PDA

View Full Version : WIP Little Maria

Skinny
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Whew! I didn't realize that selecting colors was so tough! I just used the eyedropper before...and if I wasn't satisfied with the result, I used hue, saturation, contrast and lightness filters at the end.

Evidently, I DON'T have a good eye for color. My first attempt at the skin was awful. Poor Maria looked like she was deathly ill and a bit jaundiced. I began adding lots of oranges and pinks. It's better was still not right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2006/23354-Maria.jpg

QUICK QUESTION......Can I use vector selections in Painter? I'd use these like a mask...NO flood filling.

del m
04-17-2006, 09:11 PM
nice job. mym question is when do you use masks layers channels ect.This digital art is quite the learning thing. I am still reading about all these things

Skinny
04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks, del m!

When you use layers depends on how you work. I use layers when I want to make sure I can work on something else close by and not alter that area. For example, here, I painted the eyes ,mouth and hair on separate layers so that I could continue to work on the skin without painting over these areas.

Some others, usually more confident -- like Joel, may not use layers at all, though I suspect that almost everyone creates their background on a separate layer.

justjean
04-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Looking great Kristen :)

barryt
04-18-2006, 04:09 AM
That's looking magnificent Kristen, and I like your skin colours. I only tend to use layers for the background and sometime ornaments like brooches, beads.

maria_khurram
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Sweet, this looks so sweet. Looking for the updates.:)

LadyAlba
04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Looking good! ;o)

Chiers
04-18-2006, 01:24 PM
This is coming along swell. You still can use the eyedropper if you like. I do once in a while but find most of the time it's just easier to get what I want by choosing and mixing my own colors. It really isn't hard once you have some practice. I'd say you are doing very well without it already. And using your own judgement for color gives you so much more choice. I will mention here that one thing that makes our Joels work so gorgeous is the color he uses. That does not come from a color picker. Our reference photos should only be a guide not a duplicate.

As far as vector selections I would recommend that you do not use them either as they tend to make everything look as if it is cut and pasted. A painting shouldn't have such hard edges. When you get used to painting, you will discover techniques that will give you a clean molded edge but not a hard edge. Layers are benifiicial for this too.

I almost always have my background on a separate layer. It depends on what I am doing and how whether its just one of my quickies or not but at times I will have many layers to a painting before I'm finished. I often will paint my eyeballs on a layer underneath the face layer because it usually takes me so many trys to get them right I can do it without disturbing the eyelids.
When painting on layers, 99% of the time I have the preserve transparency box UNchecked, and the pick up underlying color box checked. This gives me pretty much the same result as if I were using traditional paint on a canvas.
I think that Joel has recently discovered the "joy of layers" also.

omniartz
04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Looking good! I also am looking forward to the updates! You go girl! :D

Skinny
04-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, Sherry!

Jean, Marge, Maria and Kirk......The encouragement is MUCH appreciated! :p

digistyle
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Looking good!

I have to agree with Sherry on the vectors. In this case, I think you're better off not using them.

I use layers more, now that I'm using P IX. When I was using 5.5, I painted everything on one layer because I could'nt stand using the floaters. Old habits die hard as I find that probably 75% of my painting process is still done on a single layer.

While we're discussing technique, I have a quick question: Does anyone else use Turtle Wax on their tablet's drawing surface or cover it with paper? I do both, depending on if I want the pen to glide (Turtle Wax) or if I want some resistance (paper). Sorry for the mini-hijack, Skinny!

Skinny
04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, Digi! My tablet is as it came from the box.

Here's where I am with Maria....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2006/23354-Maria2.jpg

LadyAlba
04-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Looking great the colors in the dress really bring out the colors in her skin...good job! :thumbsup:

Skinny
04-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks, Marge! She was a really beautiful child, huh?

TxAggieDarlin
04-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh you have this perfect; I love it. Yeah, I try that color picker, but usually have to mix my own to get what I want....I fight with it all the time:)

I use maybe two layers, background and whatever I am painting. I might go to three on something really detailed, but usually I forget...I have never been good with layers lol

As far as vectors, I think Babs uses them (is that right) and her artwork is outstanding so I guess it is up to the artist.

Skinny
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Aggie!

Here's my final (barring any suggestions)...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2006/23354-Maria3.JPG

omniartz
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Exceptional finish! Very pretty! I love it! :D

Skinny
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Kirk! :cat:

barryt
04-19-2006, 02:08 PM
A beautiful portrait Kristen, I particularly like the arms, the shadows are superb.

Elvira
04-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Well done Kristen!
Edie

justjean
04-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Looks great Kristen :thumbsup: (not even going to mention a bit more contrast in the face might be good :lol: )

Skinny
04-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Jean....:lol: :lol: But you're right!

Thanks, Barry!

Phylax
04-19-2006, 08:19 PM
That's exquisite work...as for the skin colours I think it's just fitting for the girls look that she's a bit on the pale side.
On thing however might still improve the whole thing: I would add a very slight contact shadow to the collar. There's already some on the left side of her throat (the girls right side) but it seems to stop and there's none in the middle. I think it would show better that the cloth lies on the skin and doesn't blend into it.

But that's critique oa very high level. I couldn't even do such a thing as you've shown it so far.

keep up the good work

Phylax

justjean
04-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I guess I should have said that the skin colouring and contrast was a joke between Kristen and I from way back when :lol:

Skinny
04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Phylax...that's a very good suggestion!

LadyAlba
04-19-2006, 10:44 PM
:clap: :clap: Love it!!...I had to laugh on the contrast thing...I remember..good old Loft days! LOL

Skinny
04-20-2006, 06:19 AM
It is a laugh...but, hey...look at our Jean, today! She's terrific! Thanks, Marge. :D

maria_khurram
04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Kristen, this looks so sweet. I adore it a lot.

Skinny
04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Maria! Your opinion mattered most....:heart:

fugitive
04-21-2006, 12:05 AM
The overall is quite good, except one like burp on her forhead, but I have you have the pearls on layers, I even do shadows on a separate one, cause they look look flat on some, and especially on the right, the shadows are too hard;-)

Skinny
04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your comments, Greg! I'll have to smooth the "burps"....I love it...you have the most colorful way of putting things! :D

fugitive
04-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Better than fart is it not? See a burp is a gentle like misstep, a lady burp, even less than a boy or man burp, and the same goes for barfing, if something makes me barf, then is horrid.

Skinny
04-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Greg!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: You must be giving the WC censor a HEART ATTACK! :lol: :D :lol:

fugitive
04-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Better than them giving me one.