PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for May 2006

Khadres
04-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Yay! May!! Our trees are actually sprouting LEAVES and stuff! Of course, while some parts of the world are being floated away with rain, we've still had none in this, our supposed "rainy" season...oh, well.

If I remember aright, we've several members busily assembling their artwork for major and minor shows and competitions this month! Good luck to all of you...you all deserve to win the ribbons and sell the most paintings! Be sure and keep us all posted on how these venues turn out for you!

I hope everyone's making headway with their various goals, both large and small...I actually created some dust myself last month...even if the results were awful, I think I'm just so rusty that it will take a couple tries to get going again. Thank heavens I have plenty of paper! :D

khourianya
04-30-2006, 02:55 PM
oh my - we are on the doorstep of May, aren't we!

I guess I'd better get my goals down now so i can work toward them for the month!

I have 2 goals that I want to work toward this month.

1) painting or sketch a day! I might even start a blog for it.

2) get out and do plein air as often as possible. I am hoping to spend my lunch hours studying my course so my evenings and weekends are free to paint and do whatever i want.

It'll take some time management skils, but if I do small sketches everyday, from life, I think I will be able to stay on track. the little sketch I did for this week's WDE showed me that i don't need alot of time to invest in them. Life has been so busy that I haven't been creating at all and I truly miss it. I've spent more months chatting here than doing anything else.

bjcpaints
05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
So true Cori - I am forcing myself to do 10 minutes a day of sketching. It sounds like nothing, but its bettter than nothing! :) And if I get one a week in the sketch thread here, that is a step in the right direction. My only other pastel-related goal this month is to finish my self portrait. Oh, I finally broke down this weekend and took all my pastels out of their boxes and put them together by color in my wooden trays!
Barbara

khourianya
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Good for you Barbara! That is the first step to being a real pastellist! It's just not pastelling until you can reach and grab by colour. Did you remove the labels and break them in half too? That's the next big step. It hurts for a couple of seconds, but it is the most freeing experience!

bogbeast
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Okay, I guess I'd better get my toes wet again, and this is a good place to start! I've been lurking here and there lately, and I actually have 48 hours of child-free time coming up the weekend of May 20--all I have to do is walk the dogs!!

So, aside from (hopefully) getting one or two UNINTERRUPTED nights' sleep, I have two goals: 1) to actually DO some artwork of some sort, and closely related: 2)to get over myself, in that I seem to think I have to start all over learning how to draw because I've not done any art at all in 9 months. The only tricky part to accomplishing this is that we are moving into slightly larger digs the previous weekend, and it will be tempting to focus on unpacking or just gallivanting about without Miss O instead of facing a blank piece of paper. But who knows when I'll get another chance this good? So, I need to make use of it.

And if anyone wants to see the repository of most of my time and energy, my next stop will be the scumble, with a recent pic...

Libby

bjcpaints
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Good for you Barbara! That is the first step to being a real pastellist! It's just not pastelling until you can reach and grab by colour. Did you remove the labels and break them in half too? That's the next big step. It hurts for a couple of seconds, but it is the most freeing experience!

Thanks Cori, My Rembrandts are all halfsticks so they never had labels. The few other brands I have are broken and I kind of slide them in and out of the labels if they ever had any.:D
My biggest concern is how to band these 2 wooden trays together to make them safely portable! I am looking for some kind of bookstrap type thingy. The trays are about 9 X 16". One has all my pastels pencils and the other has the soft pastels. Now, what do I do with the empty cardboard boxes and foam from the halfstick sets ?:D

khourianya
05-02-2006, 11:53 AM
lol - I used to save all my foam and boxes and they quickly took over the studio. I then saved just the flat pieces of foam to use in my pastel box projets - but there was never enough. Finally _ just cleared it allout and bought a roll of upholstery foam to use in my projects. Easier to customize that way.

As for strapping your trays together - do you think you could posta photo of the trays? Perhaps I can come up with something creative for you to try!

I also wanted to pop in to tell you all that I started a blog to post my daily paintings and sketches in - starting May 1. I msy not be able to paint everyday, but I carry a sketchbook everywhere so I am sure I can post one a day of with paintings or sketches :)

If you guys would like to check it out, the address is http://padbycori.blogspirit.com

Just one painting posted thus far, but a cutie patooties :)

KA Obee
05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Cori,
I love your little puppy painting! He is so cute and you've captured that little impish look of his perfectlly. If Rory (my 9 yr old) sees this he'll be back to begging for a dog non-stop again! Frankly, that picture makes me want one too!
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your sketch a day goal. I'll be checking out your blog to see how you're doing.
- I think I may try for a sketch or two a week at least.
Libby, I'm finding that just trying to do the little sketches takes the pressure off. Also, if you know you are going to have child-free time 9whoo HOO!) plan ahead and get some images to work from - or buy some flowers to sketch, something like that. That way you have no excuses not to do something with your pastels!
Like in Finding Nemo, you just have to say "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming..." But change it to "keep on sketching, keep on sketching..."
Good luck and have fun!
KA

KA Obee
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Cori,
I love your little puppy painting! He is so cute and you've captured that little impish look of his perfectlly. If Rory (my 9 yr old) sees this he'll be back to begging for a dog non-stop again! Frankly, that picture makes me want one too!

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your sketch a day goal. I'll be checking out your blog to see how you're doing.

- I think I may try for a sketch or two a week at least.

Libby,
I'm finding that just trying to do the little sketches takes the pressure off. Also, if you know you are going to have child-free time (Whoo HOO!) plan ahead and get some images to work from - or buy some flowers to sketch, something like that. That way you have no excuses not to do something with your pastels!
Like in Finding Nemo, you just have to say "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming..." But change it to "keep on sketching, keep on sketching..."
Good luck and have fun!

KA

Khadres
05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Good to hear from you, Libby! Glad things are going well out there on the coast. We'll be tickled to see any artwork you manage on your "free" weekend. Believe me, I know exactly how hard it is to get anything creative done with little hands wanting to join in!

bjcpaints
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Cori, Thanks and I will get DH to take a pic of my treasured wooden trays of pastels. I may end up making a custom made bag for them to slide into after banding them together. Good for you with your new blog and you did the WDE! I passed this time as I was just too busy and getting behinder and behinder!

khourianya
05-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Ya - i have had such a long dry spell this year (life has been too busy) so it was good to get sketching and painting again.

bjcpaints
05-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Well I found the answer to my pastel transport question this morning on my way to work. Synchronicity? I decided to take a different route it is such a beautiful morning. I stopped at a garage sale and found a fabulous box! It was a very expensive make-up box made like a tackle box with the expanding trays and it is that hammered metal just like the Roz boxes! I think this is what they used to call a train case. I am so thrilled and it only cost me $5.! The lady said her daughter paid $50. which I do not doubt one bit. It just needs a little wiping out on the inside and it is perfect. Tonight I am going out in the yard (if its not too buggy) and try it and my new easel out! This will get me my goal sketch for the week. I will even try the bug net over a hat if need be.

khourianya
05-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Great find, Barbara - I know just the cases you are talking about.

I went out and did some plein air after my union vote last night. I posted it in my blog, but it is truly horrible so I refuse to post it here. I'd rather have control over being able to delete it if it bothers me too much. Let's just say "Thank goodness for wallis museum." I may just scrub this one off and reuse the paper!

Khadres
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I know what you mean, Cori....the only work I've done in the last month turned out so awful, I refuse to post it anywhere! I've buried it with my other losers in the "yuck" pile...to have to look at it more than once in a lifetime would just be tooooo depressing, and if I just threw it out, the garbage man might actually see it!!

KA Obee
05-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey! That's not fair! I posted my horrible sketches this morning!:eek:
I want to see other peoples terrible sketches too!:evil:
Although I at least had the excuse of being on pain killers both while I created the sketches and when I posted them...:lol:
KA

khourianya
05-04-2006, 09:45 PM
lol - you already saw mine KA :p And yours weren't horrible so they don't count!

khourianya
05-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Well - it's 4 days into the month and I am doing well with keeping up my new blog.

It's also got me inspired to keep going and trying things - even if it is just a 10 minute sketch. Just so long as I post something.

I also started working on the bobcat painting I was talking about months ago. I am hoping I can finish it tonight. You can see the progress on my blog. I have a dog portrait to do next week for a girl I work with. She is leaving to take a new job in Victoria and I want to give her something as a goodbye present. Her dog is weimerainer and looks so much like Abner (except steel grey and MUCH taller). he should be a fun portrait to do. I always prefer short haired dog portraits over long haired.

E-J
05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I think last month was the first time ever that I actually achieved the goals I set for myself! My aim to do a daily oil pastel study went well, so my goal for May is to continue in that vein - putting in anything between 30 mins and 1 hr 45 on a little OP sketch/painting from life, if not every day then as often as I can.

My work schedule is very manageable now, but I'm mostly preoccupied with preparations for the arrival of our baby girl! :) Doing these small pieces is a way to get to know my oil pastels a bit better now that I've moved out of my studio and am creating a dust-free zone.

Cori, I'll wander on over and take a look at your blog now!

sailmary
05-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Dear bjcpaints,
Re: your request for some type of strap to hold your boxes together - how about a luggage strap? Used for extra security around a suitcase so if latched break all won't pop out. Or, of you don't need flat, bungee chords.
Sailmary

khourianya
05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
So how is everyone doing this month, so far? I have, amazingly enough, been staying on track. The blog is really helping (and the lack of pressure - I have allowed myself anything from a rough sketch to a full blown painting).

I did post my latest painting in the softies studio - it is of a weimariner named Jared. Cam says it's my best dog portrait yet :)

Khadres
05-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I agree with Cam on the dog...nice one!

I've made a few stabs at getting something done this month which is more than I had been achieving lately, but still nothing finished. Not sure why I feel in limbo the way I do, but...I hope the fog lifts SOON!

khourianya
05-13-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm sure it will, Sooz. I went through a terrible dry spell this year so far, but in the last 13 days, I have made more art than I have in many many moons.

