PDA

View Full Version : KIUAN Exercise 2 - Choose your Poison!

CharM
05-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Everyone... we've ranted, raved, discussed and debated "Put It In Reverse" to the very end... A lot of good points were raised and a lot of learning was done! We even painted some... :D

It's time to move on!!

So, with that, I randomly chose three options from our list of topics... This is your opportunity to vote on the next KIUAN Topic!!! Brushes at the ready...

CharM
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Descriptions of the Poll Options:

Draw... you're it!
Let's fine tune our drawing skills, making the drawing itself the focus of our painting... add a few washes and see what develops!

Get a Life!
Many, many of us use photo references... Let's set up a still life; sit in the garden; do plein aire; or find a model and paint from LIFE!

Paint your Pallette I
Consider the analogous colour on your pallette and design and paint a composition from it.

Tree Huggers Unite!
Divide a quarter sheet into small panes and study the various types of trees, their shapes, their foliage... maybe even snow covered branches.

Strawberry Wine
05-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Hi Char,

I just got too busy and sick to join in your first KIUAN but things have started to get back to norma...

Bet you didn't guess that I would pick "tree huggers unite" :)

Cheers,

Gail l

laudesan
05-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great learning curve.......

Values!!

Paint in one colour!!!!!!!!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :thumbsup:

CharM
05-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi Gail... gee... no... I wouldn't have guessed that!!! :lol: :p

And... just to confuse everyone (I do that well, you know)... I told you that I was offering 3 options and then posted 4... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went with the Analogous pallette... as always, colour fascinates me and I've love to explore this further... AND, I can vote in my own poll!!!!

CharM
05-08-2006, 08:14 AM
JJ... *smiling... I didn't post those two options this time... :confused:

madmum
05-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm feeling a little thick today - what do you mean by "analogous colour"? I know I should understand, but my brain isn't willing to co-operate! lol

Aquarelle10
05-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Char,I think all are wonderful suggestions.Sadly I will be travelling through May and June to Dubai and France plus summer workshops here so I'll have to sit this one out.Well not sadly as I will be having a ball but you know what I mean!:p

I will thoroughly enjoy jumping in if I can at free moments but it wouldn't be fair for me to cast a vote for something I can't join in with.Whatever anyone chooses I will enjoy.

Have fun and happy painting.By the way there is a wonderful tree thread in the wash somewhere as I was looking for trees with downward pointing branches a while ago.

Jean.

madmum
05-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Oops never mind, I remember! lol

CharM
05-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Oops never mind, I remember! lol

:lol: Stretching already, Ruth!!!!

madmum
05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
:p :lol:

For anyone who doesn't know, it's 3 colours which are next to each other on the colour wheel, like yellow, yellowy green and green, or green, turquoise and blue. :)

Ruth

laudesan
05-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Oooooooooops:o Analogous ............... not monotone :o

Ruth...........;)

Analogous

Analogous colors are those that are adjacent to each other on the color wheel. If you pick any range of colors between two points of either triangle on our color wheel (ie yellow to red, orange to violet, red to blue, etc), you will have an analogous color scheme.

:wave:

JustjoGA
05-08-2006, 08:48 AM
LOL... that was my question ... what is analagous.
I know I could look it up, but I always like the
knowledge imparted here ... easier to understand
than the encyclopedia!! :)

I voted for Drawing.

JustJo

Celeste McCall
05-08-2006, 09:04 AM
The drawing option would be my second pick. I like the still life choice for now.

One of these days a detailed pen and ink with washes would be good to try for a Kiuan thread. However, some might think that it would be mixed media then....and technically, it could be....so no posting the results in the gallery?

Just asking as I'm not sure what's being allowed with the new guidelines. How much pen & ink percentage to watercolor, etc.

Also, not all pen & ink is india ink. Some p&i sets sold in the U.S. are actually black acrylic. So that too could cause a problem, couldn't it (percentages)? Just asking for a clarification here...just in case there ever is a drawing or detailed style & artists include pen & ink like this.

Here are examples of a large percentage of pen & ink with a lesser amount of watercolor:

http://www.tate.org.uk/collection/N/N03/N03822_9.jpg

http://www.jeannewhitney.com/images/facingdark.jpg

http://www.artharveststudiotour.org/2005/images/artwork/sepha_nisbet_camillia.jpg

http://art-gallery-on-line.com/images/fr.gif

http://www.p4a.com/item_images/medium/12/36/01-01.jpg

http://www.thenaturalline.com/images/small/california_quail.gif

Celeste McCall
05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Analogous colors can be 3-5 colors next to each other on the color wheel. Scroll down to analogous on this page:

http://members.cox.net/mrsparker2/vocab.htm

This next page is a good page to study also:

http://www.maggiemcclellan.com/maggiescorner1.html

CharM
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Celeste... pen and ink with washes is one of our suggested topics (Inking keeps you Thinking)... :D I'll *randomly* select it in the next group of poll options for Exercise 3... hehehe

jaytee
05-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I voted.... Get A Life. 'cos Guess what... we have a mini meet in Kington this weekend and are planning to do some pleine air, still life etc etc :lol:

Europa
05-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Ok I give up - what does KIUAN stand for?? :confused:

Pat

mmcaloon
05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Kick It Up A Notch

Celeste McCall
05-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey Mike...I like your new avatar! :D :D :D :D :D

Kate Mc
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I chose the Analogous palette, because I think it would be good discipline for me at this point.

