PDA

View Full Version : EBAY WARNING Unauthorised Access

Dark_Shades
05-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi

thought I would just warn you of what happened to me the other day. I sell and buy on Ebay quite alot, and received an angry email from supposedly someone I had bought from ??? they said I had not paid, and the email seemed completely kosher, Logo's .... links, item number etc.... so of course, I clicked on the link, unsure; perhaps I had missed a payment to someone..... the link opened up to the sign in page for EBAY, my user name was missing ..... which sometimes is so, as if you delete cookies etc, it will...... so not really thinking any further...... I signed in :eek: - the item number of course did not show anything....... THEN I realised it was a SCAM...... looking at the url address bar, it was not from EBAY directly, but a spin off name.... I immediately went to the EBAY site in a new address bar and changed my password immediately........ thinking that I was safe, as acted quickly.... and sent all the emails off to [email protected] com + [email protected] + [email protected]
Just now, checking my emails, I could see a number of emails from EBay ...... Someone HAS Got into my account, and actually USED it from Australia....... trying to sell on a ONE Day Listing, a Nokia phone......... luckily for me, EBAY somehow were alerted to this immediately, and realised it was an Unauthorised Thirdy Party, and has cancelled the Listing and sent me a New Password...........

PLEASE BE AWARE AND WARNED ......

Tressa
05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
hmmm...interesting..gotta be on your toes for low lifes...
Tres

Shari
05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the warning, I also gor a suspicious email but called ebay right away and found out it was also a scam. In this day and age, also, it is very wise to NOT USE MICROSCOFT WINDOWS as your browser. I have a mac, but on a PC you can switch to Mozilla Firefox as your browser and it is much safer. It is all too easy for almost anyone with the right software to get all your passwords and get into your financial accounts on microsoft windows. Firefox is safest, but a mac is even safer.

Khadres
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
You CALLED Ebay???? PLEASE give me that phone number!?!?!?! I looked and looked and looked one time when I had a problem for a place to contact them other than email and couldn't find anything at all.

Seems there is ALWAYS someone out there ready to steal/scam anything they can.

Kathryn Wilson
05-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting this Dawn - there are real scum-bags in this world always trying to make a fast buck off someone else.

Anda G
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
I have never had anything to do with ebay and I get email "from them".

You are such a good writer. I really felt for you reading this. Hope it never happens again.

Andagail

Laura Shelley
05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes, the basic rule is never to click on a link in email, no matter what. If you hover your mouse cursor over the link without clicking, you will see the actual URL that it will send you to. However, the scamsters sometimes manage to disguise themselves under plausible addresses, so that's by no means foolproof.

What to do? Close the email and go to the site directly, rather than through any provided links. Always be suspicious of ANY email from a bank, credit card issuer, Ebay, Paypal or any other company or entity that deals with financial transactions. Assume it's fake unless you know for certain that it's not, and even then, don't click on links. Reputable companies don't send alarmist messages like "Do this now or your account will be canceled!"

Laura

rasberry
05-05-2006, 08:21 AM
i had the exact same email saying that i had not sent money for an item and they would go to the police if i didnt pay.. i knew that wasnt the case so i went straight to ebay and checked it out.. my partner almost clicked on the link though so we were very lucky...
Naomi

Artistammy
05-05-2006, 05:04 PM
We had a similar situation this week. But we got an email from PayPal security wanting to know if we had bought the item. My husband checked with me & our son but we didn't buy a $300 cell phone. lol He thought they were trying to get our PayPal password. They had already been caught because the page to click to was blank. Everyone has to be so careful.
Tammy

Dark_Shades
05-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Guys, Thanks Anda...... feel so annoyed with myself for being duped..... felt I was a hardy seasoned EBayer lol, and suspicious at the best of times - Im obviously getting soft in my old age ... Ha!
I told my manager (whom had been away) and he said the same thing had happened to his brother....... someone had used his account and listed a 30K worth of Tractor :eek: :D (but EBay had caught and stopped it)
...... still unsure what on earth they get from it

meowmeow
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
You shouldn't feel that way, Dawn! I mean I understand, but these people have gotten very clever. And we all have times when we are busy, preoccupied, a bit tired, whatever. I almost got "caught" once myself. Hopefully this will help you remember but you caan only do the best you can. I hope eventually they figure out a way to stop these awful people who should try getting a life. If they expended all that time and energy and did something worthwhile with their lives they might actually accomplish something.

Sandy

Kitty Wallis
05-09-2006, 04:42 AM
The unauthorized access ebay notice is also a scam. The intent is to get you to enter all your identifying info into their form, which looks just like the real thing. Always check the URL that is ctually being accessed. Never give sensative info in email, like passwords or SS#, etc.

Laura is correct about doubting any kind of threatening or inflammatory rhetoric.

Dark_Shades
05-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks all.......... further update :(

I just saw my credit card transactions yesterday, and there was one for EBay 5.90/$10.52 - I havent used it for a couple of months, so went into EBay and checked the billing invoice. It would appear this person used my account for about 10 listings for Nokia phones, all the auction billings had been credited back to me, all bar one.... the first..... 5.90! - have written to EBay, and hoping to get that back.
It would also seem that this person has either passed my info onto others, or using it further them selves and trying through other avenues :mad:

Its been a month of people trying to rip me off!!
I had been checking my bank statements, and found that 378.44/$673.22 had been withdrawn from my account over the last 5 months by my Mortgage Provider (for any in the UK, bewarned - NATIONWIDE) - I am now fighting to get this back. They said it was for Mortgage protection and that they notified us in November by letter, and also stated in this letter that if they did not hear from us, they would take that as an automatic agreement that they could!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - can you believe this....... we never received anything......... so how on earth could we cancel it!!! - Basically they have told us ... tough - we are now looking to transfer to someone else

........ Also this month - Brinkster, whom Ive had a free website with for over 5 years, and upgraded to a paid site this Feb......... all my art work, templates... photos..... pictures etc.... stored on there....(due to a previous loss of computer thanks to your kindly Hackers) - informs me by email, that they have lost my site in a systems crash, and non can be found or my website restored!!! - they gave me a refund when prompted. But there is nothing I can do to restore or find my original works

Tressa
05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Scary thing....
I have now started getting all my work on a CD to save, just in case of this kind of incident!!
So sorry you are having so many problems!!!
Tres

KA Obee
05-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I know I'm going to sound a bit nutty here, but I go one beyond Tressa. I keep a second copy of cd's of our family photos and my art work at my office, at work. I decided to do this after hurricane Katrina - and hearing all those people talk about loosing their family photos. I figure this way if the house burns down, I'll still have the photos!
(I wont have insurance papers or anything silly like that - just photos)
KA