PDA

View Full Version : St. John's Bible

scribblet
04-16-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/

I had the great fortune to see some of the pages from this at the callig. convention in St. Pauls about 3 years ago, it is stunning.

While south this year I attended some St. John's script (developed by Donald Jackson) study group with the Callig. guild down there.

If anyone is interested the bible is going on tour next year, I believe the first stop is Naples, Florida around January, this is a must see for me.

I did get to see the Ink and Blood exhibit in St. Petes, that too was a good exhibit.

cheers and Happy Easter to all.

artjunkie101
04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Hmm...I have mixed feelings about the St. John's Bible. It's gorgeous, to be sure--beautiful calligraphy, illuminations, etc, and I applaud their efforts to keep the art of calligraphy alive, especially since calligraphy and sacred texts have such a long history. But, I feel like stylistically, it can't quite make up its mind if it wants to be more traditional or more modern. It doesn't make it less incredible, but it's a little distracting, looking at images that range from precise and controlled botanical drawings to Celtic knotwork to loose and painterly illustrations.

It's still very interesting to look at though, and if it ever comes near me, I'll definitely go have a look.

Thanks for sharing!

scribblet
03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Well, I got to see the exhibit in Naples Fla; well worth the drive for me. It is magnificient, I even bought the book. :)-

My, the work going into it is something else, pages of calf skin vellum prepared and quills cut. The only time I got to write with a quill on real vellum was in Reggie Ezell's class and it was wonderful, one of these days I will try to get a piece of the real mccoy ! allready prepared though.

I was fortunate enough to see a a few pages at the Calligraphy conference at St. John's Mn. about 3? years ago and enjoyed a talk by Sally Mae on cutting quills, I never did get the hang of it.

cheers

Anne Granwell
06-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I, too, would truly relish seeing the St. John's Bible exhibit.
However, from what I have seen of the art in St. John's Bible it does not hold a candle to the great religious theme art by such as Gustave Dore, Albrecht Dürer, Matthias Grünewald, Rembrandt van Rijn, William Blake, et al.
Thank You for Sharing,
Anne Granwell

Alex22
11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
When I heard of it I was excited abou it,I expected something better.I saw some pages on the internet,and like Anee Granwell said from what I have seen of the art in St. John's Bible it does not hold a candle to the great religious theme art of the old masters or the medieval monks who worked the manuscripts.Perhaps some people might like it, but personally I didn't like it that much.

scribblet
01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised at those comments, I thought it was very well done and well worth the trip to Naples. (don't know where it is now) Maybe it is too modernistic, as I do admit I'm partial to the older more traditional type illumination.

Alex22
01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Me too.I'm more into the traditional type illumination.Hmm,I finally might try to make my illuminated gospels.I'll see what turns out.Cheers.