PDA

View Full Version : Classical Quickies

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi and welcome to a new project in the Classical Sub-forum. Thanks for stopping by to read the opening thread. :wave:

Classical Quickies

These programs will focus at building your skill to become a better artist. Any media and all skill levels are welcomed. However, since I am an oil painter, the program is explained along these lines. Those of you who do pencil drawings, acrylic, gouache, watercolor, pastels, and color pencil are welcomed to suggest information to help others learn.

This program is 26 weeks.

It is painting from life, your set-up based on your studies of classical compositions and techniques.

Subjects for your paintings will follow the letters of the alphabet; this week will start with the letter A. The next week will proceed with the letter B. Subject choice is at your pleasure.

There is a limit of two (2 ) hours per painting start to finish.
(Excludes set-up and thinking time)

There is a limit to three (3) items per painting; at least one of the three items must match the letter of the week.
(Excludes background, table, walls, etc.)

In other words if you have one apple and one orange on one plate on a table it counts as three items plus the apple meets the program requirement of one item having the letter of the week A.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Ideas for the letter A

Aardvark
Abominable Snowman
Accountant
Acetone
Air gun
Air conditioner
Alcohol
Almanac
Altar
Ant
Apple
Apron
Antelope
Armband
Ashtray
Ass as in Donkey
Azalea

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:41 PM
For someone wanting to learn from the very basic starting point of painting a three dimensional item and wanting to learn from the very start what colors can do try using
one cool and one warm hue plus white to start with in a limited number of value ranges.

An example of a learning palette:

burnt sienna & ultramarine & titanium white

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Quotes of WC members about palette hues

RiverRat

You might want to start with just a few pigments and build out from there. If you were to start with a compliment pair plus a white you can learn to push paint around without a huge expense. Possible pairs I would suggest are Venetian red and Prussian blue, burnt sienna and ultramarine blue or raw sienna and French ultramarine blue. (Make sure its French, tends toward violet.) Note that there is a warm and a cool color in each pair and you've got a full range of values. You already know how to model form with value, with one of these pairs you can learn to turn a form with color temperature. That being said, its not the way I learned, but I wish it had been.

JamieW

The best way to discover the workings of that palette is to start with the Cad Lemon, Permanent Red Medium (Rembrandt), and the darkest, best ultramarine you can find, plus titanium white.

Visualone

Pick one red one yellow, one blue and white and start making some color charts and see just how many colors you can mix with just these three colors

Andrewjudd
Ivory black, yellow ochre and cadmium red plus white: Ivory black substitutes for a blue giving you delicate cools.... try it!
I like to try this when I'm painting in a cafe or in poor lighting conditions where mixing the right colour becomes almost secondary to getting the values right.

Titanium

Use a limited palette.
Traditionally,

It's White, Yellow Ochre, Earth Red, Ivory Black.

Learn to paint opaquely first. Forget about glazes.

When you can control the paint/brush[bristle],
thin coats at first[brush pressure],later texture in the lights[but remember texture at first is a response to what you see in nature [tree's bark, rough cloth].

Also try to stay at life size to do texture. It’s easiest.

When you can paint something in front of you accurately,
you can explore from memory/imagination.
[always keep up your drawing along the way.]

Keep the medium to minimum or not at all.
Same for solvent.[use many brushes and wipe them clean with paper/rags].Solvent makes everything more difficult to achieve.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Some Classical Painters you may wish to research for ideas for these Quickies.

Hieronymus Bosch
Peter Paul Rubens
Pieter Brueghel
Frans Hals
Goya
Joachim Patinir

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Alla Prima : One phase painting : Wet-on-wet

Imprimatura: a thin transparent veil of color

Transparent color such as: burnt sienna, umber, viridian, and ocher are common for an imprimatura.

Normally, no underpainting is used.

A rigid support (panel) may work better because of less tooth of the surface.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Palette of Renaissance masters such as Bellini, Titian, or Tintoretto

Warm Colors

Naples yellow
Ocher
Raw sienna
Cadmium yellow
Cadmium red
Venetian red
Burt sienna
Burnt/raw umber
Ivory black
Alizarin crimson
Flake white

Cool

Ultramarine
Viridian green
Prussian blue

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Impressionist Palette & Technique

Ultramarine Blue
Viridian
Ocher
Raw/Burnt Sienna
Cadmium Yellow & Red
Iron oxide Red
Alizarin Crimson
White

Black and umber were not used.

Shadows are colorful.

