PDA

View Full Version : Purple Glow

Golden Kfir
04-16-2006, 01:33 AM
I started the first step yesterday. I used a purple wash that consisted of mineral spirits and purple oil pastels (Neopastels is the brand) for the foundation. I choose purple because it's dark and neutral. I like it because it can be easily manipulated to be either warm or cool.

Today I finished the second step. I have found that the yellows and pinks go very well with purple. They curate a glow effect that it very effective.

Josh

ColorMyWorld
04-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Josh,
Interesting technique.
I started something similar but using ResNGel rather than mineral spirits. With the gel it was taking 2 days to dry between layers. I got frustrated and stopped.
How is this working with mineral spirits?

Pat Isaac
04-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Nice technique and the complimentary colors are working nicely together.

Pat

Golden Kfir
04-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Josh,
Interesting technique.
I started something similar but using ResNGel rather than mineral spirits. With the gel it was taking 2 days to dry between layers. I got frustrated and stopped.
How is this working with mineral spirits?

Mineral spirits are great. They completely dry in 30 minutes. I use Neopastels too. That makes a difference too. The have more wax then other brands, yet they have a pure color. I believe they're the best for adding mineral spirits.

sundiver
04-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I'll be following this with great interest! Interesting observation about Neopastels and mineral spirits, too- must check that out. I've found when I use turpenoid it creates a slick surface that's difficult to layer over.

Golden Kfir
04-17-2006, 08:30 PM
I use turpenoid it creates a slick surface that's difficult to layer over. Mineral spirits are very similar. I use a fake canvas paper made by Canson. In this case its 16 x 20. The bigger the piece is the more essential the foundation is.

Golden Kfir
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
I added turquoise to the third step. It's very powerfu,l it makes the purple allot darker.

Golden Kfir
05-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Here is another step that I just completed. I feel better about this one.

Pat Isaac
05-07-2006, 10:14 AM
This is starting to take shape. I really like the way you render the transparent material.

Pat

laika
05-07-2006, 02:01 PM
i've been using that Canson paper too. i've got some Turpenoid Natural that i can try wash effects with the harder student-grade OPs i've been using.

my old monitor is failing, so i can't appreciate what you're doing with colors, but thanks for the info on the methods and materials.

chsm
05-07-2006, 02:33 PM
yes yes yes kfir i'm following 2! fake canvas paper? does this work as well for oil or pastel? thx chris

Golden Kfir
05-13-2006, 01:56 PM
yes yes yes kfir i'm following 2! fake canvas paper? does this work as well for oil or pastel? thx chris
It works good for oil paints and oil pastels. I wouldn't recommend it for normal/dry pastels.

The Art Corner
05-13-2006, 04:51 PM
This is really cool thanks for sharing so much of your technique with us.

hopalong
05-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I would never have imagined how the colors you are using are yielding such rich results! This is a really interesting project you are sharing. Thanks for the step by step posts. I'm taking good notes for the future. Right now I'm still wearing training wheels!

Golden Kfir
05-21-2006, 02:09 AM
In this step I found that pink was a great for establishing the form by scribbling. Its light and neutral. Any mistakes were easy to correct. I feel its close to completion.

Josh

Pat Isaac
05-21-2006, 10:01 AM
This has such a nice soft, dreamy feeling to it. Great transparent fabric.

Pat

Golden Kfir
05-27-2006, 11:13 PM
In this step I rotated the picture every 20 minutes as I worked. It helped working it sideways and upside down. It was nice to see things different. The direrent angles were fresh to the eye an helped me get unstuck.

Josh

k9artisan
05-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Nice job Josh! Is this someone you know? You handle transparent fabric really well too. Good work!
Amber

Golden Kfir
05-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Thank you for all of the feedback. I believe I may be done. I even sighed my name. lol. This is a wedding gift. The bride is Jewish so I made a Star of David for the ring. I believe the symbolism adds interest.

Josh

Pat Isaac
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
What a nice gift. The purple tones make for a really nice soft feel.

Pat

Golden Kfir
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I think I have corrected the "midget arm." lol I'm not sure I know what else it needs. In the second pic I cropped it. I think its a good option.

hopalong
06-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow, does this look great. Lovely job!! Thanks for taking us along on your journey step by step.

Golden Kfir
06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I feel I have made more progress on this one. I've decided to crop it down the camera pics up some errors that aren't there in real life. I feel I may be done. :)

Pat Isaac
06-18-2006, 02:30 PM
I really do like the crop. It works...great job.

Pat

CarlyHardy
06-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks again for sharing all the steps! It's wonderful to watch as the image seems to emerge from the background and take form. Lovely palette...both romantic and ethereal.

I like the mineral spirits for underpainting also because it dries quickly. I also use turpenoid when I'm out of m.s. :)
carly