:p

Kate, who always needs a little more discipline!

jaytee
05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Kate.......... Ive censored my reply to you :eek:

PAT... so who hasn't been in the Learning Zone recently ;)

Kate Mc
05-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Jaytee, put the whips away......:D

You BAAAAAAD!

Kate

maryrose
05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Get a life....just what I've been working on :lol:

With the good weather coming and lots of garden flowers....wouldn't this be fun?!

Great choices...all winners.

rue d'oak
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
happy to do any...still haven't gotten back to the tomatoes. Akk. Obsessed with portraits at the moment.
Jen

Christie
05-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Drawing, I like the idea of drawing...:)

jaydiva
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
hmmm i think analogeous colours would be a good excercise for me ...
hard choice to make though

P.Albert
05-08-2006, 02:23 PM
I chose the Analogous palette also. I love playing in colors and I've gotten too happy with the compliments. I'd love to do one in red, red violet and violet...
Get a life sounds nice also, I have a beautiful garden outside waiting for me. But it's been raining so much... I'd rather not have to sit out there with an umbrella, lol.
Sounds like fun!

Uschi
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
So Char, I must clarify (I'm tired, not thinking straight:p ) we vote and whatever has the most votes, we all do, right?????

and cancel all the votes for trees - PLEEEAAASE:lol: :lol:
Uschi

yahooserious
05-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I voted for the still life thing... Why I have no idea. I've not been eager....ever..... to paint a still life... The good news is that I'll be traveling a lot this month so maybe I can hop over it...:D

Emilie

p.s. maybe it's because I know I need to improve and challenge myself?????

Christie
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd like to change my vote to trees please (just for Uschi:D). Just kidding, I still want to do drawing.

CharM
05-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi All... We have two topics that are neck-in-neck... The Analogous Colour and the Paint from Life...

This is a democratic series of exercises, so, yes... the topic with the most votes wins!

Now... that's not to say we couldn't bend the rules a tad... I mean... what would happen if we did a painting from life using an analogous pallette????

Talk about a CHALLENGE! *smiling*

I think that every one of these exercises have the potential to spark some pretty lively conversation and discussion... :D

JustjoGA
05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
So, Char. does that leave the Drawing in the dust?
Two pen and wash painters right off ~~ Flattwo (Henry)
and Doug (Yorky)...

JustJo

CharM
05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Awhhh, Jo... the KIUAN exercises are intended to STRETCH our skills... teach us new techniques... expand our horizons...

None of the topics will be going away... If they don't win the vote this time, they'll win it another time...

By putting the topics to a vote, we can select what interests us most at the time... There are enough topics to keep us going for almost two years!!!

Honestly, I don't see what this has to do with Henry or Doug... except that they are exceptional pen and ink artists... When the time comes that the Drawing Topic or Inking Topic win the vote, I would hope they'll contribute their knowledge to the artists participating in the exercise...

JustjoGA
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I hope so too.... OK, I'll just sit here and wait
patiently for the drawing's time to come. :) I just
am fascinated by those two with their unique styles,
and would like to see how to imitate their strokes.

JustJo

Ellen in Ont
05-08-2006, 09:48 PM
I voted for painting from life. I really want to go in that direction for still life and have always wanted to try it but never gotten around to it.:D

rue d'oak
05-09-2006, 01:33 AM
:cool: Looks like we need to stump to get out the vote!
Jen

jaytee
05-09-2006, 06:51 AM
:cool: Looks like we need to stump to get out the vote!
Jen
And which vote might that be ??:D

If its for life Im good at stomping but have no idea at all how to stump or even what it is :D

Well........ whether or not its going to be for this month, I am seriously thinking of setting up a [couple of] still life's for the upcoming Kington weekend :lol: Guess they'll still count whenever :D

Uschi
05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
So according to the vote we have 31 participants so far!!!!!!

I voted for "get a life", that way I can also hone my drawing skills and analogous colours:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:
Uschi

jaytee
05-09-2006, 06:55 AM
So according to the vote we have 31 participants so far!!!!!!

I voted for "get a life", that way I can also hone my drawing skills and analogous colours:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:
Uschi

Hey Uschi...... you mean we HAVE to do what we didnt even vote for :eek:

In which case . definitely NO TREES !!!

Vote for LIFE folks :D:D:D

jaydiva
05-09-2006, 06:58 AM
life analogous trees :D

jaytee
05-09-2006, 07:04 AM
life analogous trees :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CharM
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM

Get and Life and Paint your Pallette I are still tied for first place... and I put a time limit on the poll for 5 days...

