PDA

View Full Version : Knotwork Nameplate Project

CPM
04-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Gang, I put together another knotwork project. The composition is similar to my other one, but this one is smaller (8x10) with denser knotwork. For the center, I put the family name. Once framed this is going to Dad for his birthday:thumbsup: . - Chris
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2006/75227-knot_proj_2.jpg

Merry Scribe
04-24-2006, 08:24 AM
This looks great Chris are you going to color it or leave it as is?

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe. :wave: :D

PS. I am sorry everyone but I have not been on the WC for a few days because Friday I got my independence and I have been freed. Friday they delivered my Hoveround scooter and I have been going everywhere you will never know how go this feels.

CPM
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Brian, I will probably leave it black and white and frame it the same way I did the other knot panel (double mat White with a Red inside). At some point I will add some color to the knotwork, but for now I like the black and white.

Congratulations on your new ride. Get out and enjoy the spring air. Clear your mind and later you'll sit at the drawing table. - Chris

TessDB
04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Chris, it looks really great! I'm sure your Dad will really like it. I know I do! :clap:

If you're really liking how the knotwork looks in black and white right now, I say go for it. Maybe think about detail work inside of the bands? Or start playing with shading effects. Think about value & depth & all those other things that are a royal pain but can really make a piece. Just some suggestions. Just to keep you from getting too comfortable. :D :evil: :angel:

Tess

PS:
Friday they delivered my Hoveround scooter and I have been going everywhere you will never know how go this feels.

Excellent news, Brian!

celticrichard
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
This reminds me:can i open a wip of how i do circular knotworks?

Merry Scribe
04-26-2006, 03:12 PM
This reminds me:can i open a wip of how i do circular knotworks?

Not only can you but we would love to see it. Tess keeps promising me that she is going to do a tuteral (sp) on celtic boarders and I am waiting patiently. So the more activity we have on this subforum the better.:clap: :clap: :wink2:

TessDB
04-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Rich, please do a WIP! I love to see how other folks work. :thumbsup:

Tess keeps promising me that she is going to do a tuteral (sp) on celtic boarders and I am waiting patiently.

And as for you young grasshopper, continue to have patience! Once I get my current piece to the point where I'm working on color, I can switch gears & do the tutorial (there's the spelling for ya :wink2: ).

Tess

Merry Scribe
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
And as for you young grasshopper, continue to have patience! Once I get my current piece to the point where I'm working on color, I can switch gears & do the tutorial (there's the spelling for ya :wink2: ).

Tess

Yes Master I will be patient.

artjunkie101
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Your knotwork is great and I for one would love to see a tutorial. I think the nameplate looks quite striking in black and white, but a bit of color might work, too. Either way, I'm sure your Dad will be thrilled.

CPM
04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Tess, Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably take a couple copies of the project before I frame it so I can play with colored pencils. I can give shading and color a try. - Chris

Richard, A tutorial on the circular knows would be great. Go for it.

Brian, we will wait patiently for the boarder tutorial. I keep looking at the "caed mille failte" work to see all the different patterns in it.

Claire, i'll keep the original black and white, but will try a bit of color on a copy. As for a tutorial, all of the knotwork in this one is from Tess' tutorial from an earlier thread "Celtic Knots 101 - Triangles and Pretzles" http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337179

- Chris

TessDB
04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Tess, Thanks for the encouragement. I will probably take a couple copies of the project before I frame it so I can play with colored pencils. I can give shading and color a try.

Color is great (completely addicted to it). But what I was thinking, since you're really taken with the black & white, was more along the lines of stippling or cross-hatching. Or even working one knot really really big and doing a detail pattern inside of it. Check out these on Courtney Davis' website (http://thebeverlyhillsgallery.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_107&osCsid=7b24e20ba49d57dccb48fa78cc3bf92f).

I'm not a huge fan of his work... seems too static and chunky to me. But he's probably one of the best known Celtic artists around. And I'm a terrible snob. :rolleyes:

Tess

valchina612
06-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Chris, this is a fantastic piece. I love it to bits, and I know your Dad will too. Your work is perfection plus. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

CPM
06-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Thaks Val, Dad has it hanging prominently! My mother was jealous and wants her famaily name (Casey) done up in knots as well. Luckily I have time before her birthday and Tess has created plenty of tutorials for me to play with! - Chris