Contours are diffused.

Colors are not subdued.

No glazing.

Done on a white canvas without underpainting.

Paint is opaque

Linear perspective is immaterial.

Aerial perspective the progressive fade-out of hue in the distance is used meaning that to a degree Impressionism is a non-modern conception.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Basic Diluents for oil paints

Linseed/walnut/poppy/stand oil and turpentine/mineral spirits

Viscosity means the capacity of a liquid to flow, less viscous more free flowing. Viscosity promotes fusion and allows wet-on-wet techniques desired.

Long paint comes off the brush in a flowing fashion. Levels.
Short paint is stiff paint. Used to form sharp areas.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Chiaroscuro: study of Light & Shade should allow your art a three-dimensional quality.

Keeping shadows transparent equals more luminous shadows.

Nickel
05-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Contours

1) Hard Edge: more delineation
Lucas Cranach “Judgment of Paris

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2006/39040-paris.jpg

2) Soft Edge: painterly
See El Greco “St. John’s Vision of the Mysteries of the Apocalypse”

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2006/39040-elgreco62.jpg

Nickel
05-02-2006, 07:00 PM
This is all I have now to get us started. Thanks for reading and if you want to add to this please feel free.

I am not perfect and I don’t know everything. I want to learn and would like to have your company in this new journey. I know many of us are already loaded with projects. Please work the 26 weeks into how long you need. The goal is to learn and have fun as friends do while learning.

I look forward to seeing your work from life. Nickel :wave:

rosebard
05-02-2006, 07:22 PM
:clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is great Nickel. One more of your great ideias dear. Thanks so much for taking the time to prepare this and giving us an excellent way to start!!

Be back soon!! :)

tyree
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
nickel....i think its a great idea!!!! i wish i had some training in oil or acrylics...but may try your idea with a limited colour of graphite and conte...tyree:wave: :wink2:

bjs0704
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM
It looks like fun, Nickel!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barb Solomon:cat:

Anita Murphy
05-02-2006, 10:22 PM
This looks great Nickel. I love the idea of limited time. I'm up to do this - it will make me make sure I do something artistic every week!

Hmmm off to ponder A's! WOnder if I could do a self portrait! :D

Nickel
05-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Girls! Glad it sounds fun. Let's have a good time!
Anita would be good for an A :D I love it!

Nickel
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Thursday's Apple

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2006/39040-apple01.jpg

:wave: Nickel

bjs0704
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Nickel - Wonderful color! The apple looks delicious! You did a great job on this little sketch!

rosebard
05-04-2006, 05:38 PM
What lovely colors! That red apple looks delicious. Great job!

What approach did you take! Did you work directly into colors, or did you sketch it first with charcoal, or did you placed the value first!

I got the apple today! A is for Apple. This is classic, lolol. :)

See you! :)

tyree
05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
nickel...luscious colour, great lighting, bg is wonderful!!!!! tyree:clap: :thumbsup: :wink2: :wave: :heart:

Anita Murphy
05-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Appealingly attractive apple!!! :D

Going to do my A picture tomorrow!

Nickel
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Food for thought. :D

Just a few words for our letter B

Ball
Bangle bracelet
Banjo
Bell
Book
Bottle
Bread
Brown paper bag
Bubble
Bull Dog

Nickel

Think I will go for a book for sure. :D :wave:

rosebard
05-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Guys!! Here I am posting my first entry for A week! It is just mars black over gessoad hardboard. I will be back in an hour with the final colors. I just stopped to post it. See you later then!

Thanks Nickel. I am trying to work on the values first than the colors over it. It works well, but need a very absorvent ground to work on with paint and turp and than thicker with colors. I am experimenting, hope it works. :)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/rosebard/peonia077.jpg

rosebard
05-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey girls. I am back, an hour as I have said. But I cant believe I have done it that fast. Well it is not that big anyway.

Nickel, please excuse me this A week. I have used a cloth and counted the candle and candle holder as ONE piece. I really wanted to do something for Anitas project, and couldnt figure out another way. So I tried to kill two rabbits with only one shoot! :) :) :)

I am sure you wont mind! But it is really challenge to do it with only 3 objects, I always feel I want to add something else. lololol

8" X 12.5"
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/rosebard/Appledelicious.jpg

Nickel
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Rose, I am so proud of you :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beautiful setup and just lovely colors.
I love it and you did great!

