PDA

View Full Version : Micah 6:8 WIP

artjunkie101
04-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Hello all! Wasn't really intending to post two pieces in as many days, but I ended up being more productive than I expected on my all-too-brief Easter break. So... I'm working on this piece for my parish priest, who's celebrating the fortieth anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood in a few weeks. He's taken this particular verse as a motto of sorts, which is why I picked it. I'm reasonably happy with the lettering, but failed to plan out any sort of decoration. I feel as though it needs something along the bottom, to fill out that last inch or so (and to keep it a normal-ish size for matting) but I have no idea what. Anyone have any suggestions, or know of any good online resources where I might find some inspiration?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/27920-micah_68_wip.jpg

valchina612
04-17-2006, 04:38 AM
This is a lovely piece Claire -- beautiful Calligraphy. I think just a simple line of Celtic Knots would look lovely at the bottom, but even a leaf design or anything that you like drawing/painting/colouring would be fine I'm sure. I am sure the Priest will be delighted with it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

CPM
04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Claire, Very nice passage. I can see why the priest likes it. To jazz it up some simple knots would be great (we are all into knots recently), or a simple flourish (maybe some small flowers connected with a vine). - Chris

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Claire I agree with everyone that a nice line of celtic knots would finish it off. And this forum is into knotwork right now. The only thing is that the knots are driving me crazy. :evil: :confused: :smug: :eek:

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe. :wave: :D

artjunkie101
04-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all! I'm about to go down and start sketching, so hopefully I'll have it finished by tomorrow morning.

I have to say, it is so nice having this forum here now.

artjunkie101
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I finished this the other day (had to take an extended break, as I went back to school before I could finish), got it matted and framed, etc. I finally decided on a very simple leaf pattern along the bottom. I think it feels a little bit "tacked on" but considering I didn't even begin to think about it until after I finished the lettering completely, that's no surprise. Lack of planning will kill me someday. Anyway, here's the finished piece, in its mat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2006/27920-Micah_68_finished.jpg

Thanks for looking!

TessDB
05-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Nice choices on the matting!

The leaves were a nice choice, too. Well done!

Tess

Anne Granwell
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Excellent Bible verse choice.
Nice rendering.
Your time and effort were well spent.
Blessings,
Anne Granwell