PDA

View Full Version : I was "Juried" In!!!

meowmeow
04-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Yowzer!!!! I still can't believe it!!!! When I signed up for the Terry Ludwig workshop in Kennebunk in June I decided what the heck and I joined the Pastel Painters of Maine. I hadn't bothered before because I am not there for the whole year and really can't go to meetings and contribute any time....but I decided I would go ahead and join. Right after that I got the newsletter with the announcement of their annual juried show. You had to send in slides and I have never done that...never entered any juried show. At first I figured I couldn't do that. Then I thought...why not! At least I should enter it even though there was no way I would get accepted. This year's show was juried by Sean Dye and I know some of the people who have gotten in and some who have not and well, I didn't think I stood a chance. So I sent a couple of jpeg's to one of the places that makes slides and I got the 2 slides and filled out the forms and sent them in. And sort of forgot about it...well not exactly, but when I just got the envelope with what I could feel was slides, I wasn't surprised (they said they returned the slides if you didn't get in)...but I opened it and there was only one slide and a letter congratulating me! Yikes! It's the Fort Georges painting I did last year (it was in the time contraints of when it had to have been done) that Deborah said I should enter in some shows...well, I guess she was right. Now I have to figure out how to get it to where it needs to be...but I'll figure that out. Anyhow, I'm psyched.
I have to say I never would have had it happen without the people here who have been so helpful and generous with their time and kind comments. For years I plodded along...but since WC I know I have made progress.

Here is the painting; I know some of you will remember it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2006/15050-fortgeorges.jpg

Sandy

*Marina*
04-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Congratulations Sandy. :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Bringer
04-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,

Congratulations !
That will be great for your curriculum .

Regards,

Josť

chewie
04-23-2006, 05:54 PM
WOW!!!! so happy for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
FANTASTIC!!!! :thumbsup:

Tressa
04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Congratulations!!! You know how many people dream of winning the lottery, BUT THEY DON'T PLAY!!!! :)
Tres

Merriel
04-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Congratulations that's super.

leirrem

Katherine T
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Congratulations Sandy :thumbsup:

You're a reminder to all of us who forget deadlines / don't get round to getting the slides made etc etc that it is worth making the effort!

Nice painting!

Karen Margulis
04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
That's fantastic!!!!! How exciting that must be!!

Karen

Khadres
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Congratulations and best wishes for the show!

Now, that wasn't that hard to do, was it??? :D

Pinecone Conniff
04-23-2006, 09:18 PM
AWESOME!! :clap:
I am such a big fan of your loose expressive style! :heart:
Annette

Jo Castillo
04-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Congratulations! Great painting. Good for you for going for it!
Jo

PeggyB
04-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Congratulations Sandy. I still remember the first national pastel show I was juried into (juried by Doug Dawson), and you will probably always remember this one. It's a good feeling isn't it?

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! Well deserved, Sandy!

CindyW
04-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Sandy, I'm so very excited for you!!!!!! And I am not surprised whatsoever that you were juried in. :)
Often, the "what-the-heck" actions that involve artwork are the most rewarding. Great that you tried it this year and didn't pass the opportunity to give it a try. I'm right behind you, cheering you on!
Cindy

bogbeast
04-24-2006, 12:13 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Lots of hard work behind this one!! Way to go!!!

Libby

Mike_Beeman
04-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Congratulations!!

Paula Ford
04-24-2006, 01:01 AM
WOW that's fantastic Sandy!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
04-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Thank you everyone! I knew you would all appreciate it! It does feel good and no, it wasn't hard to get that slide sent off with the form and check. Obviously it doesn't always pay off, but sometimes it does. So hopefuly there is a lesson here for all of us!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
04-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Woooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo way to go Sandy - well deserved, so glad you have got the recognition..... and dont forget to update your website with the good news too

fortysomething
04-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

vrashton
04-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Great work. I can see why it was accepted, beautiful colours in the water.
Val

bjcpaints
04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Good for you and Congratulations!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

angecald
04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Congratulations, Sandy!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Art Corner
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
That's so great and what a beautiful painting, I'm a little biased as I'm a sailor. I met Sean at the Art Methods and Materials Show in Pasadena a few years ago, nice man & good artist. Congrats & Good Luck!!!

Merethe T
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Congratulations Sandy, I'm so happy for you!!!

brushandknife
04-25-2006, 10:20 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: Congratulations... and good luck. Who knows, maybe you'll be a winner too! One never knows until one tries...:wink2:
Carol :wave:

E-J
04-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Many congratulations, Sandy! You deserve lots more success!!!

scall0way
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Woo Hoo! I'm so excited and happy for you! Maybe one of these days I'll get the nerve to enter a show. I love the painting.

meowmeow
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks! You are all so sweet!
To me it was a combination of being nervous, although I am not sure why. But also the whole thing of getting slides and stuff. I know most people take photos of their paintings and I have never been able to get good pictures that way. I scan all my stuff in so I have a record of it on my computer and I am also able to make my little reproductions that I can sell at the outdoor shows. Some people here had mentioned that they had had slides made online from their jpegs so I figured I'd try it. You have to do everything just so but I decided to take the plunge. The worse thing that would happen is my stuff wouldn't be done right or even if it were, I wouldn't be accepted. So...you never know.
Now we'll see if I ever do it again!
But I appreciate all the support from you people...and encourage you all to try it. You really have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time and a few dollars for the entry fees. Go for it!

Sandy

Deborah Secor
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Deborah said I should enter in some shows...well, I guess she was right.

:D I like being 'right'--but YOU were the one who did it all, from the painting, to the entry, to the framing and shipping, and onwards, so this is about what you've done!! Congratulations on doing it and I'm so glad you were accepted. You'll get the painting there--it's do-able and just the next step. Yep--go for it!

Deborah

meowmeow
04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi Deborah! Yes, I did it...but you guys sure do help a lot!
I'll be able to hand deliver it...I don't even have to ship it. It's just a question of arranging the schedule but it's very do-able.

Sandy