PDA

View Full Version : Week 19 Classical Art Journey

Nickel
05-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi and welcome to Classical Art Journey week 19!

We'd love to see your studies of classical art.
Any media or skill level is welcome.

If you have any questions, please ask.

This is a fun journey. Lots of nice people and
plenty of good art to enjoy. :wave:

Here is a nice activity for a May Day.

The Swing
Jean-Honoré Fragonard

31 7/8 x 25 1/8 inches (81 x 64 cm)
Wallace Collection, London, England

Style: Rococo, classical line and subject matter. Also identified with Rubenists color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2006/39040-fragonardswing.jpg

:wave: Nickel

tyree
05-06-2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2006/65063-rub2.jpg peter paul rubens ...portrait of a woman...a netherlands baroque painter 1577-1640...pastel on grey scale paper....just a quick study this week....trying to get to the a in the classical quickie!!! tyree:wink2:

Nickel
05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Susan, you are making me giggle. Ruben & Ruben. Lovely girl! Think I will study him too this week. Come on over and do an A. Would love your company. :) Nickel

You are so expressive. I love her. :heart:

Mony G
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi everybody!
It seems to me that this is a lazy week... are you all busy in the "quickies" forum perhaps? I'd better drop in for a look!

This is my post for this week: I had promised you something very different from the latest ones ... so here it is!.. a watercolour representing the "Basket of Fruit " by Caravaggio.

Hope you like it ... I like watercolour very much.... and perhaps you are glad to see something different from the usual drawings I had posted up to now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/77963-PC010004zip.jpg

So hope to hear from you soon !

Bye for now

Mony :wave:

Nickel
05-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Oh Mony, color, and water color too! How sweet! I like this basket of fruit very much. And I like Caravaggio too. It is interesting the way you have painted this work. Very delicate. Very nice.

I think maybe everyone is working or (giggle) lazy this week;they are not in the quickies either. I feel like I should just paint my head in a box. Lacking inspiration.

Worked planting yesterday. It's all planted, 12 roddies, a crape myrtle, a rose of sharon, ferns, some kind of grass things that grow 4x4 feet and a white lilac.

Got to work painting today. Nickel

Mony G
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Nickel!

I'm glad to know you like my painting, I have painted watercolour for many years... I have a reassuring, old tin watercolour box I had bought in London in the 70s I would never part with! I only recently picked up oil painting clases , which keep me busy on Saturdays!

Glad to know you like gardening, that's hard work: my Grandad used to say land should be at table's height ! , I don't have a big garden , just a few flowerbeds , but I enjoy it too, and now it's the right time of the year!

Be reading from you !

Mony :thumbsup:

Nickel
05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi Mony, many fine artists use watercolor! It is a hard medium to do well.
I don't do well :) Hope you enjoy the oil painting classes. It's all hard work to learn for me. But work I love.

hehe, I like things old, they have a warm, cherished, loving feeling to them.

see ya, Nickel

oh, That's funny your Grandpa, table height, if I had to grow food to eat, well that is realllyyyyy hard work.

tyree
05-11-2006, 10:43 PM
mony...your watercolour is exquisite..lovely colour and style...hi nickel!!!! tyree:wave:

Nickel
05-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Susan! How are you? I got to get busy on my entry this week.
In the morning. I will try, I promise. :)

Nickel
05-12-2006, 03:28 PM
What do you know? I did it. lol!
Might could have gotten a better picture,
camera died.

Crop is Madonna after
Madonna and Child with Saints (Montefeltro Altarpiece)
1472-74
Oil on panel, 248 x 170 cm
Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan

PIERO della FRANCESCA
(b. 1416, Borgo San Sepolcro, d. 1492, Borgo San Sepolcro)

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/p/piero/francesc/altar/mntefelt.html

My humble entry for our journey

Madonna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2006/39040-Image077regular.jpg

See ya :wave: Nickel

tyree
05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
nickel...shes quite lovely, beautiful feeling to her...like the mix of colour too...well done!!!! tyree:wave: :clap: :heart:

PushingPixels
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
:clap: she is beautiful Nickel - I love her.

PushingPixels
05-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi everybody!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2006/77963-PC010004zip.jpg

Beautiful job Mony - I've been in the garden all day so nothing to speak of to show. Maybe I will post a sketch.

Nickel
05-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks Girls, my daughter came in last night and said she looked like a truck hit her. lol, whatca going do? She was talking about the shade, I just shake my head. :wave: Nickel

rosebard
05-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Guys, Rose is so busy as usual with her weekly studies. I am in the quikies thread racing with Nickel. Isnt anybody going to come to enjoy the fun with us? This is week C. Good exercise to do a setup and whatever media study it from life. I am trying to put together a thread, hopely it will be this week, for us to study classical still life compositions. I have some cool small set ups worthy to look, get inspired and learn from.

Susan, I love to see everyweek your head studies. They are so cool!

Mony lovely job on Caravaggio basket of fruits. I have always loved that painting.

Nickel very good job too on the face. She looks serene.

Remember how I was inspired in Latour floral paintings? I managed to get fresh vase of Chrisantemus and I plan to use them this week for C entry at the classical quikies project based on Latour painting. I found some beautifull still life too, that is worthy to study and copy. So that is in my plans for week 20.

Where is Keith and Eilleen! Hi Barbara! :)

Fish<><
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Tyree - Another lovely portrait! You must have a bookshelf full of these lovely little paintings! :)
Mony - Beautiful painting! Not that your drawings were not just as great. ;)
Nickel - Great work! I agree that she's very lovely but it looks a little washed from the flash.

I unfortunately had to get rid my internet at home so posting my pics will be rough. I'll check in on breaks at work or when I get to the library though. :)

tyree
05-13-2006, 07:21 PM
thanks everyone for the very nice comments...i have tried 4 times to produce something for nickels abc forum, im so lousy at still life :( ....keith..sorry to here about your internet...always look forward to your interesting work,,,how about your local library???? tyree:wave:

Nickel
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi Rose, looking forward to the flower painting. :)

Hi Keith, thanks for letting us know about your visits here,
now we won't worry. I think she is washed out that much, my painting,
didn't use a flash. Not much color there for sure.

I'll try another pic after the batteries recharge.

Hi Susan, when you are ready, you will join the from life.
It is a journey too. The first steps are always the biggest.
You will be safe I hope there in taking the first steps.

If we can't be nice to each other and help each other you know,
well, it is just my way. I am not the best painter, still learning, most likely
will always be working at the easel trying to do the next one.
I paint like me, it is who I am. You are you.
We appreciate each other.
We are a good group, one of the best.

And we welcome anyone to join us.

It is always the journey in life, not the
destination. :) hehe, you ought to taste my homemade biscuits,
that is if you could bite into them,
they would break windows if anyone threw them. :)

Your pal, Nickel

PushingPixels
05-13-2006, 10:27 PM
:) not clasical - per sey but here is a sketch done earlier this week and a progress painting although not finished. Bard gave me some real good tips maybe she will happen to see the results.
Hope it's ok to post it here I don't get around much in the forums so this has become my one place I have to stop each week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2006/44004-pears1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2006/44004-pears2.jpg

have a wonerful Mother's day girls.

Tyree... beautiful lady I almost forgot to tell you very unigue perspective. You have such skill with faces...:thumbsup:

rosebard
05-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Barbara, you know I think it is lovely job you doing there. Thanks for sharing it with me earlier. :)

Nickel
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Barbara, lovely still life! What are your techniques here? I missed the tips!
I like the colors too, love the blue :)