So...

If we don't end up with a clear winner this time around... maybe we really do need to KIUAN even further...

I see no reason why we can't do both.... at the same time! :eek:

For instance...

You set up your still life... photograph it for posterity... paint it FROM life...

Then... paint it again or another version of it, using an analogous pallette...

...would really make for interesting discussion...

At SOME point, we need to practice trees!!!! :lol:

jaydiva
05-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Just thinking about that curls up my paper and toes

i'm not a stillife person arghhhh

Yorky
05-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Oh dear, I voted "Tree Hugger" before I read that Pen and wash was an option :eek:

Sorry JT.

Doug :)

Uschi
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
AARRGH, someone else voted for trees :eek: :eek: Jutta, was that you:rolleyes: :rolleyes: - bad girl:evil: :lol:
Uschi

jaytee
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Doug........... well there plenty to practice on around here :) Fortunately they are not in the running :)

edit

:eek: just seen, they are catching up !!!

we could yet have a tie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so its 'Draw trees from Life and Paint in Analagous Colours'.... that it ?????

jaydiva
05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Did not, Uschi!!

CharM
05-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Oh dear, I voted "Tree Hugger" before I read that Pen and wash was an option :eek:

Sorry JT.

Doug :)

I don't know where you guys are seeing Pen and Wash as an option this time around!!!

You and Jo need some new glasses...

There's a Drawing option... :lol:

CharM
05-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Just thinking about that curls up my paper and toes

i'm not a stillife person arghhhh

:lol: READ the description... it doesn't HAVE to be a still life... it can be ANYTHING FROM life... the only stipulation in this one is NO photograph...

Practice your nudes, if you like, Jutta!!! Find someone who'll sit for you... or lay... hehehe

mmcaloon
05-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Form the various pleas I do think we need to practice trees more so all would be confortable with them.......Plus it would be fun to hear the knashing of teeth...:evil: :lol: :lol:

I voted for the one you could do all three with. Now I have to get the time.:(

Kate Mc
05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
What about a painting from life using analogous colors?

:D

Kate

Granny R
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
What does analogous color on your palette mean? I feel foolish asking, but I don't understand. I haven't voted yet, but will shortly. They all sound challenging to me.
Ruth

jaytee
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
What does analogous color on your palette mean? I feel foolish asking, but I don't understand. I haven't voted yet, but will shortly. They all sound challenging to me.
Ruth

Ruth..... there are a couple of explanations early on on page I of the tread ....several enquiring minds needed reminding :D

laudesan
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
RuthAnalogous colors are those that are adjacent to each other on the color wheel. If you pick any range of colors between two points of either triangle on our color wheel (ie yellow to red, orange to violet, red to blue, etc), you will have an analogous color scheme.

Have a look HERE (http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html) for an explanation on the various colour schemes..:)

Granny R
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Ok Thanks JT and JJ. That was very helpful.
Ruth

jaydiva
05-09-2006, 09:38 AM
ok, then nude trees it'll be.

Hope i got this right.

mmcaloon
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Jutta don't forget

nude trees from life that are drawn first and then coverd with analogous color washes......

and much later we can add pen and ink......

CharM
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
I can see we're going to need a butt icon here pretty soon... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rue d'oak
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
and neutral poll site observers!:lol: :lol: :lol:

rue d'oak
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Nude trees...then the madrone is our model! :evil: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2006/63987-tipsoomadrone.jpg

this photo is located at:
http://www.middle-fork.org/archives/2004/10/
Posted by "root vegetable" October 17, 2004. LOTS of incredible nature shots, by the way. I'm emailing to find out if I can paint any of them.

edit: ROBOT Vegetable...hee hee . I need to put my screen glasses on!
Jen

jaytee
05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh No !!!!!!!!!!!! We're in for a bout of naughty vegetable pics :eek:

hopefulbucky
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
LOVE the madrona tree, they are so interesting.

BTW I did vote and chose the drawing since I am so poor at it. But when I saw the votes I thought why not combine the still life with the analagous. And then everyone saw that it might be a neat thing. I really need to practice painting outside to be prepared for Charmouth this fall. My DH just planted tons of annuals in our pots for our deck so if it would just warm a bit and not rain need to start practicing this.

When one paints analagous just out of curiousity, say one was doing flowers and had picked colors from yellow to red, then one would have a shade of red or yellow leaves is that correct? And a sky of whatever mixture one could make? Is that correct?

Celeste McCall
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Not necessarily, Hopefulbucky. Totally analogous...yes. Mostly analogous..no. ;)

I would suggest totally analogous (with tints and tones) up to 5 colors next to each other on the color wheel to keep it simple.

