PDA

View Full Version : BBC TV - Impressionists

Dark_Shades
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
The BBC have a TV Drama of Cezanne in 3 parts starting next Sunday 6.35 :)
....... looks very good

For all us UK Artists......... tune in

Hubbie said he even wants to watch it

Tressa
04-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Can I get that?? hmm.. don't know, but we have this high speed cable and stuff, but I don't normally watch tv...
Tres

Kathryn Wilson
04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Will check out schedule too . . . We get BBC America, so it might be on there.

Thanks Dawn!

Katherine T
04-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know about looking good - every time I've watched the trailer I've absolutely hooted as it's got this big soap opera / heavy drama production number flavour to it. Dare I say it - it might do go down well in the american market......... [ducks] ;)

Nevertheless I shall be watching...........! What will Cezanne do? The trailer leaves us panting for more..............

And "my impression" is that it'll be about more than just Cezanne - Renoir has definitely got a bit part!

Khadres
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I can't stand soap operas, but I do generally like anything from Brit tv to movies...will hope we get it eventually.

Tressa
04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh, Come now Katherine, I adore Monty Python, and Benny Hill.....
Such DRAMA....:)
Tres

Dark_Shades
04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Oh well Katherine, you will just have to watch it for the laughs it gives you ..... I will be watching, unless of course it clashes with Coronation Street :evil: :D

Khadres
04-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I wish BBCA would give us some of these programs you guys are addicted to like Coronation St. and so on...we don't get anything til it's mouldy with age usually! I'm addicted to all the Brit mystery series that show up on BBCA and the Biography channel, as well.

Katherine T
04-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Sooz - Coronation Street (http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=91) (which I try not to miss!) is on ITV and therefore will never be available on BBC America. I can't think why Granada (the company that makes it has not sold it to the USA - they've got it everywhere else

Anyway - back to more artistic matters.

I've found all the relevant hyperlinks for "The Impressionists" which tells you all about what the series will be about including a link to synopses of each of the three episodes. And they're now all in an entry in my blog (http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2006/04/impressionists-on-bbc-and-at-national.html) I did today - along with the link to the new associated feature on the National Gallery website. My raised eyebrow re the marketing of it continues - but I'll be watching tonight (and luckily it doesn't clash with Coronation Street!)

The most interesting link in my blog entry is the last one - now did you know that four of Monet's nine paintings in the first exhibition by the Impressionists were pastels? I didn't..........

Dark_Shades
04-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Ohhhh Im glad this came up lol, I would of missed it :eek: - setting the recorder now....... dont forget Katherine, you can always watch Corrie on ITV2 at 10.30 :) tonight

Khadres
04-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I suppose we'll just continue on with the mouldy old Are You Being Served's and vintage Monty Pythons on this side of the pond. I am rather enjoying the relatively new Midsomers and Sea of Souls stuff...beats the heck outta most of our US stuff!

LorraineG
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Thank you thank you Dawn,

I had forgotten it was on. Read your thread and it reminded me. Quickly switched the TV on. I have missed the first half an hour, but I am watching it now :thumbsup:

*Marina*
04-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks Dawn for mentioning this. Great programme.

Dark_Shades
04-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Shucks Sooz....... poor you........ are you being served lol ...
well just watched it, having known nothing about these Painters prior...... except for their names..... I found it quite interesting - what did you guys think?
Dont know what the other episodes are about, but this focused mainly on Monet..... his friends and assocations with Renoir, Cezanne, Bastille, Manet, Degas

Tressa
04-30-2006, 03:09 PM
did you RECORD IT????:D
Tres

Katherine T
05-02-2006, 05:13 AM
I watched it and recorded it - and there is a link to the synopses of all three episodes in one of the related entries on my blog - I forget which.

General consensus seems to be that one of the things that was good was the way that the series is showing the context for the development of specific paintings and then gives a good look at each of the paintings (annotated with title, name of artist and date) at the end of each mini-event within the episode. It also showed the relevance of individual paintings to the artist's lives.

Tressa
05-02-2006, 06:52 AM
ooohh..I will go to your blog and check it out!! I would LOVE to have seen it..Love to have a copy.... :)
Tres

Katherine T
05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Another episode last night - it focused on Degas - but had almost nothing about pastels in it! It's definitely settled into a TV Mini-series format - I keep expecting to see Catherine Cookson has got the credits for the writing - except her stuff is superior to this!

I've commented further in my blog "Taking the Monet" (http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2006/05/taking-monet.html) - plus included links to reviews by 'quality journals' - which you might find illuminating!!! ;)

Dark_Shades
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
- I keep expecting to see Catherine Cookson has got the credits for the writing - except her stuff is superior to this!

a bit of a contradiction lol.......... I like "taking the monet" ..... ha!

ohhhhh well, each to their own..........
unfortunately I missed the second......... I was asleep

too much time on your hands Katherine lol........ all this tv watching..... blogs ;)

Katherine T
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
a bit of a contradiction lol.......... I like "taking the monet" ..... ha!

ohhhhh well, each to their own..........
unfortunately I missed the second......... I was asleep

too much time on your hands Katherine lol........ all this tv watching..... blogs ;)Ah well - I find I don't sleep as much as I get older ;) - actually this was a TV dinner set-up as I wasn't going to miss it - soap opera or not.

Tressa
05-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Katherine, you are too funny:lol:
Tres

sundiver
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Envious.
Well, at least we get Coronation St here, but it's been pre-empted for the hockey playoffs!

Katherine T
05-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Now there's real drama for you!

Dark_Shades
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Now there's real drama for you!

Ditto :) ha ha ha...... will the wobbly walls fall down.......... oh, thats Crossroads :lol: