liam's baseball game tomorrow morning - but I'm afraid people will see me and will expect wonderful little paintings. I'm planning on making quite a bit of mud on my first few attempts. I also assume I'll be a little clumsy with my set-up and I guess I don't want to look like an idiot in front of people.
...Maybe I'll work in the back yard first. I'll bring my camera to the baseball game. (And my sketch pad.)
KA

Tressa
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Ka,
Actually, the boxes WERE rather tight, and I had a bit of trouble closing it, so I sent a pm to Sarah Judsen, and asked if this was normal, as I did NOT even want to break my box:eek: She said that the palette was very strong and flexible, and the pastels would settle down a bit, so I have all mine in there, and I have noticed them getting a bit easier to close..I guess as you use them ,and they get a bit smaller, they fit better.

Go ahead and take your set-up, and you can say it is a practice run, it's a new pochade, checking it out,yada,yada,yada... and you are just "sketching" , :evil: No one will know the difference:lol: :lol:

I have a bunch of that paper also, maybe will try it out again. I did not like it at ALL when I first tried it. Not sure if I am spoiled or not to the Wallis:rolleyes:
What I have been doing, is I have some 12X12 pieces of masonite(Lowes or Home Depot for 1.29 a 2X2 piece), and I tape my paper to this. I need to cut it down to 9X12, but it still works, I just cannot store inside the box.
Tres
Tres

KA Obee
05-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I like the idea of the masonite, because then you can bring single sheets of paper and tape them to it. Also you can use larger paper.
O.K. I have some photos. I have to run to an 8:30 am baseball game (Baseball is my life!) so this will be quick.
the first shot is of the little boxes I was making for inside the expanded pallette. I never finished them because I don't really need them now. I'm keeping them because I think I will need them as I expand my pallette of landscape pastels in the future. The other pictures are of my current set up. The little pink bag next to the box in the last photo is something I'm going to bring along so I have something to put the little stuff in when I've got the pastels out of the storage area.
KA

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/65077-P1010013.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/65077-P1010016.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2006/65077-P1010017.JPG

Tressa
05-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Looks good!!! I am gonna use a small tote of some kind to put some misc stuff in also(alcohol, wipes etc...). I have a little green floral purse I don't use that might work, similar to your pink one.
Geesh,I gotta get me some of those Mt Visions!! I love the chunky look of them.:evil:
Tres