PDA

View Full Version : Lady in Purple - Art Quilt

diane555
03-02-2002, 09:38 AM
I belong to a local quilters guild that holds an annual challenge. They choose one fabric (and your piece must have a visible piece of it showing) and give the theme. This years theme was the poem "When I am Old" I'm sure you've all heard it It's fun : "when I am old, I shall wear purple, with a red hat that doesn't match" etc etc. The fabric they chose was the purple stripey one on the top of her dress.

Anyway, this is what I came up with. It's about 18" X 30" and incoorporates lots of different fabrics, cottons, laces, nylon tulle, felts, overlays etc. It was great fun to do.
The pieces were cut and tacked lightly in place until it was finished, then I layered it with thing quilt batting, and backing material and quilted it all together on my machine. The members of the guild vote on the entires. I won 3rd prize for mine. Sorry the pic is not better.

Di :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2002/purple1b.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2002/purple2b.jpg

Leaflin
03-02-2002, 10:39 AM
:clap: Diane....I Love This :clap:
How wonderfully creative.
We must start a Wet Canvas "Red Hat Society"

joemajury
03-03-2002, 03:18 PM
LuLu could join, she has one

Joe
;) ;)

Ivyleaf
03-05-2002, 04:33 AM
LOL! That is great! Congrats on your win! Love the skirt!

:) :) :)
Ivy

ironhorse
03-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Wow I love this. I love the poemit go's to as well ;)
I adminre anyone who can sew anthing. I've been trying for years to find someone willling to trade a painting for a quilt. No one is ever interested???
I'm guessing it's almost a too personal art fourm?
Twyla

diane555
03-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Thanks all, for the nice comments.
Leaflin: Sign me up for that society!!! My hubby already thinks I'm a little different and my 15 yr old son says he thinks that poem may well have been written for me :D

Ironhorse: I don't think it's a too personal art form. I've given away half the quilts I've ever made and traded a couple of my miniatures for other artits creations. Guess it all depends on the quilter. But then, I've also done the same with my paintings over the yrs.

Thanks again for looking.

Di

artbabe21
03-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now you are really tempting me!! This is incredible, the skirt happens to be my fave colors so I am relating to it even more!! I LOVE it------since I have most the fabric scraps I could give it a try. I finally threw out my older stash from the early 70's hoping those colors didn't resurface, but shoot, they always do!! I love the batiks------gorgeous, delicious patterns & colors!! thanks for sharing this!!
Cathleen~

sassybird
03-18-2002, 10:14 PM
What a wonderful bit of fancy to pass down in the generations!
The whole quilt is beautiful, but the dress and the brick work is great! Have you ever worked with old silk ties? I used to make skirts out of them in the 70's, and got good compensation for my work, because I did all hand sewing.

diane555
03-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi Artbabe21. Thanks for the nice comments. I hope you do give it a try. Because I quilt mine after they are finished I use a new product called Roxanne Glue-Baste-It...a little goes a long way and it can be washed out later with water. If I am not going to quilt or sew them I use regular tacky white glue like Aleene's Quick dry. yeh, those batiks are a fav of mine also. Can't ever leave a sale without a few more!

Sassybird: Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I have worked with silk ties. I currently have a drawer full of my hubby's fathers ties that I want to use in new project of siome sort. The fabrics are wonderful to touch and look at. I plan a quilt for my husband and then all the left over bits will be for art :)

Di

Loxley
03-20-2002, 10:26 PM
What a wonderful quilt you made here. Looks like a lot of time, love and thought went into it not to mention the talent you have.This is really beautiful. :clap: :clap: