PDA

View Full Version : 2-4-1

JCoop
04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
... or two for one. Twins!... :)

I painted this commission from a tiny little hospital photo. The quality left lots to be desired, but the client wanted a portrait so bad, that I promised to give it my best shot...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2006/30872-twins_scrn1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2006/30872-twins_scrn2.jpg

Painter 9, Acrylics

Elvira
04-20-2006, 05:14 PM
I like this it is so sweet, and I'm sure will be treasured by the client.
Edie

Skinny
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
LOVE it! This portrays the special bond that twins share from BEFORE birth. A question, Joel....when you have two miniature subjects, do you charge for two or for one? :lol:

LadyAlba
04-20-2006, 11:42 PM
They are so darling!! I just love that texture! ;o)

SaraD
04-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Lovely Joel!
I haven´t been around for a while and you´ve change your style a bit since last time. More texture in the canvas and less in the brush. I like this style as well :)

maria_khurram
04-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Lovely portrait. You have captured the most sweet moment very well.:thumbsup:

justjean
04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
You have painted another beautiful precious memory Joel :thumbsup:

TxAggieDarlin
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Very very special...Their parents should be very proud

omniartz
04-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Ahh, now I understand the 2-4-1. . . newborns are so precious! A fine piece of work!! :clap: :)

JCoop
04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the ataboy... Glad you like the twins! I've created another version where I've gotten rid of the texture and blended like a mad man... smooth as a baby's bottom! I'm not in the habit of showing clients two versions and I won't start now (it only confuses them)... I was just so curious to see the disparity.

Do you guys have a preference?...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2006/30872-twins_scrn3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2006/30872-twins_scrn4.jpg

LadyAlba
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Personally I prefer the smooth. ;o) Especially for babies. If it is going on canvas it will have that texture anyway. Right?

JCoop
04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Marge, right you are.;)... The canvas is usually to simulate the resulting canvas print... though sometimes I leave it to make prints and proofs on my personal inkjet printer to give clients a true feel for the resulting canvas print.

... but beyond the canvas texture, the stroke patterns are different... the first being very much more distinct than the latter (blended).

Thanks for your input... it means a lot... I'm really on the fence with this one.

LadyAlba
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Well you have them both now so I would let the client deside LOL that gets you off the limb. :lol:
Well I just missed the part in your post about you wouldn't start showing 2 versions so.....another thought in the textured one the babies skin tends to look blotchy and of course some are when born but the parents never see this (they have a perfect image in their minds eye) in a painting it is very obvious. ;o)

justjean
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Hmmm I'm torn,I think they are both terrific :thumbsup: they both have their own charm :)

Jin
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Joel,

Definitely the second, and I'd suggest softening (losing) the edges around the babies' heads. As it is now, the edges are too hard and harsh and tend to lean toward that pasted-on look.

Besides, babies are soft and everything around them should be, especially when they're brand new to the world like these are.

It's a sweet painting, one any parents would love, to remember their newborn(s) in place of the usual snap shot.

Skinny
04-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Though I usually want to see your brush strokes, I favor the second version for these little guys. :cat:

Elvira
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I too like both but will have to say for the subject I prefer the second one, I also agree with Jin about softening the edges.
Edie

del m
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
#2 my pick,but do think the blue eye on the right makes things unbalanced.

maria_khurram
04-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I prefer the second one.

Chiers
04-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Awwww Joel! How precious are these lil ones! I saw this last night and meant to comment and somehow got sidetracked. It's easy to tell why the parents wanted this for a painting.

As far as which one, as usual I am swimming against the tide. I would say #1 without any doubt. Reason, as always I think a painting should look like a painting. As much expertise as #2 shows, it is too photo like for me.

omniartz
04-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I think that both versions are masterful. It is hard to choose between them. I love the textures in the first, but the smoothness has it's interest as well. Guess I'm no help in selecting a favorite. :lol: Thanks for sharing both! :D

barryt
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
I like the smooth one Joel, more suitable for the subject?

GoldCoin
04-23-2006, 03:46 PM
HI Joel...
Have been meaning to ask about that Acrylic canvas texture brush... see that you have really decreased the texture part in the last few paintings..how is it printing out..especially on a real canvas?
Everything I've read has said not to use texture for printing on the different papers/canvas.

My vote would be for the second painting... however, you might try two different ideas
First being ... use/copy the hair..blanket of the textured version over the smooth version..

Or overlay one and blend to 50% of each...in Photoshop..this should offer the best of both..

JCoop
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Thank you all for weighing in on this topic. It seems that number two is the clear winner among you all. Everyone makes such good sense and I am leaning toward the second version. But what also makes incredible sense to me is this quote by Sher...

I think a painting should look like a painting. As much expertise as #2 shows, it is too photo like for me.

Sher, your statement really resonated with me and spoke to my painter's heart.

My wife likes the second version and says to me that I must consider heavily the clients point of view... which she thinks would lean towards number two.

So I guess I feel like if I were painting for myself, number 1 would be the clear choice, but if a great part of my goal is to please the client, then number 2 will probably prevail.

Not an easy choice... that's why I would never show the client both... it's hard enough for the artist.;)

A sincere thanks to everyone for your kind indulgence in this question.

Have been meaning to ask about that Acrylic canvas texture brush... see that you have really decreased the texture part in the last few paintings..how is it printing out..especially on a real canvas?
Everything I've read has said not to use texture for printing on the different papers/canvas.

GoldCoin, I have heard that repeated by others (even some who I respect as being very knowlegeable when it comes to "Painter") whom I suspect have only read it too. On it's face, the statement sounds very logical, but it's more complicated than that. Texture comes in many forms and I find that the most important thing is too match the texture with the paper or canvas.

Texture is not always a bad thing when printing, even to canvas. A lot depends on how dense the texture is and the resolution of the file... and how that matches the density of texture that exists on the canvas.

One of the nice things about "Painter" is that I can use texture to simulate to a client the feel of a painting, then I can clear the texture before sending it to print. I would also caution you not to take what you read as gospel... experiment on your own to see results and make up your mind with tangible results.

I have many different ways that I send a file for print... sometimes I leave texture based on the circumstances... I do this with confidence, because I have experimented with countless combinations. Experimenting costs some money, but it's worth the solid knowledge.

Or overlay one and blend to 50% of each...in Photoshop..this should offer the best of both..

GC, I like the way your mind works!:thumbsup:... thats she spirit of experimentation that leads too many breakthroughs and interestingly new results. Thanks so much for your comments.:)

Yako
04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Aaaaaah!!!! beautiful sight! :clap: :clap: :clap: like both versions...my fav the last one for the same reason Marge gave. I'm sure your client will love it!