Isn't it fun? I think so. :D

And no I don't mind, we have to be artists. :)
It is more important to work close to the time limit
then the item limit.

rosebard
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks Nickel. You always so cool with your words of encoragement to me. :)

Nickel
05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I really like the color you used on the candle.
For some reason, it looks yummy like carmel.
What is it?

:)

Nickel
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Ok a test.

What is common to both Rose and my painting?????

You get a prize if you guess right.

Hint: Not the apple.

rosebard
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Is it something to do with the composition?

rosebard
05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
On the candle I used yellow oxide, mars black, indian yellow, and tiny bit of lemon yellow, raw umber and bt umber. But I had other colors in the palette too. :)

Glad you liked the candle Nickel. :)

Nickel
05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey Rose, do you see something in the composition that is similar?

rosebard
05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Nickel, only thing I may think I have seeing was triangle shapes on the composition; Not sure if that is really in yours, but I sort of see it. I did use it on mine.

Did I win a prize!!! :)

Nickel
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Rose you get a prize just for guessing.

A candellight dinner for two.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2006/39040-candlelightdiners.gif

What I see similar

A triadic color scheme.

Red, yellow, blue

rosebard
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM
A candlelight dinner is good. Wonder if I get the answer right next time what the prize will be. :)

That was cool, the triadic color scheme. :)

Nickel
05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I'll keep you guessing till next time. :)

Nickel
05-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Rose, I am having a fit with just three items. Can't put it together.

Limit of items is off, do as many as you want.
Still stay within the time frame.

What do you think? Is this better to work with no limit on the setup items?
Allows more creativity I think.

Let me know.

Nickel

rosebard
05-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Nickel, well, I agree that may be hard to put objects together and make them just three. This week for instance, I have used a candle holder and a candle, then a porcelain little vase that looked strange so I got few chrisantemos to include, and the Bible as my B object!

The number of items will make a diference on the time frame too. And so is the size of the support we use. I am experimenting with hardboard primed with acrylic gesso and modelling paste. It is very absorvent so I start with a drawing, then a wash in to work out tone with a mono color, then I paint more opaquely on top of it. As the surface is absovent it absorves rather well the paint too.

Yesterday the support was 11.5'' X 15.5". I worked out the drawing on a tracing paper, same size as canvas, then with charcoal I transfered to canvas using the tracing paper. The wash in is thinned with turp, and it is hard to control. The support absorves so quik, I cant even blend, so it is sort of rough underpainting in this case. This stage I take about 30 minutes or so, then I can start painting imediately on top.

But this setup really took sometime to work on. I had hard time to get that porcelain vase and the candle with so much detail to work on. So I think it depends on the number of items, the details that the items have, and how hard would be to paint them in a certain time. I try to do it as quik as possible, that is why I am striving to find a process that work, so I can use it on my portrait oil sessions. Not sure how long this one took but I it was probably around total 4 hours.

I am searching still life paintings to study composition. Those ones that have few objects. As soon I have them, I will start a thread. STudy compositions have being a goal lately and this project is pretty helpfull. Thanks Nickel.

So here it is my Week B entry: My Old Bible

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2006/54461-momentoflightrubinunder.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2006/54461-momentoflightcolor.jpg

Nickel
05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Rose I like your painting very much. How ever you are doing it; it seems to work well! :)

I actually did one this morning too, not as pretty as yours, but later I can work on fixing it some. ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2006/39040-Image018.jpg

A thread on pics for comp will be very good :) I'd enjoy that a lot.

rosebard
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Nickel dear! It is really good to do it at least once a week. If you have the time try it out even more. I like the color scheme you used in this one. Nice and very subtle. You have a good start there. The book is particular nice. Well done and keep up the good work.

You know when I decided to paint from life it was a nightmare and often thought I would give up. This way I am painting now, I mean the support is quite helping the painting come along. And I am enjoying the results better now.

I am finding some interesting paintings with few objects that worth to have a look to get comp ideias.

I will try to get those ready soon. :)

tyree
05-15-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2006/65063-cup.jpg my c for the week...my favorite cup...graphite on charcoal paper...two hour mark....will try to get my a and b this week also nickel....my work could use some tweaks, but stopped at the mark...freehand only....tyree:wave: :)

Nickel
05-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh Barvo Susan!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeah!
I actually like the composition very much!
I like the crop.
I am so proud of you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I love White Castle Burgers. French Fries in the cup right? They look like
frys to me. It's my husbands fault that everything looks like food to me.
I like how (the fries) shape at the top echos the crown of WC logo in the cup.That is pretty cool and a good thing to have in a composition.
I think it is recommended for variety to vary the vertical lines, or any line, home style fries for an example compared to shoestrings fries. I am still learning. Other things are to vary and echo values. Will always be learning.
I have a link to a good article. Will get it and come back. I thought it was really good.

