PDA

View Full Version : Help! Portfolio!

Axl
02-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Ahhh!

I have to do a portfolio for my aplication for the art collage that I want to go to next year. So I thought I'd go to WC! because i think you all rock so much! (atleast that people that i've talked to so far..)
I'm really looking for soem advice cos i've never done this kind of thing before! I was originally going to post the whole thing in this forum because I liked posting last time, but then I was looking at the work and a bulk of it was pencil so I though I'd put it into the drawing and sketching forum.

BUT I STILL WANT YOU GUYS TO LOOK cos you all rock so much and I just know that you know what you're doing more than I do! Please please comment! I'm so lost when it comes to this kind of stuff!

The link to the thraed is HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34240)

thankyou SO MUCH in advance for you help! i'm such a wreck!

artdude
02-28-2002, 09:06 AM
First of all I would like to let you know "YOU HAVE TALENT"!! Really enjoyed looking through your art :) If I had to pick just two, it would be really hard. I like your "Iquana/Cyborg" and also "The Doll". Good luck to you with your art school endeavours :D

Axl
02-28-2002, 06:36 PM
lol. Thankyou so much for your kind words! After seeing your artwork and knowing how much great artistic talent you have it's really nice to be reasured that I do have talent. lol *thankyou thankyou!*

dragonart
03-01-2002, 02:13 AM
ok i found out this the hard way 2 years ago when i went to what is called a portfolio day the number one thing art colleges are looking for is STILL LIFE they want it more than anything and if you dont have it your not getting in period the other thing they are looking for is good use of color which i think you have your good enought to get in to a college IF you have the still life peices then you shouldnt worry ok :clap: good luck and i hope you get in

Axl
03-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Ah yes. You havent been the only one to say that I should have something of still life. I didn';t realize that it was so important that (atleast your) collage won't accept people who did not have still life in their portfolio. Although I'm doing a still life as one of the require projects for admission, I think i'm going to try and do something else (although i'm not sure what thtat will be yet)
Thankyou very much for leaving your comment. I'm so happy that you've left that tid bit of information to me. thankyou *g*

strawberry
03-09-2002, 05:03 PM
I was also told that still life and life drawing were the most important things for a portfolio, and that it was absolutely necessary. I, like you, have plenty of fantasy stuff, and was told not even to show it to them. Yours is so nice though, that it would be a shame to not take any of it at all. I don't have as much "talent" or whatever you want to call it as you do, and I think your work is truly lovely, but if the person I was talking to is right (and her full-time job is getting people's portfolios ready for art college) you'll need to have more stuff that isn't fantasy-based.

I hope you still have some time to prepare still life and life drawings, because you have a great deal of skill and I believe that you're more than ready for this in every other way except subject matter. Too bad they are so closed-minded.

dolors
03-10-2002, 03:04 AM
Iīve just been looking to your work and agree with the others said: You have talent. I donīt know what they ask for in your Art schools but if everybody tells you to do still life, do it. You can.

Axl
03-11-2002, 05:17 PM
hmmm. Well. i can't see me not including any of my fantasy stuff. They wanted to see me work with different meatirials and be creative and if they dont wanna see what i'v ebeen doing with that then screw em. they can go on without me, lol.

but yes. working on the still life. trying to find things that I can draw that are interesting and won;t get up and walk away on me or die. lol.

sassybird
03-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Axl, I had only one or two pieces of still life in my portfolio when I went into the art program at my college. I did have a lot of color piceces though; landscapes, surrealism, impressionism, pure design work (mostly mandalas), and pics of 3D pieces I did. I chose the best of my work to put in the portfolio, had it all sectioned off as to medium and style instead of subject matter. All schools are different though. I think the best thing to do would be to go on campus and talk to some of the other students before the time comes to present your portfolio. Even talk to some of the profs if you can get an appointment. I interviewed nearly every prof I had before I took their class. Sounds funny, but I get impressions from people, and if I didn't like the feel I got from a prof I would not take the class.