PDA

View Full Version : Stretched or not...?

marinaneira
04-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey there! I have a little question :wave:

Soon I'll be selling my gyclee canvas prints on ebay. But I don't know whether I should sell them on the wooden stretchers or rolled up. I believe it would be a lot cheaper for my buyer to buy the print rolled, thus greatly reducing shipping costs as well as risks of damage to the print. Then again, I fear having to get the print on stretchers themselves will deter people from buying.

What should I do? :confused: A print could be as much as $100 cheaper (shipping included) if I sold only the canvas.

Please give me your opinion.

Thanks,

Marina

mick11
04-30-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi Marina,

Why not offer them the option. Sell them as un-stretched with the option of having them stretched at extra cost if they wish.

Just make sure your description is very precise as to what they will be getting.

marinaneira
04-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mick. I thought of that, in fact, that is what I do in my website. But with auctions, people want to get what they ordered soon. For me it is terribly expensive to stretch it and ship it, as I've said, so I would have to do it only if I am sure the person wants it, and then it could take a long time (maybe more than two weeks) to be ready. Most of all, Ebay doesn't like people charging extras or such out of the auction. I might get into a problem. What I want to know is, what do most people do when selling their art online? Which way are prints usually sold?

Marina

mick11
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Marina

You sell them as un-stretched, ( this is the normal way of selling prints), what the customer does with it once they have purchased it is up to them.

You would just be offering a service to stretch it if they want it, assuming you want to provide it. As long as your item description makes this perfectly clear including the time factor, cost etc. and you take payment separately, I cannot see a problem, and it may give you an edge over the competition.
In this way you are not dealing outside of ebays policies.

Einion
04-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I think offering the option is the best bet Marina, that way the buyer can make the call themselves.

By the way it's spelled giclee, from the French word giclée, meaning a spray of liquid.

Einion

marinaneira
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks Einion :) Guess I'll do that.

Marina