So what do you think? You like this? Did you have fun?
I know it is hard to do a finished work in two hours, it is not about a finished work but about learning. At least for me. If I really like the piece I have done, I can rework it or finish it later or save it or cry over it if it is really bad. Not really, just kidding on that, not going to cry over mistakes in my art.

I know a few artists that take years to do a piece of art.

I am so happy you have taken the first step. :heart:

ok

I am back this is the article, it is really good.

"ASPECTS OF COMPOSITION"

Author: jackiesimmonds, Contributing Editor

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1805/333/

rosebard
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Susan this is just wonderfull!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: I agree with Nickel that is just a learning experience. We using diferente medias for diferent reasons. I loved you sketch. So nice to have you here taking up this project with us. So cool!!!

Nickel thanks for the link about composition. I forgot to check WC! :)

tyree
05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
thats way to funny:lol: :lol: there suppose to be my derwent coloured pencils:lol: :lol: :lol: but i like the fries idea much much better:lol: :lol: :lol: tyree:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Nickel
05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
thats way to funny:lol: :lol: there suppose to be my derwent coloured pencils:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh my :o

with friends like me. .. well you know the story...:)

guess you can tell I don't have a cup of derwents. of course I thought
Rose's salad forks were breadsticks. It all resembles food to me :o :lol:

:wave: I still like it lots even though I can't eat it. :D :heart: Nickel

tyree
05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2006/65063-berries.jpg b study, berries!!!! graphite with coloured pencil and pastel...tyree:wave:

Nickel
05-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Beautiful strawberries Susan, I love the highlights! They look juicy! :)

rosebard
05-20-2006, 08:39 PM
The strawbery looks yummy Susan. Lovely colors.

Hope I can get into my chrisantemus tomorrow. I am eager and my poor flowers are not looking so happy. :(

bjs0704
05-21-2006, 12:09 AM
So far, all I have is a quick sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2006/11410-appleontable.jpg

rosebard
05-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Barb, nice to seeyou joining the fun! So cool! :)

My C entry: A vase of Chrisantemus

I took 3 hours on this one. Today I started directly into colors instead of a value study. It is 12'' X13'', oil on mdf primed with acrylic gesso. :)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/rosebard/beloscrisantemus3rez.jpg

bjs0704
05-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Rose - The mums are lovely!:clap: :clap: :clap:

You did a great job with everything!

Nickel
05-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!Welcome Barb to the Quickie Gang!
Love your apple! and love the design in the picture too!
Lovely and inspiring! Inspiring to eat! :)
Can't wait to see the colors!

Rose, direct painter! Lovely flowers, and they smell really good!
Bravo! I really like the glass and highlight and reflection. Pretty

bjs0704
05-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks, Rose! Thanks, Nickel! :)

rosebard
05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Barb! Not sure the glass look like a glass yet. But I will keep practicing. :) Have you tried your glass vase yet??

Rose, direct painter!

Me are you sure! Oh gosh there goes my career as an indirect painter. LOLOLOL Thanks dear. You so sweet. :)

tyree
05-21-2006, 11:16 PM
barb...a great start, like the composition very much...rose...how very lovely and romantic....hi nickel!!!!! tyree:angel:

bjs0704
05-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks for asking, Rose! I'm wanting to put a project together about doing glass for our classical forum, but I've been busy lately with school. Hopefully, I can get started on it soon!

Nickel
05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Susan! :wave: :)
Hi Barb, I hope you and Rose will do us a thread on doing glass.
It would be fun to do different types of glass in different media on
different supports with different mediums etc.

You know me, I'm in it for the fun :D
And cause I can't carry a tune :music: lalalalaaaaaa:p
Ok, I am leaving now, you can remove your fingers from
your ears. ;)

bjs0704
05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm looking forward to the project too! I'm writing up another article on Mars (Greek mythology), also!

ArtyLady
05-22-2006, 11:32 PM
This sounds tremendous. If it's not too late I would like to join and I shall do my A and B within the next couple of days to catch up

Nickel
05-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi ya Quickies! What's up?

Well I am posting my C.
It's acrylic, and flat as a pancake.