And perhaps the ones that are familiar with dischords, etc. to show that also? There IS a way to use them correctly or incorrectly according to Hal Reed. Cherryl Meggs is an expert on colors. Maybe she would join in since she also watercolors if she has the time (she is a full time professional PA)? ;)

Uschi
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Doug, smacking your fingers, YOU were the one voting for trees - bad, bad, bad:D

We are having so much fun already, this is going to be a hoot:clap: :clap: that is as long as we are painting anything, ANYTHING, except the trees:lol: :lol:
Uschi

NodakerDeb
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I want to play too!!!

I voted for getting a life. Now all I have to do is make the d*mn dog sit still long enough. :)

Deb

D'Lady
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I chose the analogous thing, but am still a bit unclear. You can make mixes of the three colors, right? Or do you just have to use each one straight?

jaydiva
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
That's a great idea, Deb!! Since we're getting Isis groomed on Saturday i can paint a nude dog under a tree chewing on some pens ... analog of course

NodakerDeb
05-09-2006, 02:23 PM
That's a great idea, Deb!! Since we're getting Isis groomed on Saturday i can paint a nude dog under a tree chewing on some pens ... analog of course

of course! ;) :lol:

Ms. Char -- what have you started!!

Yorky
05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm geting confused :confused: :confused: :confused:

Doug

CharM
05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Barkless trees and naked dogs with Doug in dischord and Celeste encouraging the lot of you!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Welcome to the playground Deb... if nothing else, KIUAN will keep you on your toes... oh... but then, you've already done those!

mmcaloon
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
OK
OK
so we are doing analog not digital nude dogs lost in trees without anyof them barking and because they are not being kept in pens.

pssst....Jutta we are going to be sent to the corner again. But we can blame Celeste:cool:

Celeste McCall
05-09-2006, 05:27 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: :D :D :D :D :D

painterbear
05-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I chose the analogous thing, but am still a bit unclear. You can make mixes of the three colors, right? Or do you just have to use each one straight?

I would think that is OK. If you choose blue and yellow along the bottom of the color wheel, then you could mix them and get greens in various shades for your painting. Depending on how many analogous colors we decide upon (if that is the winner), there are all sorts of in-between shades and hues that can be made.

BTW, I picked "paint your pallette" just because I thought it would be interesting to play with mixing a range of colors from just two or three to start with.

I'm looking forward to being in this second annual KIUAN exercise, missed the first one because life got in the way, but I have no proofing assignments at this time so should be able to join in. :D

Sylvia

Celeste McCall
05-09-2006, 07:22 PM
For those interested, here is the Analogous Color wheel by Hal Reed. He also sells tapes about the color also on this page. ;)

http://www.artvideostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=CW0000

CharM
05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
...in the meantime... have a little fun with this interactive colour wheel...

http://h40099.www4.hp.com/uk/en/online_tools/colour_wheel.html

leverettfinn
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
the madam from Oxford MI chooses LIFE! :D....:clap: :lol: :p

Lauren

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
This website has a MONET that is painted using mostly analogous colors (scroll down a bit)

http://www.writedesignonline.com/resources/design/rules/color.html

Ted1937
05-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Char , thanks for that interactive colour link, very interesting.

madmum
05-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Celeste, I see the dischordant colours as yellow and red in that Monet, and they really bring it to life. I think many of us do the same thing instinctively, adding a dash of orange to the centre of a pink flower for example. Turner usually added a splodge of red in a landscape for the same reason.

Fun colour wheel Char! It makes the differences between the various colour schemes much clearer.

Ruth

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Ruth, I agree....many DO use the colors instinctively....but I didn't a few years back...now I do. I had to spend an entire year learning it though. For some, color is hard. That's why it's so important to help each other to learn to be CREATIVE with color.

(I do understand, however, that there are only a limited number of color combinations possible, but it would be more creative to paint things that are different from the ordinary such as I used in the last KIUAN thread. EXAMPLE: I was featuring the YELLOW bananas and decided to use a BLUE background instead of PURPLE because PURPLE is too predictable, IMHO. In the tighter version that I painted, I stuck to the colors that were actually in the photo. )

Also, about the discords used in the Monet painting. The discords of the key color of BLUE are actually a yellow green and a red violet according to Hal Reed's color wheel.

Discords are two steps on the color wheel either side of the compliment of the key/main color. Not quite the triad as you have mentioned (A majority blue, yellow, & red color combination is using a TRIAD which means that they are three equally spaced colors on the color wheel). Look back at the painting for those two....yellow green and red violet and you'll see them used as discords. ;)

Oh, and I had previously misspelled discord by the way. :o :eek: Instead of DISCHORD is it DISCORD without the H in it. (Hope that I didn't mess up someone's journal page. If so put a big :o :eek: next to the misspelled word.) ;)

This stuff is not necessary to learn for everyone. It's probably too much emphasis on theory and making a simple thing more complicated. ;) I'll provide links from now on. ;)

CharM
05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
...found that colour wheel by accident... and thought it would help people with their voting...

And... I DID THAT!!! I added a dash of orange to a magenta flower!!! Clappin' and dancin'...

