PDA

View Full Version : how to make marble dust boards

pallavi
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi,
In so many posts it has been mentioned about pastel paintings made on the handmade marble dust boards.can somebody tell us (the begginers)how it is made.if possible can somebody also show us what does marble dust looks like.is it like a powder or bit more grainy and also what kind of board is used to make such support.
Is there any other kinds of boards too.like pumice stone dust boards?If yes then how is it made?what is the difference between these two kinds?Which one is better?
Pal

khourianya
04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
I wrote an article on it a while back. You can find it here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/47843/575/

The marble dust is like a fine powder. I paint mine onto illustration board. You can use the same recipue with pumice stone. It's all a matter of preference, really. Making your own boards is fun because you can customize the tooth to however you like it.

chewie
04-21-2006, 10:29 AM
i see there are diff. grits--what are the diff between them? is pumice and marble dust similar grit-wise? i prefer colorfix paper, but would like a cheaper (its not that expensive, but if i can make it cheaper, i'd like to!) alternative, esp. for boards for plein air. is the marble dust a finer grit? making a finer toothed surface? is there diff. grades? i've saved that article, thanks cori!

khourianya
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
The marble dust does make a fairly fine grit board. As for pumice - I haven't experimented with it (yet) but when I do, I will probably play with as many grades as possible to see how I can get the toothiest board. Sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe someone who has played with the pumice can give a better answer.

pallavi
04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
thanks a ton Cori.
you really explained it well.i will try this to be for sure.i also wanted to ask you what is gesso? is it some kind of chemical?where will I find it? I hope the question was not a stupid one but this the first time that i have read about gesso.i meant i have read about gesso only on this forum.
bye
pal

khourianya
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Gesso is an acrylic product, usually used to prime canvas. You can buy it in any arts store and it's relatively inexpensive.