Plus two camera hounds, wanting food, wanting attention.
Wouldn't move but just sit and look
So ignore them if you can, and anything else you don't want to look at

lol

My C is for chair.

I think I should buy some of those mediums for acrylics
nah,
anyway, it is good that it was acrylic,
hubby sat on it cause I forgot and left it in
"his chair" not my chair. :eek:
no harm was done to these animals or chair in the creation of this painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2006/39040-quickiechair.jpg

tyree
05-25-2006, 10:35 PM
nickel....how creative, and look at those cute munchkins!!!! what a neat looking area....im trying to come up with a D and i still owe a A....my mojo disappeared this week:( try again tomorrow:D tyree:wave:

rosebard
05-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Nice to meet you Liz! Welcome onboard on Classical Art forum!!

Nickel that is fantastic. I loved it, really did!! :)

I was thinking of doing Dessert for D. not sure yet, if I do a strawbery cake or what?? How about nickel?? food food food, is Nickels name. LOLOLOL

An article Barb!! How Coool!! :)

Looking forward to yours Susan. :)

Nickel
05-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for taking a look and your comments girls.

Hi Susan, I am sorry about mojo, but what is a mojo?

Hi Rose! Yep love food.
I am blocked on a D to do.
Donuts maybe :wave:
Nickel

ArtyLady
06-01-2006, 02:36 AM
Here is my contribution to "C" - a bowl of yummy cherries

ArtyLady
06-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Here is my contribution to "C" - a bowl of yummy cherrieshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2006/62344-Cherries.jpg

Nickel
06-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Liz, your cherries look delicious! Love the soft colors and the highlights on the cherries! Makes me want a piece of pie!!!! Is this watercolor?

Great Job!

Nickel

tyree
06-01-2006, 09:13 PM
liz...how wonderful, love all the colours of the cherries too!!!! tyree:wave: :clap: :D

rosebard
06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Arent cheries yummy?! Liz good job on yours. It does look good to eat. Love the highlights and how it shines. :) :) :)

I stucked in the Dessert thing. Didnt cook it yet, and was the only thing I could think of. I thought of adding a glass of champagne or maybe a bottle too. I will keep it in mind though. Are we in Week EEEEE? Last couple of weeks my head is not working that well, so please help me.

ArtyLady
06-07-2006, 05:06 AM
I have a question (? etiquette). Do we move on to the next alpha, or do we wait and do it as a group? I painted a bowl of cherries (C) and am waiting for direction - don't want to step on any toes.

The paintings/drawings here are all wonderful too.

rosebard
06-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Liz! Go ahead and have fun. Post what you have done for our admiration. And jump on next letter without a problem. I havent had the actual time to do it for the last couple of weeks. I stucked in week D, which I planned to do a dessert (strawberry cake), a bottle of champane (not real one, lolol) and a flute with some bubbles. I really want to work on this composition but didnt have the time to bake this cake and paint it yet. Havent told yet what I am going to do for letters E and F. I guess I will paint them randomly.

Looking forward to see your next entry Liz!!

Hi Susan how is your classical quikies going?

Hi Nickel! :) :) :)

tyree
06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
hi everyone....having trouble with coming up with my own creativity....im okay with photos but not with my own design:confused: ....i will try to produce something this week....tyree:crying:

Nickel
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Don't cry, me too, we will knock down the door together! (Hug)
I'll work on mine tomorrow.

rosebard
06-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Come on Girls! We going to make it.

Susan, yep no neet to cry! Nickel did suggest looking into masters compositions for ideias remember? Still life is great because you can use simple objects around the house to come up with something.

I will keep trying as soon as I have more time to look into more simple still life ideias for the composition thread.

I found today when I was in a meeting in our community art center big boxes of gesso stuff.. angels, hands, all sort of interesting things that were offered to me to take home and use. I am going to have a look at them and collect tomorrow. I bought a cheap interesting glass, and got a paint specially to make transparent glass to turn into colorfull glass.

Yeah yeah, me busy bee!!! LOLOL Nickel does bees have toes??? That was funny dear. Yeah Liz Nickel is right. We dont mind that stuff here, we all having fun. :)

Nickel
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

pass me the duck please :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/39040-quickieduck.jpg

tyree
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM
nickel....how creative you are....love the texture to it!!!! wonderful D.....tyree:heart: :clap: :wave: :lol:

Nickel
06-08-2006, 06:45 PM
quack is more like it :D thank goodness I am pass the hangup on D, lol.
thanks Susan

rosebard
06-08-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif Nickel!!!!!

