PDA

View Full Version : toning wallis sanded paper with acetone

shrop
05-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey everyone~

I was so excited to find this site, its been so helpful! I am about to start a commission that will be 5' x 4', and I am doing it on the Wallis sanded paper (white). This will be my first time using Wallis paper. I was wondering how to tone it. I have heard that you can scumble pastel over the surface then use a scrubby old brush and acetone to melt the pastel into the paper. Do you dilute the acetone, or just use it straight? ANy help or suggestions would be great!!!
Thanks Amy

khourianya
05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Acetone? as in the stuff in nail polish remover? I don't know if that's what I would use.

I did do some experimenting over the weekend using good old rubbing alcohol and it worked really well. No need to dilute - just use it straight fromthe bottle and disolve the pastel that way!

Tressa
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
You can use acetone, Bill Hosner uses this. It works the same as alcohol, but of course, smells a bit worse, and takes a bit longer to dry, but not a noticable time...Water takes the longest...I prefer to use alcohol in this technique, however you can tone with watercolor, acrylic washes, and of course, Kitty's favorite, Creta colors...:D
Tres

shrop
05-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks so much!!
That really helps a lot. I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Amy

Kitty Wallis
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Just a correction to avoid confusion, Tres. My favorite is Createx Pure Pigment. Creta(sp?) is a different company.

I avoid using alcohol or acetone because when I get too enthusiastic, scrubbing it in, I've notice a slight gumminess to the mix and I don't know what it's doing to the integrity of the surface. But that's my purist attitude; it works ok if used fairly gently.

Tressa
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
OOPS!!! Sorry Kitty!!! I ALWAYS get them mixed up!!!:rolleyes: :D

Tres

bluefish
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
It sounds like the alcohol and acetone are reacting chemically with the bonding agent used to secure the aluminum oxide to the card stock, thus the gumminess. Pure watercolor or the aqua solution Createx pigment mixture should have no permament detrimental affect on the finished work!

Kitty makes the paper, uses Createx - it doesn't get any better than that!

'bluefish'

Deborah Secor
05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Besides, why not do everything in your power to avoid something as nasty as acetone!? This stuff is one of the worst!! NIOSH says: The vapor irritates the eyes and the respiratory tract. The substance may cause effects on the central nervous system, liver, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms include sore throat, cough, confusion, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and unconsciousness. And that's just from short-term exposure!

I'd suggest simply using water, or for a more colorful effect the Createx Pure Pigments are great, or you can use alcohol as Tres mentions. (But even that can have an effect--water is so safe!) Of course, you might use my favorite. I just lay down a light layer of pastel and rub like crazy with a foam house painting brush to push the pigment into the Wallis. There's plenty of tooth left for oh, say, 24 more layers!

Have fun!
Deborah

KA Obee
05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Years ago, when I was working as a paste-up artist for the advertising dept. of a big department store, we used to use acetone to clean the wax off our drawing tables. (Wax was the 'paste' that was used back then for paste up work)

One day this kid was wiping his drawing table down and his rag burst into flames. It was just a quick fireball that disappeared immediately, but the effect was dramatic, to say the least. (He burnt his eyebrows off!) The poor kid's dad had just passed away and he thought it was some kind of message from the beyond! As for the rest of us, none of us ever cleaned our drawing tables with acetone again! And I just generally avoid the flamable stuff period.

KA

cherylleclairsommer
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Turpenoid can also be used to tone the initial application of pastel on Wallis paper. Works great but dries slow.

Tressa
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
and smells NASTY:evil:
Tres