PDA

View Full Version : My first commission!

artjunkie101
04-15-2006, 10:46 AM
A few months back I did two calligraphy pieces to donate to two silent auctions fundraisers (one for my church, one for my old middle school), in hopes that if more people saw my work they'd want to buy some. Well, my plan actually worked! Someone saw one of the pieces and liked it so much that she asked me to do a similar one for her, since she wasn't able to go to the fundraiser. Now, I'm a little disappointed that my first sale/commission is more or less a copy of a previous work, but I'm still really excited about it. (And on the plus side, I had a chance to improve on parts I didn't like.) if you feel like you've already seen this piece, that's why. So anyway, here's my most recent calligraphy and my first sale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2006/27920-TKC_2.jpg

It's 5x8", done in acrylic ink on ivory textured Strathmore paper. The photo is a little distorted and the red in the letters isn't quite so electric in real life, but the blue is right.

C&C welcome, thanks for looking!

valchina612
04-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Claire, this is quite stunning, and congratulations on receiving your first Commission. May this piece create even more for you, as your work is certainly great. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

scribblet
04-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Its lovely, I've never tried lettering in acrylic inks, although I've tried the pearlescents, they are currently getting hard in a drawer.

What nibs did you use for that ?

Merry Scribe
04-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Congrats Claire nice work and I hope that you get many more commissions.

Brian your friendly nieghborhood scribe. :wave: :D

artjunkie101
04-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your kind words, everyone. :)

Scriblett: I actually used a small brush for both the lettering and the decoration. I've been a painter longer than I've been a calligrapher and for now at least, I still feel I have more control with a brush.

CPM
04-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Claire I like the colors in this. The vinework is cool. Congratulations on the commission and my hopes for many more to come! - Chris

Anne Granwell
06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Congratulations on your first commission.
Fine job.
' Peace', Anne Granwell