PDA

View Full Version : framing

claudiamoriarty
04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Is it possible to frame soft pastel under plexiglass if there is a deep enough gap between the art and the plexi? If I double mat, then put a spacer made of foam core cut like a mat and then the artwork plus spray with a fixative will it keep it from being drawn to the plexi? Many places won't accept glass.

Bringer
04-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi,

Check this thread :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339712

There is anti-static acrylic in the market that is anti-static, but I suppose it's expensive. I guess Plexiglass has it.

Best regards,

Josť

PeggyB
04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Is it possible to frame soft pastel under plexiglass if there is a deep enough gap between the art and the plexi? If I double mat, then put a spacer made of foam core cut like a mat and then the artwork plus spray with a fixative will it keep it from being drawn to the plexi? Many places won't accept glass.

The method you describe works pretty well - I've used it myself successfully even when I've shipped the work to a show. Be certain to clean the plexi with a nonstatic cleaner on both sides before framing.

However, I never leave my paintings under plexi once they return from a show. When you say, "Many places won't accept glass.", do you mean competitions or galleries? Galleries that don't accept glass probably aren't the best representation for a pastel artist. To me it indicates they don't understand the properties of the medium.

Peggy

claudiamoriarty
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Can you recommend the nonstatic spray -- what brand? Most galleries I deal with as I am still new prefer plexi. You are saying that it needs to go back under glass afterwards -- that it can't stay under the plexi?

Donna A
04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
I use Novus 1 Plastic Clean and Shine, which is an antistatic, antifog and dust repellent.

Novus Inc. Minneapolis, MN For nearest distributor call 800-548-6872

Now Peggy really, really knows her stuff!!!! But, unlike her, I lazily usually do not reframe my pieces once framed in plexi. I've shipped the paintings several times without any problems with the static issue----BUT I do ALWAYS use fixative----and do NOT darken my paintings because of the way I apply the fix. Here is a link to a page on notes and suggestions about using fixative to your best advantage---and that of your painting.

http://www.aldridgestudios.com/610-Fixative.html

I use either a quarter-inch spacer OR a linen liner, often with a small gold filet. I've just never had any problem with the pastel offsetting onto the plexi. But I'd never try it without using some good layers of fixative. Do check with the information at the above web page, which includes some great comments by Ross Merrill, Head Curator of the National Gallery in Washington DC. Very best wishes!!! Donna ;-}