Hah! I KNOW about dischords... I'm so excited!!!!

Life and Pallette are still neck-in-neck!!! :lol:

CharM
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
We x-posted, Celeste... will you STOP saying you're going to STOP explaining all this stuff... sheesh... we WANT to know!!!

The discordant colour can be the *attention-getter*!!! It's that unexpected bit that draws your eye to it... it forces the viewers to focus where you WANT them to focus...

Oh... I'm so excited about this!!!

And... look what I found... right here on WC!... Discords (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57583)

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Oops....Char....nope, sorry, but adding orange to magenta is just staying within the 5 analogous color range. ;)

The discord to magenta (redviolet) is blue green and yellow :D :D :D

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Ok, for ease of discussion here are the discords

YELLOW - discords are BLUE GREEN & RED VIOLET -
ORANGE - discords are GREEN & VIOLET
RED - discords are GREEN & BLUE
REDVIOLET - discords YELLOW & BLUE GREEN
VIOLET/PUPLE - discords are GREEN & ORANGE
BLUE VIOLET - discords are GREEN & RED
BLUE - discords YELLOW GREEN & RED VIOLET
BLUE GREEN - discords are RED VIOLET & ORANGE
GREEN - discords are RED ORANGE & BLUE VIOLET
YELLOW GREEN - discords are BLUE and RED

Ok, hope that this helps. :D

jaydiva
05-10-2006, 10:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/32313-Tulpe-nah.jpg

Look at how many reds are in this tulip ... ranging from orangish to purplish ...

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi Jutta....orange and purple both have RED in them. :D So....analogous! :D :D :D

BEAUTIFUL photo/painting? by the way!!!! :D :D :D :D

Uschi
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Fun and interesting read!!!

To my mind, the one who has "discords" down pat is our very own DEB!!! I have always admired her splash of "discord" in her paintings, just didn't know that it had a name and thought that maybe instinct told her what to throw in and maybe it did:thumbsup: :D

Deb, I hope you don't mind me showing your painting, you did show it on WC so I don't feel I am doing something wrong.

Look at that bit of green/blue within all that orange - LOVE IT!!! Deb does this in many of her paintings, see her website, well worth a browse http://www.deborahs-art.com/

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/10602-Dancer-Web-cr-2Deb.jpg
Uschi

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Uschi....that's the complementary color of RED....not the dischord. ;) The complement of Red on the Munsell system is Blue Green.

On the Grumbacher type color wheels the compliment to RED is GREEN.

Don Jusko explains why this doesn't work with watercolors and paints:

His color wheel shown on the right hand side of this page below in the link... also shows Blue Green as Red's complement. ;)

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/othercolorwheel.htm

By the way, I'm not saying that Jusko or Reed is right or wrong, but for me this color wheel & Hal Reed's works best for me and some of my teachers and artist friends. :D

Sue Galos
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Celeste - when setting up the discords, are you looking at Reed's or Jusko's colour wheels? The discords appear to be triads, yes?

Sue Galos
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
okay, voted, now when do we start? Lauren & I will be spending 10 hrs in the car tomorrow - maybe we can be each other's models :evil:

mmcaloon
05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Celeste - when setting up the discords, are you looking at Reed's or Jusko's colour wheels? The discords appear to be triads, yes?

(I can't tell you how intimitated I am jumping out here in this discussion with the "wise ones".:eek: )

Sue I don't think so exactly. It does appear to work that way on the Jusko's wheel. However, I don't feel confortable saying the complement to yellow is blue even if we call it ultramarine blue. There are colors shifts in pigments that prevent us from using the theoretical primary colors exactly but I am not ready to throw out everything I know about color yet.

A triadic color would be three equally spaced colors. The two discords are shifted off the triac. Think about a clock for a really rough analogy: 6 is 12's complement. 12, 4, and 8 are the Triadic (like the mythical primary colors). 5 and 9 would be the discords to 12. A clockwise shift off the triac.

(Question to ponder: would it also be discords if we shifted counter-clockwise? Oh oh I'm starting to get a headache and nosebleed again:D )

Now I may have totally screwed this up oh wise ones. If I did I beg forgiveness and will submit myself for beatings in the "naughty/am not worthly" corner.

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Dear Sue....HI...I'm using Hal Reed's Analogous color wheel based on the Munsell system of 5 primaries. (colors of the rainbow)

You are correct :D...it's triadic on this color wheel. It's 3.3 steps away from the key color (each way) There are 10 colors on this wheel.

But this one is different from Grumbacher type color wheels - based on 3 Primary Colors. So the discords on this one wouldn't match discords on those.

The discords to Yellow on this color wheel would be Red Violet and Blue Green

The discords to Yellow on those color wheel's would be warm Reddish-Red Violet & Blueish-Blue Violet.

The triads based on the 10 system and 12 or more system is different also.

I hope that this doesn't confuse.

