View Full Version : Medium for making a print appear to be painted

02-27-2002, 03:52 PM
I just had prints made on canvas and they are matte. I would like to use this medium whose name escapes me. You brush it on in such a way that when it dries, transparent, it makes the print look like an oil painting.
Thanks for your help.

02-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Aspiring, the best advice I can give you is to check with a local flatbed press (fine art printmaking) studio about this. They have the means of doing this type work whereas a small studio or printers of other types would not.

I have known people to use oil paints in doing monoprints, but to reproduce a painting for a larger edition you would have to go to a studio of the type I described.

Do an engine search on Printmaking, and then look for studios in your state and area. I know of several in Texas, but you want to be able to work with them through the process step by step to make sure things go to your specifications. That is normal procedure.

02-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your reply.
This is a simpler process of just painting on this transparent medium. It has a name, but it sure eludes me.

02-27-2002, 10:41 PM
If you are talking about a monoprint, that can be done with oils as well as acrylics, or watercolor. I use plexiglass to do my paintings on mainly because I can hold it up to the light and see if I am getting coverage where I want it before I make the print.

You can only get one good print from a monotype though, and usually one or two decent ghost prints.

02-27-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Sassybird, but I guess I am failing to make myself clear. I am not looking to make a print, but to brush on this unknown medium onto a print that is already made on canvas. This stuff enhances it to look like an oil painting. Just like you'd varnish something, but this is thicker and leaves the brush strokes which are applied randomly, not necessarily following any lines in the picture.

03-08-2002, 08:16 AM
You're looking for a medium to brush on a reproduction print, rather than a hand-pulled print (ie. printmaking).

Your best bet is to call a printer (perhaps the one who did your print on canvas?) or a giclee printer and ask them. As they deal with these types of prints they'll know the different options for changing the appearance.

You might also want to ask over the business forum, there are often questions about reproduction prints there and a few artists who do them regularly might remember the name of the stuff you're looking for. :)


03-08-2002, 08:26 AM
Thanks Timelady, I'll give them a "call."

03-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi Aspiring,
The stuff you re thinking of is acrylic gel medium , matte or gloss . ( matte will be slightly cloudy and show up whitish in thick brushstrokes )
The results vary - it works best when the art print is one where the original painting itself was done with very sweeping thick strokes, heavy impasto, like a Ryder or something .


03-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Thank you, Colin. Don't know why I didn't think of that since I have both kinds on my painting table.

03-31-2002, 07:25 PM
LOL I was thinking Decopodge, but I wouldn't use it as it yellows over time

03-31-2002, 07:40 PM
Tracy N
You weren't thinking of Modpodge were you? I had not heard of Decopodge, but now that you've warned me I will avoid it anyway. I am matting these up and putting them behind glass anyway now and wonder why I even went the canvas route with the idea of stretching them. Think the presentation of a finished piece sells better. But I still like the canvas look. Maybe I will try the gloss next time.

03-31-2002, 07:47 PM
Modpodge is just a particular brand name of a decopodge. Modpodging is another of my addictive hobbies LOL But the Acrylic gel is actually made for the purpose and isn't too expensive either. I just looked it up in my Blick catalog and it runs about $15 for a quart (also comes in smaller jars).

Edited to add: I don't think the acrylic gel would yellow