Nickel
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
ok what to do with an E?
eggplant, egg, elephant, oops, don't have one or do I :D

rosebard
06-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Eggs are an excellent ideia for E Nickel. Eggs has variety in shape and color. Good also for value study and color mixing. :)

rosebard
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Spent the day studying the rule of thirds and golden ratio. Then in the end of the day I took few eggs and this egg holder and tried to work something out. What do you think guys? Did it work out compositionaly at all?

Just a sketch study.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/54461-demopera_099.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/54461-demopera_100.jpg

Nickel
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Rose it is hard to tell. I think if I had some color to show a transition
in distance behind the chicken it would help.
Right now, it looks to me to not have enough room (space) around the chicken. It's head is to close to the top of the grid. I would crop it more like this. What do you think of these?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/39040-rose1.jpg

or this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/39040-rose2.jpg

ArtyLady
06-10-2006, 04:35 AM
I'm struggling with "D". Looks like there will be some more ducks coming up shortly.

Nickel
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Liz another duck would be great.
Mine is kind of lonely. :D

rosebard
06-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Nickel, not sure I would be brave to paint this. But I can try actually. I will try it out in another place. Hold on and lets see how it comes out. :)

Liz, chickens, duckes all welcome. :)

ArtyLady
06-10-2006, 06:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2006/62344-Ducks.jpg

OK, D is for DUCKS! - well the photo looked like ducks to me. LOL.
(I cheated, as this is also a painting for another challenge, sorry)

Nickel
06-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Liz, love the ducks :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now mine is not lonely anymore :thumbsup:
Hi ya Rose!
Hi ya Susan!

rosebard
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Right Liz, but the duckes are cute anyway, no matter it was from WDE. LOLOL

Hi Nickel. I hope to be brave and paint that chicken basket for eggs and some eggs too ofcourse!

ArtyLady
06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Has anyone submitted "E" yet? I'm thinking, maybe elephants, and perhaps even trying out chinese watercolour.

rosebard
06-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I am still thinking how I am going to get that chicken eggs holder to look like it actually. I am going to use Nickel's suggestion and filling in the space around by finding a nice place in the kitchen. And for the D painting, the strawbery is very expensive at the moment, but I still have the composition in mind.

I got beatifull blues glasses I am planning to use for G. But no clue yet what I am going to do for F. Food??? Nickel will for sure like the suggestion.

Guys check out the new article from Michael Newberry. Quite nice way of seeing composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/8254/701

Who is posting next?? :) :) :)

rosebard
06-19-2006, 07:10 AM
LOLOL Nickel!!

Thanks. Yep I am trying to add this knowledge about the cornes into this still life set up some how. Not easy though. Cezane was Cezane right? And an scene like a room has more possibilities than a table and a bg alone with stuff in it.

I am working on bigger paintings and that still life, which was a bit time consumer. I am eager to do a quik one again. But I aint sure I can keep up with the letter though. What I feel like doing a quik study does not usually fit into the week letter. :( But I am going to try.

Good luck NIckel with the elephant!

Liz are you goiing to paint a real one! :) I mean elephant! Chinese watercolor looks quite cool. Looking forward to it. :)

rosebard
06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Nickel!

Week "D"and "E" :) Dishes and Eggs

This isnt what I expected to come up with. But today I wasnt feeling like touching any of my work in progress and not really on the mood to start other that I should. So I thought this was good time to try out one of the current projects in CA. As working from life is like an obsession lately I opted for the Classical Quikies.

I went wrongly with my palette choice from the start, which created this sort of muddy look. Both cups are sort of pale colors but porcelain it is reflective, didnt know how to work that out. The eggs color were a pain to get and I still dont think I did it. Oh well, good try anyway, may work on it sometime. Here it is less than an hour of mess. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2006/54461-demopera_235.jpg

Nickel
06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Rose!!!! What a nice painting and you lol killed two birds (d & e) with one stone so to speak. The colors are not so bad, really! And I like the egg hiding in the cup. Did you draw this one out first or just start in with brush & paint?It is So cute. I was thinking today of going back to some of the early quickies and working them some more. I still haven't done my e. I still like your chicken. That would make a interesting painting. Thank goodness it is only Thursday, still need to work on my journey. Nickel

rosebard
06-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi Nickel, straight into paint! Yep I liked how the objects were placed. I thought they looked interesting. I needed some fun with paint today. This was fun.

Oh, thursday already!! Got not miss the ride from week 26!!! :)