PDA

View Full Version : photography

animalsrock
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Heya!
Im in sixthform at moment doing art, english and product design. But Im interested in photogaphy but only ammature, mostly of my pets! I dont know how to start, if there are any classes,clubs to give me a lead etc is anybody else interested or know how to start????!:confused:
animalsrock:cat:

HowardMCheng
05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Hey,

Been there and done that. I started getting into photography when I got given a 4MP digital compact. It's not the best thing in the world, with very limited settings, but it takes brilliant photos in the right conditions. You may want to look into that to start.

Since you're planning to do mostly pets is to probably invest in an SLR, but with a student budget (I know, I'm on one too!), you may want to opt for a 35mm SLR, which can be found quite cheaply on eBay, although if you don't trust eBay, the Centon K400 (I think) from Jessops is not too bad. You can get their Centon lenses quite cheaply. The good thing with an SLR is that you can play with a lot more, such as depth of field making the background less focused than your main subject.

I'm not sure if joining a club would help, but then again, I'm very much a go-alone person sometimes when it comes to photography. Perhaps you should see how some clubs runl; but I think that photography is best if you use your own inspiration without others planting their styles into your head.

If you want to see what sort of pictures my compact digital takes, go to http://howardmcheng.deviantart.com/gallery/photography/ and have a look at some examples. It's not the best as I couldn't get some of the technical things in, such as depth of field, but it did make me think of how to frame the pictures more. I'll find some of my SLR ones to show you the difference when I get the chance to scan.

You might also want to look into some photography books and pick up some techniques from them. If you're going to opt for 35mm SLR, then Michael Langford's 35mm Handbook (ISBN: 0091778379) is great for techniques and gives a guide with how to solve various composition problems and the right kit to use.

If you want more specific tips on pet photography, an excellent guide online is at http://www.pawtricks.co.uk. You can find this if you click on "Ref photos" on the left navigation bar and then scroll down. There's an excellent guide for what to do and what not to do when taking photos of your pets.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email.

Good luck.

SGShaw
05-03-2006, 12:37 AM
There are also lots of tips and helps in magazines or on the web. I get Popular Photography every month, because it has lots of helpful hints and tips. You could also try BetterPhoto.com, which has a forum where you can post and get critiques for free, and they also offer courses, although they don't come cheap. There is lots of free advice, though, and I think I saw something specifically on photographing animals.

The New York Institute of Photography is also an on-line school which offers a certificate program, and many professional photographers get their start there. The site also includes articles for free, and ideas about using point-and-shoot cameras and disposable cameras to get great shots.

There are lots of great ways of learning how to compose and take good shots without spending a lot of money on camera equipment. And you are better off playing with the cheapest camera available until you decide that is really what you want to do.

Good Luck!

animalsrock
05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey
thanks for the advice:D very helpful

animalsrock:cat: