PDA

View Full Version : Is inkwash a painting or drawing?

haegtessa
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
If diluted india ink is applied with a brush, for instance used as a wash, or like watercolor, or more opaquely like gouache, over ink linework, in order to color the whole artwork, is it a painting or a drawing?

:confused:

MonicaB
04-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Good question, Victoria. But I have no idea. I will say that I have heard that the good ol' Brits used to call watercolors "drawings". I guess it depends on why you need to call it something. If it's a gallery or show, I'd call it a painting, only because that's more in line with what they sell.

haegtessa
04-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Good question, Victoria. But I have no idea. I will say that I have heard that the good ol' Brits used to call watercolors "drawings". I guess it depends on why you need to call it something. If it's a gallery or show, I'd call it a painting, only because that's more in line with what they sell.
Yeah it's because I am trying to figure out where to place it in my online gallery, and what to call it when I sell it...painting or drawing? Just good to know what I am doing! I can see why they thought watercolors were just essentially "coloring" line art. It's gone way beyond that though, and I would definately call watercolors paintings. I guess it comes down to, what type of medium is india ink? Is it a paint or a drawing tool, like charcoal or pastel? Are pastels called "paintings"? If pastels are called "paintings", I think I will call my india ink works "paintings" too.

Are sumi-e's paintings? I think the name means "black ink painting". That is more like what I am doing I think, (except using colors)?

:confused:

MonicaB
04-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Call it a painting, then you can charge more for it. :D Sad but true.

haegtessa
04-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Call it a painting, then you can charge more for it. :D Sad but true.

Good point! :lol:

Rob DeWolfe
04-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Technically it's a drawing, I don't know why but that's the category someone long ago decided it goes in. Perhaps a painting can only be done with paint? But then Watercolours are categorized as drawings too so....

sassybird
04-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Really it is both, but for your purpose I would call it a painting.

haegtessa
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Really it is both, but for your purpose I would call it a painting.
Hi, I went to your site. I saw you call colored pencil works "paintings". Seems a good idea to me! Especially after you explain how much actual work goes into it.

I'll think I'll call my india ink works paintings. Thanks everyone for advice.

Trilby
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Drawings depend on line, paintings depend on form and volumn regardless of medium. You didn't post an example so it's hard to define your work. If the pen work is mostly line and the washes are coloring the line work it is a drawing. If the washes are defining form and volumn while the pen work is primarily embelishment of the form it is a painting. However, since you are seeking a label for your web show you may call it anything you desire and the point has already been made that "painting's" are deemed more cash worthy than "drawings".
TJ
TJ

haegtessa
04-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Drawings depend on line, paintings depend on form and volumn regardless of medium. You didn't post an example so it's hard to define your work. If the pen work is mostly line and the washes are coloring the line work it is a drawing. If the washes are defining form and volumn while the pen work is primarily embelishment of the form it is a painting. However, since you are seeking a label for your web show you may call it anything you desire and the point has already been made that "painting's" are deemed more cash worthy than "drawings".
TJ
TJ

Some good points about the form/volume/modeling versus colored lineart. I'll take that into consideration.

haegtessa
04-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow look what I found in the sticky in this forum:

Chinese Ink Painting, aka Water Ink Painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Oriental/IntroChinesePainting/

So apparently it IS painting and not drawing. Yay!:clap:

viking57
04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Interesting points here. Back in school, if the piece was drawn with ink it was called a Pen & Ink piece. If you added an ink wash to it it was then called a Pen & Ink/Wash piece. It wouldn't be called a painting unless you actually used paint to the piece. Of course, I'm sure this would all be a matter of definition and who defines it.
You can argue the point that if you used a brush to apply the ink wash then it is a "painting" but I don't think you'd get one oil/acrylic or even watercolor painter to call it a painting...not in a 100 years. I'd say it really falls under the realm of a drawing regardless of brush use and there would be nothing to be ashamed of....it's just there are so many people calling things paintings...like colored pencil artists and pastellists.
If you're wanting to call this a painting just for the increased sales amount why not just paint with oils or acrylics in the first place?
Ron

haegtessa
04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
If you're wanting to call this a painting just for the increased sales amount why not just paint with oils or acrylics in the first place?
Ron

I do paint with oils primarily. It actually didn't occur to me that it would be more lucrative to call an ink wash a painting, until another poster mentioned it. I just genuinely wondered.

Did you have a look at the link I provided in my last post , where it describes inkwashes as paintings? I guess it is one of those points of contention in the art world. :confused:

Well, I think I will make a special gallery on my website for "inkwork" in general. :D And when I put works up for sale I will just call them Pen&Ink! :lol:

ewschott
05-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Victoria,

I was always confused about this too, especially pastels -are those paintings?

I did get a book on Chinese Ink Painting and it's of the Carp Fish, owls etc. that are so beautifully done with bamboo brushes. The book I have doesn not show any line.

BUT... we recently had the Rembrandt etching/drawing show in town and I noticed if the work was line some times it would say "with wash".

I'd love to know the pastel answer too if anyone knows.

objectivistartist
05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
This is pastel - if it's a drawing, sure is one dang one.....
[URL="http://cordair.com/sierak/surface.aspx"]

RWSewell
05-14-2006, 01:24 PM
An interesting question in semantics...

You may be interested to know that a similar thread is going on now in the Colored Pencil forum (Painting, Waxing or Drawing) that may peak your interest. P&I is only touched upon briefly but you'll find the concensus there that inkwash is concidered drawing.

When you devote as much work and love into a P&I piece, does it feel that you're somewhat shortchanging your efforts by calling it a drawing? This isn't a direct question, just a What Do You Think question.

For myself, I avoid the word "drawing." It may not be a painting, but I feel my finished efforts rank a little higher than drawings. My sketches on the other hand...

haegtessa
05-15-2006, 03:07 PM
When you devote as much work and love into a P&I piece, does it feel that you're somewhat shortchanging your efforts by calling it a drawing? This isn't a direct question, just a What Do You Think question.

For myself, I avoid the word "drawing." It may not be a painting, but I feel my finished efforts rank a little higher than drawings. My sketches on the other hand...
Hmm...well I consider the term "drawing" to be a "fine art term" and the word "sketches" to be preliminary work, but not a finished "drawing". I am not ashamed of drawings, I love them, and I think they show skill more clearly, because you just can't hide the true forms under layers of paint. I find that I am very proud of my drawings. I do wish they sold for more, as much as paintings.

I did alot of research and I guess I do consider colored/wash linear drawings as drawings. Even though I may be applying ink with a bamboo brush, it really isn't the same as painting in oils, because it is actually alot less effortless, more like just pushing color around on the end of a stick, enhancing the line art.

I decided I am going to revamp my website gallery to place all inkwork and other "drawing" media in the "drawing" gallery.

maori boy
05-15-2006, 10:52 PM
It’s always nice 2 read other peoples thoughts :)

As 4 my thoughts … I’d say if it looks drawn … Then it’s a ‘drawing’
& If it looks painted … then I’d consider it a ‘painting’ (regardless of the medium)

Oh well, luckily we’re not talk’n digital art … ‘painting or drawing’? :eek: ;)