;)

mmcaloon
05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I feel like Charlie B, where's my excedrin.....OK I am going to my corner:o

Sue Galos
05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks Celeste - I just sort of needed a system to help me remember these discords - now where can i get to see the Hal Reed colour wheel?

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:20 PM
An easy way to remember discords:

1. Pick a main color anywhere on the color wheel.

2. Now pick a color directly opposite it. (complement color)

3. Don't use that one....but those that are a little bit further away from the complement on either side...

or

1. Pick a color as you key color.

2. Use anything on the opposite side for a little hot pepper.

Or

1. Pick a color

2. Use any color that doesn't have that color in it for accents.

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Those last two are not for discords...but for easy way to paint with colors period. ;)

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:26 PM
HI MIKE....LOL....you said what I said....same thing....it's not the same on regular color wheels. :D :D :D :D

Stay here and hang....it get's easier from now on. ;) That was the hypodermic....now the ice cream. :D :D :D :D

mmcaloon
05-10-2006, 04:26 PM
An easy way to remember discords:

1. Pick a main color anywhere on the color wheel.

2. Now pick a color directly opposite it. (complement color)

3. Don't use that one....but those that are a little bit further away from the complement on either side...

Just sneaking out for a bit.... Isn't that a split complement???

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi again Sue - here is the only place that I can find to see it:

http://www.artvideostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=CW0000

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Mike...now go one smidgen above split complement and you've GOT IT! :D :D :D

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I apologize for not being able to edit these posts, but the edit thingy is broken.

Except, Mike, they will be different discords on different color wheels.....but, hey. who cares? Any of those opposites will work to spice up a painting where it's needed - just don't mix the ice cream and the jalapenos together unless you want some grays/browns. ;)

CharM
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Char's brain on analogous colour:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/20514-egg-recipes.jpg

Char's brain on drugs... err... discords:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/20514-sunyside.gif

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Char - you're right....discords are just too hard to learn. Mostly because of the two different color wheels. That's why everyone I know is using the Analogous color wheel. The discords are right on the front....easy to see at each turn of the wheel. ;)

JustjoGA
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I think I'm lost and wandering already... You
guys might as well be talking Greek for all I understand
it.,,

My knowledge in a nutshell: red, yellow, blue (primaries)
everything else is a mix of any of those three and how did
discords get into color, I thought it was music :)

JustJo

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Again from 2 pages back -

Ok, for ease of discussion here are the discords

YELLOW - discords are BLUE GREEN & RED VIOLET -
ORANGE - discords are GREEN & VIOLET
RED - discords are GREEN & BLUE
REDVIOLET - discords YELLOW & BLUE GREEN
VIOLET/PUPLE - discords are GREEN & ORANGE
BLUE VIOLET - discords are GREEN & RED
BLUE - discords YELLOW GREEN & RED VIOLET
BLUE GREEN - discords are RED VIOLET & ORANGE
GREEN - discords are RED ORANGE & BLUE VIOLET
YELLOW GREEN - discords are BLUE and RED

Ok, hope that this helps. :D

It's all here ^^^^^^^ and there aren't any other discords as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
To quote Winston Churhill's statement to a graduation class.

"Never give UP. Never GIVE up. NEVER give up."

;)

laudesan
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I am loving this. Celeste you are just the best teacher!!!!!!! :heart: :clap: :thumbsup:

mirizar
05-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I voted for still life just because it's tough and challenging to me!

Michelle

JustjoGA
05-10-2006, 09:57 PM
LOL, Celeste... I don't think I'll ever understand
colors' relationships one to another ... And you
have explained it beautifully... The art classes
I took were just painting, using the colors the
instructor told us we needed... My art education
is obviously sadly lacking.

JustJo

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
This is the truth:

I can't cook....and I thought that the giblets were supposed to stay in the neck of the Thanksgiving turkey. :D :D :D

I thought that the bologna 'rind' was supposed to stay on the bologna. Leroy let me know that he doesn't eat the bologna rind.

Do egg shells really not go into the cake? They actually add a lot of little sparkly looking added crunch... like nuts...but tinier.... it's almost like them white sprinkle things that go on top of cupcakes. I wonder if that's why my cakes were not popular at the box lunch. Some don't like nuts either, ya know?

Why do I have to add baking powder.....I like flat cookies.

Actually, no one needs to know this type of thing....analogous...discords, split complement, primaries, etc. It's totally not needed.....but a tiny few of us like this stuff as much as a chef likes preparing a 7 course Italian meal.

I will never be a chef and I don't want to even learn what 'poaching' something means....the only poaching I want to know about concerns huntin'....and those trespassers better learn how to toe dance to six shooter music. ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
OOPs, cross posted with y'all. ;)

Thanks JJ, if ever someone doesn't understand me then ask me again. I'll figure out 30 ways to explain something. ;)
:heart: :D :D :D

Hi JO, ;)
As I stated above....my cooking skills are nada. It's like mowing the lawn....I ain't gonna learn how to do that cause then it would be my job. ;) :D :D :D

mmcaloon
05-10-2006, 10:47 PM
OH OH OH
I'm sitting here rethinking all of this and I look up and see
Key Color, Analogous, Complement, Split Complement, Triad, ......its all there
right in front of me.

