PDA

View Full Version : A Gentleman... and a WIP

JCoop
04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
My Dad... smart, funny, talented and most importantly a real gentleman and role model...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2006/30872-dad-scrn1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2006/30872-dad-scrn2.jpg

More to come...

Painter 9, Acrylics

justjean
04-17-2006, 01:50 PM
AWESOME, and Joel now we know who and what you are :lol: Congratulations to your Dad for having and instilling his values in you :thumbsup:

TxAggieDarlin
04-17-2006, 02:09 PM
.........and you can sure see you love him....This is going to be so special

barryt
04-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Super talent and a super Dad, by the look of it.

LadyAlba
04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
:clap: I'm sitting here waiting for this one! BTW I second what Jean said! Tell your dad he did good! :thumbsup:

JCoop
04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
aaaawwww... gosh... you guys are the greatest... excuse me while I blush a while.:o ...:o ...:o Thanks.:o

Update...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2006/30872-dad-scrn3.jpg

Skinny
04-17-2006, 04:39 PM
This is turning out GREAT! The colors are excellent...with just that extra saturation that is the artist's prerogative. :thumbsup:

Joel, you didn't even need to tell us that your dad is smart, funny, a real gentleman and role model -- we see the proof in you! The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. :heart:

TRsWorld
04-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Joel.... I must say I'll never do anything quite this fantastic.

And who am I to critic anything..... but. What do you think about his right (our left) side of the nose? does it seem to be pulling in a bit? Sinking? Just a bit. Maybe he is just smurking. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't even have said anything. But if anyone can fix it (if something is wrong) you can.

Can we see what you are working from? Is it a photograph?

I do love the colors in it. He has kind eyes. :)

justjean
04-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Holy smokes Joel you have done a wonderful job with the texture, strokes and colouring, bet your Dad is proud of you :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Elvira
04-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Well Joel, we know where you got your good looks. Well done job on the painting as usual!
Edie

JCoop
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Okay, this one's history... Thank you all for your great comments.;)

TR, I tried to see what you saw, but I just didn't. That doesn't mean you're wrong... sometimes perceptions can differ. Thanks for your input.

BTW, here's (http://williamycooper.com/) my dads website.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2006/30872-dad-scrn4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2006/30872-dad-scrn5.jpg

LadyAlba
04-18-2006, 12:34 PM
WOW what a finish!! :clap: :clap: Really enjoyed your fathers website and I see where alot of your talent came from. :wave: He is one amazing gentleman! :thumbsup:

Chiers
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Once again Joel, Bravo! Terrific. Has your dad seen this yet? And if so, what is his reaction? After all, who better to critique your work. Well, on second thought, I bet he would just be so pleased he would have a hard time being impartial anyway.

maria_khurram
04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
OH my, I've been late to this party but I think not that late..hehe. Thats another brilliant piece of work. Love the colors shinning on his face. Good looks run through your family.

Joel, you didn't even need to tell us that your dad is smart, funny, a real gentleman and role model -- we see the proof in you! The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.:heart:

Agreed.:)

Love his art too. PS: Is he also a member of WC?

omniartz
04-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Wowsers!! Superb work! handsome guy this gentleman! Reminds me of a friend of mine. Great work on the mustache! :)

JCoop
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks team!

I got really lucky this past weekend when my Dad visited... he gave me a one on one art lesson. Even though he's reknown for his abstract art... he paints portraits effortlessly... like breathing.

Thank you again my fellow artists.:)

Skinny
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
We should have known that, like Maria, art is in your bloodline! I LOVED the mural! Where is that installed?

digistyle
04-18-2006, 07:14 PM
What can I say but "tremendous work." This is as much a character study as it is a portrait. Thanks for showing us how its done!

TRsWorld
04-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Beautiful... it really is awsome. I wish I had a pinky of your talent. :)

fugitive
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
This one is really good, Qs; is the texture added after or during or both, whatever, it's works!!;-))

JCoop
04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi Kristen... he has murals and paintings all over the country... and even in other countries.

Digi, thanks alot.

TR, I doubt that. The great thing about art is that everyone has their own style... that's what make things so interesting.

Hi Greg... the texture is part of the painting process... the results are much more interesting than using the surface texture option.

Thanks.:)

CarlC
04-21-2006, 05:30 PM
There is something about that hat on your dad that just does not look right to me in any of the paintings. Where it connects to the forehead there needs to be something to show some thickness of the material.
As you added more color in subsequent renditions, you lost the detail in the mustach. Its like you used the smudge tool. You also added green to the mustach that just does not go there.
These all have good reflections in the eyes and in the glasses. I really like the skin tones. If I'm looking for a hand painted likeness, I know where to go.

Elvira
04-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Joel, I love this portrait of your Dad, so masterfully done, I do agree the mostach has gotten over worked abit and the green doesn't wuite work there.LOL But over all it is a wonderful painting.
Edie

Elvira
04-21-2006, 11:22 PM
oops

JCoop
04-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Thank you carl and Edie... good points. I'll take another look a those areas. I appreciate your thoughts.:)

fugitive
04-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Kristen... he has murals and paintings all over the country... and even in other countries.

Digi, thanks alot.

TR, I doubt that. The great thing about art is that everyone has their own style... that's what make things so interesting.

Hi Greg... the texture is part of the painting process... the results are much more interesting than using the surface texture option.

Thanks.:)
Ok, now this is important; Texture isn't sposed to work with oil, I thot it only worked with chalk/pastels, and not much else, how? Greg

Shan Khurram
04-23-2006, 01:21 AM
STUNNING!:clap: I really like the lights playing with this portrait. Also like the skin tones.:thumbsup: