PDA

View Full Version : Jon & Sparky - Fabric collage

diane555
03-02-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi all

I have to stop in this forum more often...I'm missing all this cool stuff. Anyway, thought I'd post this fabric piece I did of my son at 8 yrs old with his pet rat "Sparky". Most of this is applied with glues or fusible fabric webbing...the hair is placed over thin layeres of quilt batting to raise it up , rat, cheeks etc are stuffed slightly to give the piece a 3-D effect. Comments & critiques welcome, as always :)

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2002/jon.jpg

joemajury
03-02-2002, 09:00 AM
This is really neat, but I think its the sort of piece, where a step by step would help explain just how you did this.
It would be very interesting to see.

Joe
;) ;)

Leaflin
03-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Hi Diane :)
This is really neat.
I love the texture on the hair.
Is it painted, appliqued or both?

diane555
03-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi Joe: Thanks for the nice comments. I'll se what I can come up with on that topic :)

Leaflin: Thank you also. All piece were applied to a background paper with adhesives of one sort or another. The colors are all from the fabrics, with a little ink added afterward. No paint. The hair looks more textured because each of it's layers it sits above the other layers. Kind of hard to see in a photo tho.

Di :)

Mae
03-07-2002, 08:59 PM
very appealing to the eye and creative Diane! it must take you a long time to put this art together -magnificent!

diane555
03-08-2002, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Mae. This was one of the first I did in fabric. I think my fabric pieces have acquired a more painterly look since I did this one. This one was simply meant to be framed while the ones I do now are quilted and finshed to hang up independently. It can take a while...sometimes it seems like you're repeating steps ...drawing the same things again & again onto different things, but I love working with fabrics. :)
Di

sassybird
03-11-2002, 02:24 AM
I'm really behind looking at peoples work. Thank your for the explanation of how you achieved the effects in the fiber portrait.
I enjoy this piece. How did your son react?

diane555
03-11-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi sassybird

I get behind all the time because I spend so much time in the sculpture forum I suppose. My son really liked this at the time but now that I have spent several years doing this kind of art I would like to redo tho this one a little differently. Maybe more borders, quilted and embelished with some of his things from when he was younger etc. Thanks for looking.

Di

artbabe21
03-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Diane!! I LOVE this fabric piece!! So hard to believe it is fabric and NOT paint. How long does it take you to do a piece? I love fabrics but not sure I have the patience!! I certainly admire your tenacity!
Cathleen~

diane555
03-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi Artbabe21

Thanks for the nice comments. This was one of my early pieces and because it was pretty basic it took only a couple days...with most of that time spent choosing fabrics. the pieces I do now take me much longer, mainly becuase they are often quilted now, but I enjoy the process so much. I've never found it required much patience but that may be due to the fact that I enjoy fussy-cutting things. Thanks for looking.

Di :0