The blog helped alot with that - just knowing that i need to keep with my goal and upload something everyday keeps me looking for opportinities to sketch or to try out new materials and formats. It's lifted so much pressure - because I was getting to the point where I felt everything I did had to be a concentrated "sit at the easel and paint" effort. You'd think having the daily sketch blog would have added more pressure, but i now realize that it is about making art a part of my life everyday - no matter how busy i am. And that a quick sketch can be just as satisfying as a painting when the pressure is off.

It has also helped me discover how much I love my little moleskine sketchbook and my crow quill dip pen. I had the pen and inks littering the studio for months - too scared to touch them - but once I did it felt so natural and made me so happy.

So - with that in mind - can you think of something you like the idea of and haven't tried yet? A medium, a subject, a format? I was surprised at how much I liked creating a little artist trading card. Now I find myself sketching really small like I am practicing. why not gove yourself a month of something idfferent to see if it can kickstart you again. Your dry spell has lasted a while, though I am very happy to hear that you are still trying to create something.

Oh and when I get back from Vancouver - i am planning to hot a sketch-a-thon over at VPON. Just a heads up. I might add in some unique twists to this one.

bjcpaints
05-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Dear bjcpaints,
Re: your request for some type of strap to hold your boxes together - how about a luggage strap? Used for extra security around a suitcase so if latched break all won't pop out. Or, of you don't need flat, bungee chords.
Sailmary

Thank you Sailmary and I am sorry I did not get back here sooner! The box I found at the yard sale eliminated the need to strap my wooden trays together. I still like the trays for use at home though!

Glad I stopped back here and saw that I had actually made it a goal to finish my SP this month. It has not gone smoothly or quickly. If anyone wants a peek, its in the Artwork from life forum.. I could surely use some tips on portraiture!

On a more positive note, I have 2 (possible) commissions for dogs on velour paper in pastel!!!! So excited that people asked about them at my little craft show on Saturday. I sold lots of pets on rocks and one acrylic painting (8 X10) - Bass Harbor Lighthouse, Maine (from a WDE). The pastel commissions are for a Keeshond dog and a shepard/wolf mix. One wants 9 X 12 and the other I think is 8 X10 . Wish I had thought about pricing a little more instead of winging it at my show....They were both spurred by the cat on velour I did from a WDE - Mr. Fluffy - WC member Leah's cat.

Cori, Glad to hear you are on a roll!
Barbara

Kathryn Wilson
05-17-2006, 07:52 AM
If I remember aright, we've several members busily assembling their artwork for major and minor shows and competitions this month!

I'm one of those members whose goal was to enter more shows to try to sell more paintings and get my name out there locally.

One of our real estate offices who has a huge building with many, many walls was asked to host a show/sale for our local painting groups. It was a huge success with 163 paintings entered, 14 paintings sold the first night.

But even better, I sold 2 paintings! What a surprise to see those sold signs when I walked in the door - it really does give you a boost to see your hard work come to fruition.

None of us expected this kind of turnout, but the real estate company used its database of clients and it worked! Hopefully they will host the venue again!

Khadres
05-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Congrats, Kat! I knew you'd do well once you got out there with your work! And yes, it's a real advantage when you can find a decent place to hold a show...really good places are becoming scarce as hens' teeth these days.

bogbeast
05-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi!
Just wanted to share that I DID do some painting on my 1 1/2 days "off" this past weekend, although I also did more unpacking and rearranging of boxes than I had planned--had to, it was the only way to get to my pastels and find enough space to work! And, I persevered through trying to remember how I used to organize my work, fetching basic supplies that I'd forgotten (even started without a rag handy!), an extended "ugly" phase, several off-brand pastels that I hadn't used before exploding in hand or gumming up the paper, and the cat jumping on one end of my box, causing my best red to leap to the floor. I'm not posting it at this stage--it's got a LOOOOng way to go--but I'n not trashing it, either. Most importantly, I feel like I am on track to get back to painting regularly, which was my underlying goal!
Libby

khourianya
05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Good for you Libby!

Well - I've made it almost an entire month with sketching or painting daily. I'll admit - it has been way more sketching than painting - but I am a busy girl and am doing what I can. I may actually pull out the pastels and get dusty tonight. I'm sure the visitors to my blog might like to see an actual painting once in a while instead of just ink and CP in my moleskine.

Anyway - how's everyone else doing this month?

Khadres
05-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Good going Cori and Libby! I've fiddled around with a couple things this month, but nothing finished so far. Still, at least I did get dusty a couple times which is better than some recent months! I'm hoping June will be even better...for everyone!

E-J
06-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Zoinks! I only managed one oil pastel in the whole of May - so, hardly a successful month goalswise, but that's partly because I've been crocheting like a demon and also sorting out stuff for the baby's room. :)

I think I need some more relaxed goals for June ... If I can fit in a couple of pastels this month, then I'll be happy. Hopping over to see if the June thread is open yet! See you there, Sooz, Cori, Libby, Kat, Barbara and KA!