PDA

View Full Version : The finished "Unfinished Painting"

Elvira
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Here is the very first Acrylic painting I have done in many years using real paint on canvas board. It is called "The Unfinished Painting" because the painting within the painting is unfinished. I should have turned the over head light off as it washed some of the colour out in the photo.
Edie

justjean
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Just beautiful Edie :thumbsup: even if I do want to push aside the edge to see what else is in that drawer :)

Elvira
04-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks Jean, actually just the empty brush compartment, LOL.
Edie

Skinny
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
GREAT. Edie! But the painting looks finished....:confused:

del m
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
looks great to me edie

Yako
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Ditto what Kristen said!:)

Elvira
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, Kristen, the photo change the colours quite a bit, but yes it is a finish painting but the painting in it isn't suppose to be it seems I overwork it I should have left it even more sketchy. I could have done this image before and I learned how to get reflections etc using digital painting I find that so exciting. I just wish I didn't tire so quickly when painting as I'd love to try a glass vase and flowers, but considering how long it took me to finish this, the fruit rotted and I still wasn't done had to finish it from memory LOL.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and time off to do some plein air work, landscape is old territory and I hope I can work faster. LOL

Here is another shot that I matted. The background still comes out too bright.
Edie

LadyAlba
04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I love it!! BG looks fine to me but I don't know what you had pictured in your mind when doing it. ;o) Hey that paint drawer looks like mine with the exception I really need to go through my paints and do away with the ones that are next to nothing. LOL

Elvira
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks Marge! I just got my easel so it hasn't got to the messy stage yet but by the end of summer I hope to have it broke in. In the painting the BG isn't as bright though my husband didn't use his flash the lights are reflectiong off the finish varnish I must get some matte varnish finish my Acrylics with so they don't reflect so much, when photographed.

Chiers
04-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Very cool Edie. I love paintings of paintings and other art stuff! It may have been a while since you used real paint but it certainly looks like you didn't forget how. What size is it?

barryt
04-20-2006, 03:59 AM
I love that. Very inventive scene. Like Jean I want a closer look in those drawers. Good colours.

Elvira
04-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks folks! Sherry it is 12X18, don't have room in my apt to get very large LOL.
Edie

cnair
04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
very nice indeed. the composition works well. looking forward to many more.

Chandran

omniartz
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I really like it. I think if you had done more to the BG that it would have been too much. I like the hint of the painting there, and I focus on the foreground. Well done!! :D

Elvira
04-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks cnair and omniartz for your comments. Until I varnished it the background seemed much lighter. I am happy with it as it is actually.
Edie

Skinny
04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
".....the fruit rotted and I still wasn't done had to finish it from memory LOL." (Edie)

ROFL! That's why I like working from photographic references. :D No matter...it turned out great! :thumbsup: Will you frame it?

Elvira
04-20-2006, 10:59 PM
".....the fruit rotted and I still wasn't done had to finish it from memory LOL." (Edie)

ROFL! That's why I like working from photographic references. :D No matter...it turned out great! :thumbsup: Will you frame it?

No, my husband is giving it as is to a Sister at the Motherhouse where he works security. I told him he could before I finished it I kinda wish I hadn't given to him now, but then we mustn't get too precious with our stuff LOL.
Edie

TxAggieDarlin
04-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Very nice......do you always varnish acrylics? I don't think I knew that.uhmmmm Nicely done...

Elvira
04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
To even out the finish on an acrylic it is a good idea to give it a coat of the medium as a varnish, I usually have a bottle of matte for this but haven't got any yet so used the gloss medium instead.

When you don't do this it there often areas of the canvas that will be shiny and other areas that will be matte because of the the amount of medium or lack there of, in the applied paint.
Edie