PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of the Shamrock is finally done

Merry Scribe
04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Every one I have finally finished the Legend of the Shamrock and I hope that you like it.

Sorry Tess I had to get away from the knot practice for awhile it was driving me crazy. But I hope you will like this and forgive me I promise today I will get back to the knot practice. I know practice makes perfect and I want to WIN over these knots.

This is the Shamrock that I did.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/75646-Legend_of_the_shamrock2.jpg

This is a close up of the hand

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/75646-Legend_of_the_shamrock3.jpg

and the completed work

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/75646-Legend_of_the_shamrock.jpg

This was done on vellium and I used gouache for ink.

I hope that you like it and I am so sorry it took so long to finish it does look better in person I am sorry for the bad photography.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe.:wave: :D

Merry Scribe
04-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I scaned the Legend of the Shamrock to see if it woulld come out better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2006/75646-Shamrock_001.jpg

Yes it does look better.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe. :wave: :D

artjunkie101
04-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Very nice! I love the hand you used--readable and clear but lovely. You do great work.

viking57
04-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi Brian,
This came out very nice! That vellum looks a shade green....does it come in various colors or that just my eyes playing tricks. I like your shamrock design and the gold border really finishes it off. The caligraphy of course looks great! Very nice work Brian.
Ron

valchina612
04-17-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi Brian,

Oh Wow, this is wonderful. I love your Calligraphy -- beautifully done and very easy to read, and the Border is fantastic. I just love the Gold around the edge -- you've made a super job of it. I am glad you took your time to do it Brian, as you have a beautiful masterpiece here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

TessDB
04-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry Tess I had to get away from the knot practice for awhile it was driving me crazy.

Argh! My evil plot has been revealed! :lol:

Wonderful finish on this Brian. The shamrocks are really nicely done.

Tess

CPM
04-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Brian, The completed work is great! I like the gold accent in the shamrocks. It really make 'em stand out. Awesome!! - Chris

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Very nice! I love the hand you used--readable and clear but lovely. You do great work.

Thank you Claire for your kind words. I use different nibs to write in a hand you are actually the artist when it comes to calligraphy because you do it with a brush.

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Brian,
This came out very nice! That vellum looks a shade green....does it come in various colors or that just my eyes playing tricks. I like your shamrock design and the gold border really finishes it off. The caligraphy of course looks great! Very nice work Brian.
Ron

Thank you very much Ron for your kind words especially from you one that can make his drawings look like photos.

Ron to answer your question about the vellum I do my work on transparent micro vellum then I can place what ever kind of color paper I want behind it. And yes it is green and your eyes are just fine.

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Brian,

Oh Wow, this is wonderful. I love your Calligraphy -- beautifully done and very easy to read, and the Border is fantastic. I just love the Gold around the edge -- you've made a super job of it. I am glad you took your time to do it Brian, as you have a beautiful masterpiece here. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Val my guiden Angle thank you so much for your kind words and your praise. You do not know how much your opinion means to me. And it I can please you than I am happy with my work. I tell Annie (my wife) how much this web site has helped me and how great everyone is here. I also tell her when you all say something is good it means more than anyone else, except Annie.

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Argh! My evil plot has been revealed! :lol:

Wonderful finish on this Brian. The shamrocks are really nicely done.

Tess

Thank you Tess and now I can do more practice on my Knots. I do really want to be able to use knots in my calligraphy especially when I use Uncial.

Merry Scribe
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Brian, The completed work is great! I like the gold accent in the shamrocks. It really make 'em stand out. Awesome!! - Chris

Thanks Chris for your kind words and the wonderful nibs. I used your nibs in this project. So this project would not have been this nice if it hadn't for you. Thank you very much.

scribblet
04-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Thank you very much Ron for your kind words especially from you one that can make his drawings look like photos.

Ron to answer your question about the vellum I do my work on transparent micro vellum then I can place what ever kind of color paper I want behind it. And yes it is green and your eyes are just fine.

Now I'm intrigued, I don't know that kind of vellum, do you have a link for your surce, is it John Neal?

Have you ever used the quills, I tried it on vellum once, it is a different experience than using nibs?

Also, how do you rule up on vellum....so many questions, sorry.

I just did a search and now I'm confused, are we talking about the real mcoy as in animal skins, or paper?

thanks

Merry Scribe
04-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Now I'm intrigued, I don't know that kind of vellum, do you have a link for your surce, is it John Neal?

Have you ever used the quills, I tried it on vellum once, it is a different experience than using nibs?

Also, how do you rule up on vellum....so many questions, sorry.

I just did a search and now I'm confused, are we talking about the real mcoy as in animal skins, or paper?

thanks

We have a Dick Blick store close to us and that is where I get my vellum. It comes in packs of a hundred sheets 8.5 x 11 for $10.00. And yes it is real animal skin.

No I haven't use a quill as of yet I would like to learn how to make my own quills but I have just not got around to it.

I also some times get my velllum from WalMart but they are very exspensive the price is $4.00 for 10 sheets 12 x 12.

scribblet
04-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I looked in Dick Blick and all I could find is the drafting type tracing papers.
I've never seen vellum that cheap, is it calfskin and do you have to scrape it and prepare it first? (parchment is sheepskin) It sounds like its allready prepared, I'll have to try it next year when I'm in the U.S. I'll have it delivered there as its cheaper.

This is the only type of real vellum I've seen.
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Supplies_--_Vellum.html?L+scstore+dmmy7439fff40bf4+1152678656

cheers

Merry Scribe
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I looked in Dick Blick and all I could find is the drafting type tracing papers.
I've never seen vellum that cheap, is it calfskin and do you have to scrape it and prepare it first? (parchment is sheepskin) It sounds like its allready prepared, I'll have to try it next year when I'm in the U.S. I'll have it delivered there as its cheaper.

This is the only type of real vellum I've seen.
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Supplies_--_Vellum.html?L+scstore+dmmy7439fff40bf4+1152678656

cheers

It is calfskin and yes it is already prepared. The only place I have been able to get it is at the store itself.

What you don't have a Dick Blick store in Canada.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe. :wave::D