PDA

View Full Version : Sketch of Maria

Skinny
04-16-2006, 09:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/23354-Maria_sketch.jpg

This is my rough sketch in preparation for painting Maria.

I have never bothered to sketch anything (or trace) before. My method has always been to take off "painting over".

How do the rest of you go about making that preliminary reference? How much detail do you include? How often do you need to refer back to the photo (or live subject)? Do any of you include color?

This is so new for me!

barryt
04-16-2006, 12:36 PM
A good sketch Kristen. I would only sketch that much if I was making a drawing. If it is a sketch for a painting, I would leave out the necklace and pattern and shading. the purpose of my sketch is to place the large items correctly. I can add the things like the beads and patterns directly without sketching once I have the painting there.

justjean
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
WOW Kristen if that is a sketch and not a tracing you should have been doing your paintings freehand all along:clap: , and I agree with what Barry said :)

Skinny
04-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Barry and Jean...that's exactly the sort of advice I needed! Jean, I should have said "a loose tracing"...sorry...:o

digistyle
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
How often do you need to refer back to the photo (or live subject)?
"The subject is in front of you, not on your paper. The information is up there."
A phrase that I heard often in life drawing sessions. The instructors always wanted us to spend most of our time viewing the model, not our pads.

Skinny
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Hmmm, thanks for sharing that, Digi! I felt guilty looking at the ref.

LadyAlba
04-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Great start I always have the ref next to the one I am painting LOL my memory is almost non existant at times and I sure would not want to rely on it LOL

Skinny
04-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Okay, I can stop feeling guilty about that!

JCoop
04-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Kristen, this is great!... nice to see you posting in the alley.:) Barry is right, most of the time it's only necessary to sketch the "landmarks" for placement and proportion.

You've been given excellent feedback, so I'll just take a seat.

I'm really going to enjoy watching this one unfold.:)

Skinny
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Joel! Digi's remark has made me think most about the ALL IMPORTANT role of observation in painting.