I just remembered when I bought some Zabo designed brushes they sent me this color wheel thingy, just kinda tacked it on my wall and forgot it.

Colors might not be the same but the concept will work with my palette...Ahhhhh I now have a manipulative to play with (gives my brain a break)

Now to get us all on task...

Class since its looks like one our possibilities will be anlalogous paintings, let me ask this are we going to use a limited scheme 3-5 adjacent colors or can we use an expanded scheme of 3 colors on each side of the key color are does it matter.

mmcaloon
05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Well it looks like "get a life" is going to win after all.

Since my painting time is at wierd times and I have no room to set up a still life (don't think my water bucket is a suitable subject:lol: ). I will wish you all good luck and get out of your hair for this round. I will lurk and learn what I can while you have a go at it.

yahooserious
05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Could I please have some hot fudge on my ice cream??:confused:

I'll get back to this when we get home from the Mountain Smoke Fling Spring...and Ohio.....

Maybe I need a new color wheel....

Emilie

Celeste McCall
05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Mike - an interesting still life....how bowt paintin' that still life of your guitar against the wall? That'd be a good'un to see.....using 3-5 colors next to each other on the color wheel and a bit of spice from the other side?

Do you use a pick? How's about a parade of picks? That doesn't take up much room? Some of them are purdy....at least Leroy's picks are.....he just got a new Harley Davidson pick he's sure proud of. Got it from Milwaukee state along with his 'every key of harmonica set' that one could ever want. ;).....come to think of it......harmonica...wouldn't that be interesting to paint....parts of it? Or, a guitar, a harmonica, and some picks? :D

By the way....that coffee mug that you painted was a still life. It wuz real purdy too. Dang it.... I'm sorry, but I can't help talking Texan when a'nuther Texan is around. ;)

Kate Mc
05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Wonderful discussion.....

Kate

jaytee
05-11-2006, 04:59 AM
Mike..... way, way back......before all the colour confusion - Char pointed out it doesnt have to be a STILL life ( nor a moving one :lol::lol: ) but anything NOT PAINTED FROM PHOTOGRAPHS :D SO you could do the view from your window .....the view of your art room.. the view of your wife........... etc etc.... but from LIFE :D

jaydiva
05-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Celeste, i wish i wasn't so dense in understanding .... sorry i take so long.

I remember doing Goethe's colourwheel, it's 5 or 6 books or reading :eek: :D

Celeste McCall
05-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi Jutta, darlin' you don't have any trouble with color. You & Deb are the color queens! You keep doing what you're doing cause it works GREAT! :D :D :D :D :D :D

mmcaloon
05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Now if I prop up a photo and paint it. I wouldn't be painting something from a photo, I would be painting a painting of a photo that been proped up. Does that work.....:evil: :D :D Might even do it of trees.

Really need to work on getting out the tree vote...

jaytee
05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Now if I prop up a photo and paint it. I wouldn't be painting something from a photo, I would be painting a painting of a photo that been proped up. Does that work.....:evil: :D :D Might even do it of trees.

:lol: :lol:

Really need to work on getting out the tree vote...

you mean getting it out as in eliminating it or getting it out as in getting folk to vote :D:D

When I know Ill round up suitable action ..... Uschi, are you standing by ???:D

mmcaloon
05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Would mean getting people to vote for trees.....:D

:eek: Ducking Uschi now :D

jaytee
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Would mean getting people to vote for trees.....:D

:eek: Ducking Uschi now :D

Ducking would be a good move Mike............watch out in front and behind ;)

Uschi
05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Ducking would be a good move Mike............watch out in front and behind ;)

Mike, where is the icon for open mouthed astonishment:eek: :eek: and I thought you were a nice guy:angel: I think you derserve appropriate and severe reprocussions - go paint those darn trees - one of each kind:evil: that should do it:evil: lol: :lol: :lol:
Uschi

painterbear
05-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Mike,
You could start with quaking Aspensóbe sure to get the movement in the leaves. ;)

:D

Sylvia

mmcaloon
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I bet it won't be popular poplars for a while:D

sbunnage
05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
My, those are the words with no 'bark' on them:cat: . Seriously, I voted for trees - I like 'em:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I'm a tree-hugger and proud of it!:clap: :clap:

Sian

Uschi
05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
My, those are the words with no 'bark' on them:cat: . Seriously, I voted for trees - I like 'em:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I'm a tree-hugger and proud of it!:clap: :clap:

Sian

OOOOHHHH NOOOOO!!! Not another one:lol: :lol: :lol: EVERONE - don't let those tree huggers catch up!!!!!!

I love them too, just not to paint:p :lol: :lol:
Uschi

jaytee
05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Im a tree Planter not a tree Painter :lol:

mmcaloon
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
When I grow up I want to be a tree,
I want to make my home with the birds and the bees,
And the squirrels, they can count on me,
When I grow up to be a tree...

Uschi
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Im a tree Planter not a tree Painter :lol:

Now there is a woman with a clever remark - Ditto, Ditto!!!!:smug:
Uschi

Kate Mc
05-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Paintings are made by fools like me
But only Jaytee can plant a tree!

Can I claim to be a poet now? :smug:

Kate

jaytee
05-12-2006, 06:08 AM
:lol: Kate......a FANTASTIC poem ..........

..... as in fantasy ............something not grounded in truth :D :lol:

.........tree planting.......... easy peasy........when theyre only a few feet high :D I'd bring you a Kington churchyard Rowan grown from seed to Charmouth...... but I seem to remember you dont have a garden ??? Am I right ???

They're tricky to hug at that size though :D

PS... and they probably wouldnt let it through customs....!!!

Kate Mc
05-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Jaytee, actually I shamelessly plagarized the poem :o It's Joyce Kilmer:

Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

I'd love to have a Kington churchyard tree! We DO have a garden--quite a lovely one, too. Old, large azaleas and rhododendrons and a pond and a little stream. Lots and lots of lilacs too (they give me a terrible headache, tho....:( ) Some faboo OLD trees. And a wonderful curving hedge with a stone bench in it. But we dont' take care of it, there's a garden service. (I have a BLACK thumb). Our apartment building was built about 8 years ago in the established garden of an older house. They left the trees and all the wonderful stuff.

...but I can't plant anything in it. It's best that way. TRUST me.

Kate

Yorky
05-12-2006, 07:33 AM
...but I can't plant anything in it. It's best that way. TRUST me.

How about a bonsai on thr terrace, Kate?

Doug

Kate Mc
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I HAD one, Doug. :( (note the past tense) I'm really not good with plants. I have some big hydrangeas in pots, but one of my friends tells me when to do what with them. Now she tells me that we have to re-pot them. I hope that they make it......

....it's a good thing that we have a garden service!

Kate

mmcaloon
05-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Tree Huggers Unite....Lets get out the vote....

Vote trees and remember the words of John Gorka

:music: When I grow up I want to be a tree,
Want to make my home with the birds and the bees,
And the squirrels, they can count on me,
When I grow up to be a tree

:music: I'll let my joints get stiff with my feet in the ground
Take the winters off and settle down
Keep my clothes till they turn brown
When I grow up I wanted settle down

:music: I'm gonna reach I'm gonna reach
I'm gonna reach reach for the sky
I'm gonna reach T'm goona reach
I'm gonna reach til I know why

:music: When spring comes by I'm going get real green
When the dogs come by I'm gonna get real mean
On windy days I'll bend and lean
When I grow up I'm gonna get real green

:music: If I should fall in storm or slumber
Please don't turn me into lumber
I rather be a Louisville Slugger
Swinging for the seas

:music: I'm gonna reach I'm gonna reach
I'm gonna reach reach for the sky
I'm gonna reach T'm goona reach
I'm gonna reach til I know why

Sorry Ushci and JT just had to do it. the song has been in my head all day.:lol: :lol:

And I know we are going to paint from life.

sweetapplez
05-13-2006, 01:05 AM
I voted for trees too cause its something I really want to learn, but I know we are going to get a life. Ta da!

Uschi
05-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, you moany, groany, poetic and singing tree huggers, there is no reason why you couldn't do your trees from LIFE!!!!!! is there:rolleyes: :D

My house is only two rows of houses away from the forest and of course all the trees melt into each other, but there is one, my favourite, that towers way above the others, so still sitting in my dressing gown, I decided to paint it to cheer you up and show you that I am no chicken:smug: , of course I can only see the top across the roof tops. Also throwing in a quickie of baby birches from my garden, as seen from my studio window, they haven't fully leafed out yet, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it:lol: :lol:
Uschi

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2006/10602-trees.jpg

St Ives
05-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, you moany, groany, poetic and singing tree huggers, there is no reason why you couldn't do your trees from LIFE!!!!!! is there:rolleyes: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...now I feel it is safe to "out" myself and admit I voted for trees!:lol: :lol: :lol: Plein aire and trees!:smug:
so still sitting in my dressing gown...
I do much better in the morning....why didn't I think of this!!! :eek: A wonderful "tip", Uschi...thanks!:D (And I like your trees, too.:) )

mmcaloon
05-13-2006, 11:02 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Uschi :clap: :clap: :clap:

CharM
05-13-2006, 12:25 PM
This has been a LOT of fun already!!! And we haven't even started the next exercise!!! :lol:

I'll start up the KIUAN Exercise 2 Thread in the Learning Zone... you guys can begin your discussions while I'm off getting a young couple all hitched up... :D

(for those who don't know... I'm a Wedding Officiant)

We're going to paint from LIFE!!! Ain't it grande???